Galveston vs. Port Canaveral

Brandonlees

We just cruised out of Port Canaveral on the Dream. was wandering if anyone has cruised out of Galveston, TX. Is the embarkation and disembarkation just as smooth as Port Canaveral is? Has anyone been to both ports to know if how they compare to each other. We where wanting to go on the Magic next year and was wondering about that.

Thank you

IMHO - Galveston is the best port. It's not just easy and smooth - the people make it fun from the time you drive up to the time you board. For the 1-2 hours you might wait to get on the ship you already feel like you on a cruise. Games, music, fun - and NICE people to work with.

Join us for the Inaugural sailing on the Magic Nov 14, 2011! It's going to be TERRIFIC!

I haven't been to Port Canaveral yet, but I can say that Galveston is easy if you are driving in and waiting to board your ship is just as fun as slkmbr said it was. In fact I live about 30 -45 minutes closer to the Port of New Orleans and will choose Galveston first all the time.

Iv cruised with folks who flew in to Galveston and almost all of them said never again. (just for starters there are no rental car places open in Galveston on sunday, unless that has changed, and not enough competition for shuttles, so shuttles are way overpriced.)

I drive so I love Galveston.

Driving would be suicide for us. We where wanting to take the kids with us they are 3 and 7 and we are from Indianapolis. 19 hour Drive would be horrible with 2 kids. I am wondering if we might have to pick another Port for easier transfering. I found this place called super shuttle they charge 100 bucks for shuttling up to 10 people to galveston area. but I dont know we really want to go on the Carnival Magic because the kids loved the water slides on the Carnival Dream so we will see. I know Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are always good. But was also wondering about going on the splendor even though the break down I ahve heard it is a fun cruise. just wondering about the transfers from LAX to the Port there as well.

Im betting you are finding a better price on Dream which is a sister to Magic. FL is usally cheaper than Texas.

$100 does sound about right. If you have 5 people than its not so bad, but some guys flew in alone and still had to pay $100 to transfer in. No share a rides.

I love Galveston, dont get me wrong. I love staying on the seawall by the beach and the whole sleepy fishing town feel.

Driving would be suicide for us. We where wanting to take the kids with us they are 3 and 7 and we are from Indianapolis. 19 hour Drive would be horrible with 2 kids. I am wondering if we might have to pick another Port for easier transfering. I found this place called super shuttle they charge 100 bucks for shuttling up to 10 people to galveston area. but I dont know we really want to go on the Carnival Magic because the kids loved the water slides on the Carnival Dream so we will see. I know Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are always good. But was also wondering about going on the splendor even though the break down I ahve heard it is a fun cruise. just wondering about the transfers from LAX to the Port there as well.

I've been to all three (Port Canaveral, Galveston & Los Angeles).

Galveston has two airports. Hobby (the southern airport) is the closer of the two airports to Galveston. However, only Southwest flies there. Everyone else goes to Bush. Bush is on the north side Houston. Galveston is well south of Houston. It cost me as much to go from Bush to the port as it did to go from LAX to Bush. For the cost of a taxi you can (and I did) get a limo (the kids will be impressed). The problem with Galveston is that there are no rent-a-car offices on the island. The hotels in Houston cost much less than the hotels on the island, so I stayed overnight in Houston and took a limo to the port the following morning.

Getting back home is not much fun either. If the weather cooperates then it will be like any other port. If not, here is hoping you have a late flight or you bought travel insurance. I was on a Royal Caribbean ship so I took a Royal Caribbean transfer back to the airport. While I have used ship transfers to get back to the airport several times, I have never done so with Carnival (in a couple of weeks or in February might be my first time).

Port Canaveral has rental car offices with free transfers between the rental car office and the port. I rented a car going in both directions. The two rental cars combined were less than just the limo from Houston to Galveston. Just bring plenty of quarters (the road between MCO and Port Canaveral is a toll road).

I live in Los Angeles, so I don't go from the airport to the cruise port (though I do drive by the airport to get to the cruise port). Los Angeles have five airports. Long Beach airport is the closest (the Carnival port is next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach). However, there are not that many choices for flying into and out of Long Beach. LAX is a little further out. LAX is of course a very large international airport. I would estimate a taxi would be $70 plus a tip. Rental car offices are located in downtown Long Beach (as well as LAX), which is just across the bay from the Carnival port. I can post pictures if you want to see them.

I've been to all three (Port Canaveral, Galveston & Los Angeles).

Galveston has two airports. Hobby (the southern airport) is the closer of the two airports to Galveston. However, only Southwest flies there. Everyone else goes to Bush. Bush is on the north side Houston. Galveston is well south of Houston. It cost me as much to go from Bush to the port as it did to go from LAX to Bush. For the cost of a taxi you can (and I did) get a limo (the kids will be impressed). The problem with Galveston is that there are no rent-a-car offices on the island. The hotels in Houston cost much less than the hotels on the island, so I stayed overnight in Houston and took a limo to the port the following morning.

Well, actually Hobby Airport has Southwest, American Airlines, Delta, Jet Blue and Air Tran (becoming Southwest soon) and beginning Nov. 18th Frontier will fly into Hobby as well. I always drive to the Galveston Terminal because we live here in Southeast Texas, but from what I've seen on here you can get transfers on the shuttles or a limo service for around $70 p/p round trip. How much did you have to pay for your limo ride?

Well, actually Hobby Airport has Southwest, American Airlines, Delta, Jet Blue and Air Tran (becoming Southwest soon) and beginning Nov. 18th Frontier will fly into Hobby as well. I always drive to the Galveston Terminal because we live here in Southeast Texas, but from what I've seen on here you can get transfers on the shuttles or a limo service for around $70 p/p round trip. How much did you have to pay for your limo ride?

Im thinking he paid around $100 for his limo .. and I think he flew into IAH, not Hobby.

The lack of rental cars is the hang up for most flying in and having to get that far from Houston to Galveston. There are no really cheap options.

I flew into Miami a week or so ago, and paid $2 for the bus to take me to the hotel at the port.

Im thinking he paid around $100 for his limo .. and I think he flew into IAH, not Hobby.

The lack of rental cars is the hang up for most flying in and having to get that far from Houston to Galveston. There are no really cheap options.

I flew into Miami a week or so ago, and paid $2 for the bus to take me to the hotel at the port.

I know the rental car situation there is ridiculous. I can't believe they aren't open on Sunday for rental returns. It's Enterprise, correct? Maybe it's because 1/2 of the year there are only 2 ships homeported there. At Port Canavarel, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami there are so many ships! Of course, we were less than 10 min. from the Port in Ft. Lauderdale (we could see the ships from our hotel room!) and it still cost us $24 to get to the port on a shuttle!

Good grief, now I have to do research - on a weekend. :( Okay, hold on, let me look it up ..... oh boy, I didn't tag those expenses. :mad: Hold on, this is going to take longer than I thought ....... Hey, I did tag those expenses. :cool: Let me try this again ..... Okay, now I've got it. :)

Taxi from the airport (Bush) to the hotel (by the galleria) $70.92

Limo (Town car) from the hotel to the port (including tip) $155.

Round trip airfare (LAX - IAH - LAX) $277.50

Guess which mode of transportation cost the least per mile traveled.

Good grief, now I have to do research - on a weekend. :( Okay, hold on, let me look it up ..... oh boy, I didn't tag those expenses. :mad: Hold on, this is going to take longer than I thought ....... Hey, I did tag those expenses. :cool: Let me try this again ..... Okay, now I've got it. :)

Didn't mean to make you work so hard...just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

We're sailing on Voyager out of Galveston in January and I'm kicking myself for not doing my homework:(. We figured we'd just rent a car and drive from Houston (Bush) to Galveston but then realized that is not an option! We've got a limo booked for pickup and return to the airport (for just two of us) but it's sure taught me a lesson to do a bit more research prior to booking. Of course, I could have changed the cruise and got something out of Miami or something, but we got a great price for our hump balcony so that makes it a bit easier to handle! :D Nothing will spoil our cruise :)

We're sailing on Voyager out of Galveston in January and I'm kicking myself for not doing my homework:(. We figured we'd just rent a car and drive from Houston (Bush) to Galveston but then realized that is not an option! We've got a limo booked for pickup and return to the airport (for just two of us) but it's sure taught me a lesson to do a bit more research prior to booking. Of course, I could have changed the cruise and got something out of Miami or something, but we got a great price for our hump balcony so that makes it a bit easier to handle! :D Nothing will spoil our cruise :)

You'll have plenty of time to enjoy your limo from Intercontinental to Galveston. It's a good 60 to 90 minutes in the car.

Hobby is closer (domestic flights only) but it costs about the same to get to the island.

Enjoy your trip!

• 4 months later...

We also booked the Magic. I have never heard of no rental cars being opened on the weekend. Now I just read it is closed Sat and Sunday. Then they charge you til Monday. It does seem to me Galveston is not Cruise Friendly. I saw you need to fly to Hobby. We only paid $40.00 last time on the cruise Pt Canaveral . It is about an hour . Never seen such high prices. We rented car at Coca Beach. Shuttle took us there. It was less than $60.00 with everything included for 2 days and 2 drivers. I am sorry that we didn't just use Florida again. Sorry but Galveston seems like a rip off. I have to agree with the few others that this will be our first and last cruise in Galveston. We can't drive either. Too far.

Without unexpected circumstances

Hobby to Galveston is closer.

Bush to Galveston is a little longer.

We live in Galveston and can "drive" easily to Bush up HW45 to HW59 and left to Bush in a rough hour.

Where everyone gets this 2 hour deal I am unaware.

This again is only the drive.

There certainly are other considerations at airports.

We just cruised out of Port Canaveral in January with bad weather, tornados, and shuttle problems, and we almost didn't make cruise

because of all factors. Shuttle was biggest problem.

We made it barely ! HEY ?"+* happens!

It was also when new Carnival Ship almost hit our RCL ship in port

during our muster drills.

What an experience that was!

How the port let that happen is beyond me?????

Attitude was the difference between a possible conceived ordeal

and the real actual adventure.

Yes there "were" 2 hour trips to Bush Airport from Galveston

when the HW 45 highway at NASA ONE flyover major construction and wrecks caused problems for a few months.

Folks that construction is over! :D

This rough 1 hour also is conditioned on no wrecks, not using 45 north of Houston (use 59 north which is easier) and no rush hour traffic.

But that rush hour is and wrecks can be in any city !

Ya'll do the math!!!!!!!!!

To quote galveston.com (the official website of Galveston)

"Directions from Bush Intercontinental to Galveston (54 Miles)"

"Directions from Hobby to Galveston (31 Miles)"

At 60 miles an hour ..............an easy calulation for the drive only!

And if you want to drive faster!!!!!!!!

To quote Answers.com

The Distance from Port Canaveral to Orlando Airport is about

45 miles on SR 528. Travel time is about 50-55 min by car. There are many avenues for transportation if you are taking a cruise out of the cruise terminal. Utilizing a taxi cab is not one of them as the cost will be extremely high. The cruise lines provide a shared service, but does have its limitations as you would have to leave on their schedule not your schedule. Also available is private shuttle service that will leave on schedule so that you will have better options has far as planning your flights.

Major ship cruising in Galveston is on weekends anyway with less traffic.

Any weekend crusing does not encounter rush hour traffic.

Any cruising traffic should be mid morning or middle of day anyway,

whether it is during week or weekend.

Unless you are international travelers, use Hobby Airport!!!!!!

Between expansion of Southwest's routes , new Frontier service, Jet Blue, Air Tran and others, access is pretty easy from US in the west, northwest, middle of, northeast, southeast and any where around US to Hobby!!!!

We have had our personal possible major problems in Europe with strikes and weather.

Our worst experiences in US have been in Florida at FT Lauderdale, Miami and recent January experience.

* Anyway......... with the probability of 5 ships now being in Galveston in 2012,........ every aspect of Galveston Crusing will have to improve!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond the imperfections.

We love crusing for the adventures and our friends,

regardless of the imperfections and hassles!!!!!

They .....the imperfections and hassles

regardless of nature and extent

come with the territory

from where ever you cruise out of .

See ya'll on the ship

We are doing cruise on spur of a moment.

We booked a year ago!

My wife started tread, cancelled cruise

and now we can cruise at this time!

We lost our corner aft cabin but we are

just glad we can go and see our friends and enjoy the cruise.

paperclip.gif firstnew.gif Voyager Transatlantic - May 1, 2011 Galveston-Barcelona (multipage.gif1 2 3 ... Last Page)

Galveston Cruiser

See ya'll on the ship:D

How does the Galleria get mixed up in this discussion?

Wow. I never knew what a hassle it was to fly into the port (we are only 30 minutes away and always drive). I think I may have found myself a new part time job. Maybe I'll start offering rides in my DE-luxe 2005 minivan :D!!! I'm pretty sure I'd only charge $100 a ride, and I've got a DVD palyer :p!! All kidding aside-- Galveston does really need to improve the situation now that more cruise lines are sending ships our way. --Katie

Wow. I never knew what a hassle it was to fly into the port (we are only 30 minutes away and always drive). I think I may have found myself a new part time job. Maybe I'll start offering rides in my DE-luxe 2005 minivan :D!!! I'm pretty sure I'd only charge $100 a ride, and I've got a DVD palyer :p!! All kidding aside-- Galveston does really need to improve the situation now that more cruise lines are sending ships our way. --Katie

Hi Katie you are correct!

Galveston (the port) would not getting the contracts with the cruise lines, if it hadn't agreed to make the necessary improvements at the port to accommodate the ships.

Galveston (the port and the city) has improved its situation

to keep up with current situation.

But with the probability of 5 ships

Galveston (the port and the city) will be making many additional new changes to keep up with 5 ship issues. It will have to.

However!!!!

It is private enterprise (cruise lines, rental car agencies, etc.)

that need to keep up with current and future issues

and make the decisions for what the cruise passengers need

and accommodate them.

The Port of Galveston and the City of Galveston have postured themselves and doing its share providing the platform.

Private enterprise has to do the rest.

In addition to the Airports to Galveston transportation issues,

we need some airlines to step up to the plate and come on into Galvestion Scholes Airport.

It has just had major improvements since IKE to the intrastructure and runways.

The runways can accommodate currently aircraft

as large as a Boeing 767.

Some posters on this thread have confused the Port of Galveston and the City of Galveston with what private enterprise has to do!!!!!!!!!!!

It provides a general location for the hotel I stayed at.

The galleria is certainly a option if you want a shopping destination.

Galveston Kemah provides a wide variety of tourest options . What ever you're desire and budget is!

The galleria is certainly a option if you want a shopping destination.

Galveston Kemah provides a wide variety of tourest options . What ever you're desire and budget is!

The hotel was two blocks from the Galleria. I didn't go shopping.

I'm sorry this location is causing so much trouble. Next time I'll ask them to move the hotel.

BTW - it was a very nice hotel - a two room suite ...

This is what you see when you enter the room ...

Sittingroom2.jpg

This is what you see when you get to the other side and look back ...

Sittingroom.jpg

This is what you see when you start looking for where you are going to sleep ...

IMG_0672.jpg

This is what you see when nature calls ...

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

And look, the room steward even left me a nicely folded towel-tux ...

IMG_0677.jpg

All this for less than $100 per night.

That hotel and room is beautiful!

And are the area is wonderful.

I grew up in that area,

and lived for ten years across the 610 west loop freeway from the Galleria.

But unless you just wanted to be in Houston, or go for shopping, or go to the wonderful hotel, or needed the extra room in a suite....... it seems

in general the added transportation costs would offset any additional hotel costs in Galveston. And be going directly into Galveston with no overnight in Houston.

The Galvez, San Luis, Moody Gardens, Hilton, Tremont House are all comparable hotels in Galveston.

You still might even to be able to can get rooms at these hotels at simliar prices depending time of year and certain events occuring. sometimes not!

Like I said what ever you're desire and budget is!

The thread and you're comments seem to more about costs!

Sorry that I stuct a nerve,, I should have been more diplomatic.

My apology.

Enjoy you're cruising. You certainly are an erperienced cruiser.

Also unless you have miles or connections why are you not flying into

Hobby. Southwest or Frontier!

That hotel and room is beautiful!

And are the area is wonderful.

I grew up in that area,

and lived for ten years across the 610 west loop freeway from the Galleria.

But unless you just wanted to be in Houston, or go for shopping, or go to the wonderful hotel, or needed the extra room in a suite....... it seems

in general the added transportation costs would offset any additional hotel costs in Galveston. And be going directly into Galveston with no overnight in Houston.

What added transportation costs? I flew non-stop LAX to Bush. I traveled south to the hotel and the next day traveled further south to the port. I was not charged more simply because I split the trip into two.

Archived