POA poll have you canceled?

cruise182

Have you or would you cancel your POA cruise?  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or would you cancel your POA cruise?

• I have canceled my POA cruise due to reviews.
    • If I could cancel my POA cruise I would but I am under the penalty.
    • I was going to book POA but after reading reviews i have decided to look into other options
    • I am not cancelling because I beleive it is not that bad or it will get better

I'm not really buying all the negativity all that much. Sure, I understand that some folks have had pretty bad experiences, and sure, I know that POA is not up to the standard of some (most) other liners just now, but I've read plenty of positive things as well, if not in the main reviews, and I think a large element is how you approach the trip...we know what we are getting into, and while it's not perfect, it's Hawaii!! I appreciate the negative comments, and what I've learned about how to best enjoy the POA, and those things will certainly add to my experience (like when's best to eat, or book for the dining rooms, and all these sort of things), but we're going to have a blast! And with all the folks who are cancelling, we'll get much better service anyway from the staff who are there :)

Angus

I believe things will get better. If they had some of the top brass on board this week, of course things wouldn't turn around this quick. I'm going to give it another couple of months, and then decide what to do. I am still convinced it will get better. Maybe part of the trouble is getting enough help licensed to work on the ship, and that in conjunction with quite a few of the experienced crew scheduled to go on vacation right about now, could explain at least part of the problems.

We called out TA today and was told that we could get 100% of our money back, we leave on Sunday, 9/5. Then we discussed it (I am travelling with my husband and two other couples). We tried to price Hawaii on land and it would cost us about 1500-1800 more. And that would be just Oahu and Maui. Eating in Hawaii is very expensive. We just cannot afford it. So we are going to brave the trip, enjoy the islands to the fullest. After all, its Hawaii, and we are going to spend as much time on land as possible. I am glad to see that some of you folks are sticking around and not giving up.

I'm not really buying all the negativity all that much. Sure, I understand that some folks have had pretty bad experiences, and sure, I know that POA is not up to the standard of some (most) other liners just now, but I've read plenty of positive things as well, if not in the main reviews, and I think a large element is how you approach the trip...
I feel like I'm watching the lemmings as they approach the cliffs!:eek: When major travel agents are choosing to not recommend the Pride of Aloha and some are flatly refusing to book her, it seems to me that not taking NCL's offer to cancel with full refund for the next 30 day cruise schedule is very foolish.:rolleyes: We were booked for the 9-19 sailing and our TA contacted us on 8-25 to inform us of NCL's offer of a full refund (due to known service issues). She further stated that her agency (one of the biggest in the industry) would waive their cancellation penalties as well. She also said that at this time her agency would not offer cruises on the Pride of Aloha because it no longer met their standards!

It's time to wake up and smell the coffee! Based on the continuing manpower deficiencies and the horrendous difficulties in acquiring and training US crew members, it is going to take several months (IMHO) to get this cruise to a point where it is an acceptable product. For those who would like to take the time to review my past posts on the POA issues, you will find that I have tried my best to be optimistic. Well, it was time for us to abandon ship.:( We will reconsider an NCLA cruise in the future when we see some consistent positive reviews.

Craig

As it stands now ( 9pm EST) 60% are hanging in and 40% either canceled or reconsidered the POA!!!

I understand this is hardly a large cross section but never the less it is a small cross section of the CC boards and I am a little shocked by the numbers. I had no idea that 40% of the respondents would not be cruising POA due to the information they have gathered. And an astonishing 30% have canceled!!

Craig, I am really surprised by your comments. You had some pretty harsh words for me a few weeks ago supporting NCL.

I was booked for the POA sailing 12/12 and cancelled 1 1/2 weeks ago and feel much better about it now. I was able to rebook the Diamond Princess- same ship previously sailed but a new itinerary of the Mexican Riviera. Never been. Amazingly what we paid for 1 person on the POA we booked for the two of us total on the Diamond, not including cabin credit. Princess has done well for us in the past and although I am really regretting not being able to see Hawaii from the ship I look forward to rebooking when things turn around. Look for me to be one of the first ones to happily set sail! Or... perhaps NCL will lose the monopoly and other cruise lines will step in. Either way, I really want to do a 1 week inter-island itinerary to Hawaii.

We just cancelled a family reunion cruise of 1/2/05 for 5 cabins based on Cruise Critics reviews. Rebooked on Carnival Pride at 1/2 the price for same dates. Will miss Hawaii and may try Hawaii cruise again when things are under control, assuming this entity does not go out-of-business while we are waiting.

Craig, I am really surprised by your comments. You had some pretty harsh words for me a few weeks ago supporting NCL...
I still don't have a problem with the NCLA explanation of their resort fee/service charge. However, I sincerely hope that this money is making its way back to the crew. It has just become glaringly apparent to me that it is going to take a long time for NCLA to bring this cruise up to acceptable standards.

I think that your choice for an alternative cruise sounds terrific. We were not disappointed with our two Princess cruises. We have a pre-cruise stay planned in Waikiki, but instead of boarding a ship in Honolulu, we will be boarding an airplane bound for Kauai. We rented a deluxe condo at Poipu Beach for the seven days we would have been on the POA. It will cost us less than the POA cruise for the condo, food, the inter-island plane fare and a rental car. So, it sounds like we have both made the best of this fiasco!:D Hope you have a wonderful Princess cruise.:)

Craig

Our answer to the poll would be "not yet". Since we have another 4 weeks before we get to the period of 30 days before sailing. The latest news is not that encouraging still. The story line has not changed significantly in these postings since I started monitoring them two weeks ago.

Good luck to all of you who are still going and not giving up. I sincerely hope your optimism pays off and enjoy your cruise in spite of all these negative reports.

I say Godspeed to all of you willing to press ahead. As for me, I was on the 8-8 sailing, and I can honestly say this:

I would not cruise on the Pride of America again even if you gave me the cabin for free.

My fellow passengers and I did not deserve a product that clearly was not ready for distribution. It was insulting, to say the least.

But I did see improvements along the way. Those planning to travel in September and beyond can take solace in the likelihood that things are getting better day by day.

The American workers are rally working hard. They want to provide the service that their customers expect. And in time, with more additions to the staff, they will be able to offer that very service.

Somebody let me know when that happens.

CF

I do think that you have to give the cruise line credit for refunding everyones money. It would seem that they acknowledge the problem. It only makes sense from a business stand point that they would be trying to make corrections because they could not afford to keep offering full refunds.

Carol

Best wishes for a great vacation too, Craig:D Just got back from Kauai, it was amazing. I just discovered there is a Roy's restaurant in Poipu, will have to try it some time. Stayed in the Princeville area and missed the activities that are closer to Poipu. Just fyi, there is currently a monk seal and her newborn pup staying along the shoreline at the Marriott in that area, hope you get to see it. There was an article about it in the paper the day we left. :)

We did cancel our booking for the 11/28/04 sailing. After going through the Pride of America to Pride of Aloha rebooking process, we did not feel any great excitement about taking a chance this cruise would be better by the date we sail. Since we already had our airline tickets, we converted this trip into a land vacation of two islands. We will reconsider another Hawaii cruise at a later date and possibly with another line. Maui and Oahu here we come!!!

We are on the 1/23/05 POA and still have 2 months before final payment so we will wait and see how the reviews run during that time. In the meantime, I am planning a land based Hawaii vacation just in case. If things improve and I make the final payment, I can always cancel the land based reservations.

Early on it looks like going land based, and trying to get to 2 or 3 islands, will be a lot more expensive than the cruise. I believe the "Floating Motel" scenario makes taking the POA, (even under standards lower than normal cruising), a little more easier to live with. The amount of port time is another saving grace.

$35. refund is not a lot of money to a person who has paid a lot to go on this cruise.

I thought i read that they were giving full refunds right up to the date of the cruise, if someone changed their mind about the cruise.

When we first heard that NCL was planning on a ship to sail a 7 day inter-island itinerary our cruise group was ready to book for 2005. Then the Pride of America sank in Germany and we were disappointed. Then when we heard that NCL Sky would take over the 7 day cruise as Pride of Aloha we were ready to book...again. Unfortunately with things not going to well, we've changed next summers cruise plan. If NCL America improves its product we'll be more than happy to give them the business and sail around the islands. If not, we'll just go somewhere else in the world :)

We canceled our 11/14/04 POA trip due to the reviews. We were determined to hang in there, but things just seemed to stay the same or in some cases, got worse with the crew vacationing or leaving. We rebooked with RCCL Jewel of the Seas for the same time period ($1000 cheaper too:) not to mention $400/person lower airfare). We are, however, closely watching the POA for improvements and will not hesitate to sail when things start to turn around and stabilize. Hopefully that will happen sometime in 2005.

For now....Western Caribbean here we come:p :D !!!

Mike & Sandy

I haven't cancelled yet as the final payment date is still about a month out. However, I did put down a deposit on an "alternate" cruise in case I do cancell. My TA, whom I've grown to trust, assures me that all of his "sources"--trade publications, colleagues, etc.--state that the POA will be turned around within six weeks. Perhaps he knows something about the "trouble shooters" that I don't. However, I'm not so optomistic as the POA has maintained the status quo or even diminished over the last eight weeks. Further, whose to say they improve things, and then they revert back to being bad?

While I'm leaning to cancelling--I booked an 11-night Southern Caribbean w/ air to San Juan slightly cheaper than the POA with 3-day precruise with air--as I know what I'll get on RCI while I'm not sure what I'll get on POA. However, my wife is set on visiting Hawaii, so we'll probably plan a land trip for sometime this summer.

There are other Cruise lines that do Hawaii you people realize right?

I know they have to go to Fanning Island or what not and that takes a while, but I did the POA Repo cruise from SF to Hawaii and I enjoyed the time at sea. I didn't enjoy the Management Blunders on the POA but I did enjoy the sea time. I was relaxing with no where to go ... and pretty much on this ship ... not much to do. I did unwind, when I was not foraging for food or drink.

If you want to see the Hawaii on a resonably run ship.... do it ... and enjoy your days at sea!

I thought i read that they were giving full refunds right up to the date of the cruise, if someone changed their mind about the cruise.

You are correct I believe. Anyone, right now, that cancels will get their money back. Someone did say this applies even to the day of sailing. I haven't seen that in print and think I might even question it, but yes, cancel and you get your money back. Already sailed, you certainly couldn't not expect a full refund.

NMNita

Archived