Paris Excursions and Le Havre

hurwitz5

We will be sailing on Celebrity's Infiniti in September, and docking in Le Havre. It is our first time in Paris and we would like to pick the best Celebrity excursion for seeing the sights. If you have taken a Celebrity excursion in Paris, we would like to hear your recommendation.

Also, is there much to see in Le Havre?

Thanks.

As to LeHavre.....there is not much in that city to interest cruisers. As to Paris, the problem with all the excursions is that you spend over 5 hours getting back and forth to Paris and not enough time in Paris. In fact, months would not be long enough in one of our favorite cities. Since there are so many things to see, do, eat, and drink in Paris there is no right or wrong when picking an excursion of just going on your own. You need to do some research on the city and just choose whatever itinerary works best for you.

Hank

Agree with post above and there better ways of seeing Paris when it comes to cruises. OP, if your cruise has a port day in Le Havre, then I am guessing your cruises either embarks or disembarks from a port close to London. That makes Paris easier as a pre-cruise or post cruise destination. London and Paris are less than 2.5 hours from each other by high speed train and the cost is pretty cheap and you can bring your luggage aboard at no additional cost. It might make sense to do 3-4 days in Paris and that will get you a taste of Paris. These cruise ship excursions get you up and down the Eiffel Tower or to the Louvre and then it's time to go back on your train ride back to LeHavre. Is that worth it? Paris is such a cool city to just be in and walk around. It's such a great vibe that you will never get from a quick excursion from Le Havre.

Thanks for the input. We know that one day in Paris is not enough, however, we are trying to make the best use of our time while there. On this trip, we are spending 3 days pre-cruise in London - no time for extra days in Paris. Regarding our shore excursion options, would a 1 hour boat ride down the Seine to view the sights be worth the time? It is part of one of the shore excursions.

Is Le Havre your last port-of-call before the cruise ends in Southampton/Dover?

If so, you could jump-ship in Le Havre, spend a few days in Paris post-cruise & fly back from Paris.

Frequently done by CC members, permission from the ship is needed but I've never heard of any refusal or conditions attached. An open-jaw return flight home to London then Paris to home should be no more expensive than a London return flight.

Just a thought

JB :)

Thanks for the input. We know that one day in Paris is not enough, however, we are trying to make the best use of our time while there. On this trip, we are spending 3 days pre-cruise in London - no time for extra days in Paris. Regarding our shore excursion options, would a 1 hour boat ride down the Seine to view the sights be worth the time? It is part of one of the shore excursions.

IMHO Yes. It will be a relaxing way of getting a nice overview.

You would be better served to take the Eurostar from London early in the morning to Paris and then back at night...you could then spend the whole day in Paris and still 2 days in London.Just a thought.It is easy to do as well.

Is Le Havre your last port-of-call before the cruise ends in Southampton/Dover?

If so, you could jump-ship in Le Havre, spend a few days in Paris post-cruise & fly back from Paris.

Frequently done by CC members, permission from the ship is needed but I've never heard of any refusal or conditions attached. An open-jaw return flight home to London then Paris to home should be no more expensive than a London return flight.

Just a thought

JB :)

That was my thought as well. On our stop in Le Harve we did the Normandy sights but I bet 30 or more people disembarked and I assume headed to Paris.

Hurwitz

You have clearly made your arrangements to spend your post-cruise time in London so just stick with that and think about another cruise in Europe some time so you can spend more tine in Paris!! As others have said you spend a lot of your day travelling to and from Paris so you won't have much time there at all.

We're lucky that we used to live in SE England and were able to go to Paris quite a few times. We felt a bit far away from the sights when we did the boat trip on the Seine, although we got a great view of Notre Dame. We actually enjoyed just walking in Paris but as time doesn't allow for that, I'd go for a panorama coach tour then choose ONE of the places near the drop-off point to spend your (short) free time. If I had to choose one thing to do I'd choose the Musee d'Orsay where all the French Impressionists are exhibited, but go to the talk about Paris when you're on board Infinity and that may help.

Archived