Best cruise line for quiet, laid back types?

evanzoo

Of the 3 you list I'd suggest Celebrity or one of the Radiance Class RCCL ships (Jewel, Brilliance, etc.). Also look at Windstar Cruises. Yes, they are more expensive but this truly was the nicest cruise we've ever been on. A lovely week to sail from Lisbon to Barcelona. I keep drooling over their catalog and someday hope to sail with them again.

Based on the three you have suggested, the "luxury" lines may be more than you are willing to spend, but the atmosphere may be more to your liking. Depending on the sailing and the time, you can sometimes find deals that make a luxury line cruise only slightly more expensive than the mass market lines. Check out Seabourn and Silver Seas, which each use smaller, more intimate ships.

NCL, RCL and Carnival cater to families so will have the youngest pax, and the most kids.

The next tier up, Princess, Celebrity, HAL .. they will have older folks but more subdued.

Im quiet in person, I bring my books, and perfectly happy on any line. If they want to do a hairy chest contest, I dont have to watch if its not my thing.. or whatever. I make my own quiet time.

We would like to take a cruise next year. We are looking at Celebrity, Norwegian & Royal Caribbean. We are not "party" types. We are more quiet & laid back . Any suggestions?

Thank you!

I would definitely choose Celebrity. Very laid back. Cruised on the Equinox two years ago...almost too quiet for our taste. However, the public rooms were the most beautifully decorated of any we have seen at sea.

Royal Caribbean (most recently on the Freedom of the Seas) is a bit more glitzy and active. However, you can do as much or as little as you care to do. You will always find a nice quiet deck to go off to.

We found Princess to be similar, yet not as active as Royal Caribbean. The Princess ship we were on, the Crown, was not glitzy at all. We found the atmosphere to be very homey and welcoming.

We are sailing this January on the Emerald Princess.

To sum it up....in order of laid back, my opinion is...Celebrity, Princess then Royal Caribbean.

Have been on Holland America but it was many, many moons ago! and...never on Norweigan.

Good luck in making your choice. I'd be happy to answer any other questions. :)

Edited by JBM

The thing about cruising....you don't HAVE to participate in any "party-type" activities. You can be as laid-back as you like! So, pick the cruiseline/ship/cabin based on other criteria. NCL has no "formal" nights, if not dressing for dinner is part of your laid-back attitude. If you don't mind making an effort at dinner, then ANY of the lines will suit you! (We aren't "play well together" folks, either and don't participate in the activities). But, we do enjoy dressing nicely for dinner and evening things....and there's always quiet places on the ship to hang out, if you don't want to be part of the masses!

Edited by cb at sea

out of the 3 you posted ...."X".....also too you will get older passengers on average on longer cruises--when we did our Panama Canal cruise on NCL the average age was 65+ and that cruise was VERY LAID BACK and EASY GOING!

Edited by STARFISH*4

Princess would be good for you too.

I agree , we are quite (not party type) people and we really find Princess to be a good fit for us. You can be as busy as you want , or do nothing but cruise.

Cori

• 4 years later...
NCL, RCL and Carnival cater to families so will have the youngest pax, and the most kids.

I cannot speak of the other cruise lines, but most Carnival cruises don't have a ton of kids on there. They really aren't appropriate for kids anyway, Carnival is more of a party ship (loud music, dancing, drinking, similar to night club atmosphere). Yes, you can maybe find a way to get away from it but who wants to stay hidden away in a quiet corner somewhere, we really just want a ship that is less of a party atmosphere and more relaxing enjoyable areas.

The thing about cruising....you don't HAVE to participate in any "party-type" activities. You can be as laid-back as you like! So, pick the cruiseline/ship/cabin based on other criteria. NCL has no "formal" nights, if not dressing for dinner is part of your laid-back attitude. If you don't mind making an effort at dinner, then ANY of the lines will suit you! (We aren't "play well together" folks, either and don't participate in the activities). But, we do enjoy dressing nicely for dinner and evening things....and there's always quiet places on the ship to hang out, if you don't want to be part of the masses!

No you don't have to participate but on the cruises I have been on (and I am ONLY speaking of Carnival), you can't "get away" from the party atmosphere unless you pretty much hide in the library the whole time. The party is pretty much going on everywhere else. We'd like a cruise that is less spring break drinking fest and more relaxing, chill on the deck with a cocktail and not hear booty music blaring all day.

To echo what a lot of other people are saying here, we've cruised Royal, Norwegian, Carnival and Celebrity, and Celebrity would definitely be best for what you are looking for. The only one of the 3 I would tell you to stay away from is Norwegian, as their ships do have a lot of partying and loud music, as well as a LOT of extra onboard charges.

We would like to take a cruise next year. We are looking at Celebrity, Norwegian & Royal Caribbean. We are not "party" types. We are more quiet & laid back . Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Of those three Celebrity would be far best for what you want!

HAL is even more laid back than Celebrity. ;)

This thread is from 2011 and most likely their ship has sailed.

That being said, I disagree that longer cruises and on Celebrity are more laid back. Our last cruise was an 11 nt on Celebrity. The pax were all very boisterous in their partying. Mostly everyone dressed to the nines and drinking it up. Not quiet at all.

This thread is from 2011 and most likely their ship has sailed.

That being said, I disagree that longer cruises and on Celebrity are more laid back. Our last cruise was an 11 nt on Celebrity. The pax were all very boisterous in their partying. Mostly everyone dressed to the nines and drinking it up. Not quiet at all.

There's always THAT one-off cruise. One of our 3day Princess cruises, in November, was wilder than any of our short Spring Break Carnival cruises. (All out of Los Angeles.)

Edited by SadieN