Trip insurance for WC

KirkNC

We always buy medical exac insurance but never bought actual trip insurance. We self insure but that has alway been for trips costing less than $15k. Given the cost of a WC we are considering purchasing trip insurance for the first time. We have shopped a little and it looks to be around $2,500 for our upcoming WC. Curious what others do.

We have not purchased travel insurance before but for our first WC we are definitely going to purchase. We intend to get health/medical insurance since one of us is 65. We are also getting trip cancellation/interruption insurance from a separate vendor. Too much money invested to take any risks.

I bought insurance through Travel Guard because they would customize the policy with enough medical and evacuation to take care of me if something happened on the other side of the world. Even with the extra coverage, Travel Guard was cheaper than the other two companies I checked in to that covered less.

Kirk, we do purchase travel insurance (medical) for the World Cruise.

In our case we use Travelex Insurance but obviously there are many other policies too.

On top of this we get Med Jet too.

I highly recommend getting medical insurance. Things happen and when you are on for such a long time it increases the odds.

Go with the company that you feel the most comfortable with. I would not make my decision solely on price.

The reason I use Travelex is that they act like the primary provider so I do not have to waste my time first filing with my own health insurance company.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

...apparently is only valid for trips up to 90 days according to recent intel.

!!! Darn auto-correct !!! MEDJET is what should have been in the title....

Edited by Kwaj girl

Med jet has a plan that covers for over 90 days called an expat coverage plan. We bought 6 months of it for our world cruise.

We keep Medjet annually for our travels. It is peace of mine.

...apparently is only valid for trips up to 90 days according to recent intel.

!!! Darn auto-correct !!! MEDJET is what should have been in the title....

hey Kwaj girl, I wonder if its worth double checking the 90 day rule for you.

I always use my Platinum insurance provided by my credit card company, it has been excellent service in the past and the odd time I have claimed they have paid to the letter of the policy which is all I could expect.

For my 120 night world cruise coming up, I had a long conversation with them about the 90 day rule and as the ship calls into my home country halfway through the cruise, they decided that I was actually doing two trips, one of 49 nights and one of 71 nights and therefore they were happy to cover me. They also backed it up in writing so it was worthwhile having a chat.

I wonder if this could be useful to you.

• 2 weeks later...
hey Kwaj girl, I wonder if its worth double checking the 90 day rule for you.

I always use my Platinum insurance provided by my credit card company, it has been excellent service in the past and the odd time I have claimed they have paid to the letter of the policy which is all I could expect.

For my 120 night world cruise coming up, I had a long conversation with them about the 90 day rule and as the ship calls into my home country halfway through the cruise, they decided that I was actually doing two trips, one of 49 nights and one of 71 nights and therefore they were happy to cover me. They also backed it up in writing so it was worthwhile having a chat.

I wonder if this could be useful to you.

Interesting, I wonder if our overnight in Honolulu would reset that clock as well.

Interesting, I wonder if our overnight in Honolulu would reset that clock as well.

worth giving them a call, apparently the definition of a trip is leaving home territory and arriving back in the home countries territory,

Since then I have had written confirmation on it as two trips and the only thing it cost me was to insure my watch twice as I usually take separate cover for it.

Turned out to be very economical compared to the $1000 or so quote I received.

for both my husband and I who are both under 65 for a 128 world cruise....that's crazy, no?

Wow! That does seem excessive. What kind of coverage does this have?

I purchased thru Travel Guard for my 2014 World Voyage with

$1,000,000 Emergency Evacuation

$100,000 Accident and sickness

100% coverage for trip cancellation

$50,000 accidental death/dismemberment

150% trip interruption

As well as some coverage for baggage, delays, etc.

I was under 65 and paid $4200 for the 133 days I was away from home.

My preferred travel insurance company would not insure the entire cost of my world cruise. I had used them for many cruises and even had a claim on a policy that they fully and properly paid. Really disappointed, to say the least, that they would not be my insurance carrier.

I bought a policy through a company that my travel agency recommended. The price for the policy was OK. I submited a claim because of an injury sustained during a ship sponsored shore excursion. The cruise line paid for 100% of my needed medical care aboard the ship--which was considerable. I needed further medical attention after I returned home. The travel insurance that I purchased was of NO help. If, however, I had been able to purchase the insurance through the Company that I preferred, their policy would have covered my after ship medical costs, at least in part.

Just my experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Have used Allianz for many WC's originally at my TA's suggestion. I am under 65, DH was over 65 and we paid only a few thousands. Recommend you check the website insuremytrip dot com to compare coverage and prices. Of concern to me is coverage for existing conditions, so carefully read the plan details. Do know the pricing is based on the fare.

btw - Allianz was used by good friends for hospitalization and many tests, then to fly from the Mauritius (with a prepaid cab from the hospital) to Durban So Africa, then to fly home (Orlando) from Cape Town due to the medical situation not improving enough. Allianz was wonderful, arranged everything, etc. Also, my DH has gone and they quickly refunded his premium payment that had already been made for the Jan 2016 WC.

Have used Allianz for many WC's originally at my TA's suggestion. I am under 65, DH was over 65 and we paid only a few thousands. Recommend you check the website insuremytrip dot com to compare coverage and prices. Of concern to me is coverage for existing conditions, so carefully read the plan details. Do know the pricing is based on the fare.

btw - Allianz was used by good friends for hospitalization and many tests, then to fly from the Mauritius (with a prepaid cab from the hospital) to Durban So Africa, then to fly home (Orlando) from Cape Town due to the medical situation not improving enough. Allianz was wonderful, arranged everything, etc. Also, my DH has gone and they quickly refunded his premium payment that had already been made for the Jan 2016 WC.

When do you have to buy the insurance? When you book ? or when you make final payment??

When do you have to buy the insurance? When you book ? or when you make final payment??

I always wait until final is paid if you purchase insurance before final and cancel the cruise, you get the deposit back but not the insurance premium

Many insurance companies require you to buy it within 10-14 days of booking to cover pre-existing conditions.

With RCCL, pre-existing conditions relate to your health within the last 60 days at time of paying for the insurance.

So, if there have been changes to your medications, diagnoses, treatments, etc., within the last 60 days at the time of booking, I would wait until final payment, since I would not get a refund for the insurance if I canceled before final payment for the cruise.

If your health record shows no changes within the last 60 days at time of booking, and you pay at time of booking, any changes after that date will automatically be covered and, after final payment for the cruise, you would receive 100% refund based on the cancel for "specific reason."

If, by chance, something happens to your health within the last 60 days of paying the insurance at time of final payment for the cruise and you need to cancel your cruise AFTER final payment, you can always cancel under "cancel for any reason" and get 75% off on a future cruise. Because we don't have a problem with getting 75% off on a future cruise, we take our chances and always pay for the insurance when making our final payment rather than paying for insurance at the time of booking.

This information was confirmed by both the RCCL agent and CruiseCare and its underwriter.

However, I have no idea how third-party insurance works.

With RCCL, pre-existing conditions relate to your health within the last 60 days at time of paying for the insurance.

So, if there have been changes to your medications, diagnoses, treatments, etc., within the last 60 days at the time of booking, I would wait until final payment, since I would not get a refund for the insurance if I canceled before final payment for the cruise.

If your health record shows no changes within the last 60 days at time of booking, and you pay at time of booking, any changes after that date will automatically be covered and, after final payment for the cruise, you would receive 100% refund based on the cancel for "specific reason."

If, by chance, something happens to your health within the last 60 days of paying the insurance at time of final payment for the cruise and you need to cancel your cruise AFTER final payment, you can always cancel under "cancel for any reason" and get 75% off on a future cruise. Because we don't have a problem with getting 75% off on a future cruise, we take our chances and always pay for the insurance when making our final payment rather than paying for insurance at the time of booking.

This information was confirmed by both the RCCL agent and CruiseCare and its underwriter.

However, I have no idea how third-party insurance works.

Thanks Iuki for the information. Since RCCL does not do world cruises it is best to check the travel insurance exact coverage and policy with the cruise line you are booking with.

Thanks Iuki for the information. Since RCCL does not do world cruises it is best to check the travel insurance exact coverage and policy with the cruise line you are booking with.

I keep hoping RCCL will eventually offer world cruises. ;)

• 2 months later...

To cover pre-existing you have to book within a certain amount of time of booking - sorry do not remember exactly but maybe 14 days as I have my TA buy the insurance when I have him do the initial booking as do not want any issues should I need the insurance.

Allianz also refunded the PREMIUM after my DH was gone in early July and HAL refunded the fare as for the 2016 WC which sails in Jan. Cannot tell you how surprised and elated I was about the premium refund as he was over 65 (less my upcharge of course as my fare increased due to the single supplement )!

Edited by take us away