3 hotels to choose from NOLA

mitsugirly

After several days of research and help, I've came up with 3 hotels we are interested in for our pre-cruise stay. Anyone that has stayed here that can offer help with a few questions is appreciated.

1) Hampton Inn-convention center $89 special link for cruisers

Has a pool, is across from a park, hot breakfast, and excellent reviews on trip advisor.

If anyone has stayed here: what type of park? Is it one with a playground or anything? When they say "hot" breakfast, is it like a buffet with REAL food? Any idea if there is any shuttle service from airport or to the port terminal? If not, do you know the cab fares? Is there any wireless interent? (It does state they have a business center with computers, but nothing about free wifi)

2) Holiday Inn Superdome $96 (can't find a coupon or code)

Has a restaurant on the premises (kids eat free), wireless internet, pool. Good reviews to trip advisor.

Any idea about any shuttle service to and from airport and cruise port? Or cab fares to and from?

3) Drury Inn $ 93.49 (found special code online)

Has a pool on the roof top and hot tub, free long distance, free hot breakfast, free soda and popcorn from 3-10pm, 5:30 kickbacks food, free internet, good reviews on trip advisor.

Can anyone elaborate on this "kickback" special? I've read the types of foods they service and it sounds wonderful, but is it free? What about the hot breakfast...is it like a buffet with actual good food? If this is the case, our plane will be coming in (if there are no delays) about 4:05 and we will be ready for some "free food" and this may be a great option and actually save us some money. Anyone know about any shuttle to/from airport/cruise port or cab cost?

Thanks in advance to those that have told me to check out some of these hotels and let me know your thoughts.

3) Drury Inn $ 93.49 (found special code online)

Has a pool on the roof top and hot tub, free long distance, free hot breakfast, free soda and popcorn from 3-10pm, 5:30 kickbacks food, free internet, good reviews on trip advisor.

Can anyone elaborate on this "kickback" special? I've read the types of foods they service and it sounds wonderful, but is it free? What about the hot breakfast...is it like a buffet with actual good food? If this is the case, our plane will be coming in (if there are no delays) about 4:05 and we will be ready for some "free food" and this may be a great option and actually save us some money. Anyone know about any shuttle to/from airport/cruise port or cab cost?

I stayed at the Drury about a month ago and thought it was fine and reasonably priced. The breakfast was better than other hotels I've stayed in that included breakfast, but it's not off the charts incredible. They do have some hot items, and I liked being able to get some protein since I didn't know how long it would be before I was on the Triumph and able to get lunch.

The evening Kickback is included as well, and it's a nice plus if you want the alcoholic beverages or don't plan to eat dinner until late. Otherwise, I would skip it and just go to dinner. New Orleans is one of the best food cities in the world, so to me filling up on average finger foods is not the best plan. You might not feel like going out after a day of travel, though, so in your case it might be perfect.

New Orleans only has one airport shuttle company. Just Google "New Orleans Airport Shuttle", and you'll get their web site. I've used them twice and was reasonably pleased. In both cases I was by myself so it was definitely cheaper than a cab. If you've got 2 or more people, a cab might be closer in price and would be faster. The shuttle can make many stops, so if you're last you might spend 15 to 20 minutes just dropping off other passengers. If you use the shuttle, book online in advance to save time at the airport.

The Drury did not have a shuttle to the cruise port. I asked the front desk guy to call me a cab, and it came in about 15 minutes. I think the ride to the port was about 5 minutes. The hotel man said the fare would be $7, but the driver said $10 when he dropped me off. My guess is that he gouged me a bit, but I just took part of it out of the tip I planned to give him, so it wasn't a big deal.

Hope this helps.

I stayed at the Drury about a month ago and thought it was fine and reasonably priced. The breakfast was better than other hotels I've stayed in that included breakfast, but it's not off the charts incredible. They do have some hot items, and I liked being able to get some protein since I didn't know how long it would be before I was on the Triumph and able to get lunch.

Glad to hear the breakfast was decent. I was just hoping when they say they have a "hot" breakfast, they are talking about eggs, sausage, bacon and some type of potatoes. I hate the continental breakfast offered by most hotels. I'm sorry, that just does not fill me up and I like a good hot breakfast to start my day when I'm on vacation. :D

The evening Kickback is included as well, and it's a nice plus if you want the alcoholic beverages or don't plan to eat dinner until late. Otherwise, I would skip it and just go to dinner. New Orleans is one of the best food cities in the world, so to me filling up on average finger foods is not the best plan. You might not feel like going out after a day of travel, though, so in your case it might be perfect.

I'm just looking for a way to save money and I'm pretty sure I could fill up on wings, baked potatoes and some of the other things that were mentioned. We are only going to NOLA because the ONLY week that I'm not in school is the week of Sept 11th and the only cruise ship for NCL cruising that date is the Spirit out of NO. So, we really aren't going there for the food or to adventure and discover NO. Maybe some day we'll be able to go for a few days prior to check it out. Also, like you said, since we are only there for a little time (we don't arrive until 4:05 or so and by the time we get to the hotel it will probably be an hour or so). We really won't have too much time left to go out since we'll want to get a good nights rest before getting on the ship the following day.

New Orleans only has one airport shuttle company. Just Google "New Orleans Airport Shuttle", and you'll get their web site. I've used them twice and was reasonably pleased. In both cases I was by myself so it was definitely cheaper than a cab. If you've got 2 or more people, a cab might be closer in price and would be faster. The shuttle can make many stops, so if you're last you might spend 15 to 20 minutes just dropping off other passengers. If you use the shuttle, book online in advance to save time at the airport.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if there was some type of shuttle service like they have in Miami. I'll see what I can find.

The Drury did not have a shuttle to the cruise port. I asked the front desk guy to call me a cab, and it came in about 15 minutes. I think the ride to the port was about 5 minutes. The hotel man said the fare would be $7, but the driver said $10 when he dropped me off. My guess is that he gouged me a bit, but I just took part of it out of the tip I planned to give him, so it wasn't a big deal.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info.

The taxi rate from downtown hotels to the port is $10 for 1 person or $7pp for two or more.

If more than 1 person, a taxi is cheaper from the airport to downtown. The airport website has information:

http://www.flymsy.com/PageDisplay.asp?p1=6016

Holiday Inn Superdome has a shuttle that can take you to the port and so does Hampton.

The taxi rate from downtown hotels to the port is $10 for 1 person or $7pp for two or more.

If more than 1 person, a taxi is cheaper from the airport to downtown. The airport website has information:

http://www.flymsy.com/PageDisplay.asp?p1=6016

Holiday Inn Superdome has a shuttle that can take you to the port and so does Hampton.

Is the shuttle free or do you have to pay? (from the Holiday Inn)

Is the shuttle free or do you have to pay? (from the Holiday Inn)

Its free. One way shuttle as they cant pick you up at the port, port doesnt allow the shuttles to come there. You can also use the free shuttle the night before, to drop you at places in the french qtr. Leaves on the hour.

How are you getting those prices though?? Are you seeing "starting from" prices, or what date did you price them for. .. 'cause I havent gotten those prices when I called.

... or these are online rates?? Not for the cruise specials that include parking. I know you cant do the online rate with Drury and get the parking, so that could be why your prices look too low to me.

if I didnt need the free cruise parking, I would just use hotwire.

... or these are online rates?? Not for the cruise specials that include parking. I know you cant do the online rate with Drury and get the parking, so that could be why your prices look too low to me.

if I didnt need the free cruise parking, I would just use hotwire.

I always just search online for a code for where ever I'm planning on staying, then book with the hotel and enter the code for the discount.

We are flying in, so we won't need parking or anything. The prices I gave are just for the hotel only.

We have officially decided to go with Drury. I've read up on a lot of the reviews (both on here and on trip advisor) and there are a lot of happy people that stayed there with them. Plus the added bonus of free food both morning and evenings...well, who could pass that up! :D

Ok,so this is the weird part. While on Trip Advisor, you can check mark all the sites to give you a price (expedia, orbitz, travelocity and so on) and they will all pop up with "their" special price. They all said that the date that I'm needing it for is completely booked up! :eek:

So, I go to the Drury site itself...and booked our date! :confused: Paid for it and confirmed it. I'm not sure why the other sites say that the date I'm needing is all booked up. Maybe they only get a certain amount of rooms with each company? I'm not sure how it works. Either way I SAVED MORE by just using my code I found anyhow. I actually saved $17 for the room. I'm a happy camper! :)

Glad you chose the Drury Inn. It's a nice hotel and we made dinner out of their kick back and enjoyed the free drinks. The food depends on what night you are there, but we had hot dogs, small salad bar, baked potatoe bar and nacho's. A few other snacks as well. Breakfast was eggs, gravy, bisquits, sausage, and I think grits, potatoes and toast. They had some fruit and cold stuff, but I didn't even go to that part, so I don't remember. We drove in and went out for lunch and then ate dinner there, went down to French Quarter and ate breakfast there before the cruise. That saved us a lot of money. You can take the trolley to the French Quarter or walk. Second time we took the trolley. You catch it across from Harrah's. Ask what time the last one runs, I am thinking 10 or 11. The Drury pool closes early, like maybe 9.

I wish they were not so much next Nov. when I am cruising next. Didn't know Nov/Dec is huge convention time in NOLA.

Glad you chose the Drury Inn. It's a nice hotel and we made dinner out of their kick back and enjoyed the free drinks. The food depends on what night you are there, but we had hot dogs, small salad bar, baked potatoe bar and nacho's. A few other snacks as well. Breakfast was eggs, gravy, bisquits, sausage, and I think grits, potatoes and toast. They had some fruit and cold stuff, but I didn't even go to that part, so I don't remember. We drove in and went out for lunch and then ate dinner there, went down to French Quarter and ate breakfast there before the cruise. That saved us a lot of money. You can take the trolley to the French Quarter or walk. Second time we took the trolley. You catch it across from Harrah's. Ask what time the last one runs, I am thinking 10 or 11. The Drury pool closes early, like maybe 9.

I wish they were not so much next Nov. when I am cruising next. Didn't know Nov/Dec is huge convention time in NOLA.

Thanks for the info on the food. I did find the kick backs menu online and reviewed it. I'm too picky if it's free food and will save me some money (that's more to spend on the cruise). Love what you listed for the breakfast. Exactly what I was looking for.

I still need to find out about this trolley thing. I've read that it is $1.25 pp to ride. But have no idea where it goes or what there is to do. :confused:

Could you tell me how you got the hotel discount codes? Have been checking for a hotel in October & they are all high. We stayed twice at Drury before and loved it.

I also just do a search and google for what I'm looking for with each hotel. I will google like "discount code for drury inn" or something like that and it will take you to coupon code sites. Some work, some don't. Then you just act like you are booking the room on the site, put the code in and see if it changes the rate for the hotel. This time I used the DREAM code for them and got it for $93 instead of the $110 that all the sites were offering.

Last year when we cruised out of Miami, we decided we wanted to stay in South Beach and I found a "corporate" code and used it and got the price of $63 when the room was actually $130 and it was nice! :D

You got a great deal. Even after the "DREAM" code the room was over $200 for my Nov. cruise and $50 for parking. Hoping they will run another summer special and I can get a better rate.

Firefly is right about the drinks. They are strong. We did not have to drink anything when we went to the French Quarter. I think the trolley takes you just about anywhere you want to go. It was well worth the $1.25 we pd to ride to the French Quarter.

Can someone tell me what the riverwalk (if that's what it is called) is? Is it along the water or something? Are there things to do there?

If you take the trolley there and have to switch trolleys (from what I'm seeing on the "map"), do you have to pay $1.25pp each time you switch or do they give you transfers?

The Riverwalk is a shopping mall that runs from the foot of Canal Street to the Convention Center. The Canal Street street car runs right down the middle of the street.

This picture shows the foot of Canal Street. I believe this area is called the Spanish Plaza. To the right is the Aquarium and Woldenberg park. The park is actually built out over the water and it's a wonderful place to walk.

15_canal_street.jpg

At the other end of the park is Jackson Square and Cafe Du Monde.

IMG_0063.jpg

This the other end of the Riverwalk near the cruise terminal and Convention Center. The Riverfront Streetcar runs along here and goes all the way up past the French Quarter.

14_riverwalk.jpg

Here's a Riverfront streetcar running behind the cruise terminal. You can spot them because they're all red.

IMG_0041.jpg

I believe you can transfer from one streetcar to another as long as you do it within a certain amount of time. I always just get the day (or 3-day) pass so I don't have to worry about it or fool with change. The hotel probably sells them, or I think you can buy them from the driver.

Having said all of this you can easily walk to the Riverwalk from the Drury Inn. It's probably about 15 minutes. It might be fun to walk there and ride the Riverfront Streetcar back and forth just for the fun of it.

Thanks for the information and the pictures.

My daughter loves trains and I just think it would be neat to have her ride on one of these (I know not exactly a "train", but to a 3 year old...close enough). Plus I've never been on one either. So we would do it for the experience. I was just wondering where they go to and what we could do once we get there.

It sounds neat.

All 3 streetcar lines run in a loop, so you never even have to get off although you might have to pay a 2nd fare to stay on and just turn around and go back. The Riverfront one is probably your best bet. I would ride it to the end past the French Quarter and then get off at the Dumaine stop. That puts you right by Cafe du Monde for beignets, and if you have time you can walk through Jackson Square. A three year old will love beignets. You take one bite and powdered sugar flies everywhere.

Cabs are very plentiful in New Orleans, so you could take a cab back to the hotel to save a little walking.

The Saint Charles line takes you through wonderful old neighborhoods, but it's a much longer ride. Plus, you really need to do it in day light, so you might want to save that for a trip when you have more time.

The Canal Street line probably wouldn't hold much interest unless you had enough time to ride it all the way out to City Park, and it doesn't sound like you have that kind of time.

All 3 streetcar lines run in a loop, so you never even have to get off although you might have to pay a 2nd fare to stay on and just turn around and go back. The Riverfront one is probably your best bet. I would ride it to the end past the French Quarter and then get off at the Dumaine stop. That puts you right by Cafe du Monde for beignets, and if you have time you can walk through Jackson Square. A three year old will love beignets. You take one bite and powdered sugar flies everywhere.

Cabs are very plentiful in New Orleans, so you could take a cab back to the hotel to save a little walking.

The Saint Charles line takes you through wonderful old neighborhoods, but it's a much longer ride. Plus, you really need to do it in day light, so you might want to save that for a trip when you have more time.

The Canal Street line probably wouldn't hold much interest unless you had enough time to ride it all the way out to City Park, and it doesn't sound like you have that kind of time.

Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks so much. I've copied down notes to take with me. It sounds like River Front is the way to go.

What exactly is a beignet? Is that like the fair elephant ears or a funnel cake?

I assume I would have to ride the green route trolley on Carondelet St/St Charles (since we will be staying on Poydras St) to the red trolley going down Canal St and then catch the blue trolley down River walk? (I'm looking at a map I found online.

Wow, that's a lot of information. Thanks so much. I've copied down notes to take with me. It sounds like River Front is the way to go.

What exactly is a beignet? Is that like the fair elephant ears or a funnel cake?

I assume I would have to ride the green route trolley on Carondelet St/St Charles (since we will be staying on Poydras St) to the red trolley going down Canal St and then catch the blue trolley down River walk? (I'm looking at a map I found online.

A beignet is a bit sizes version of a funnel cake coated in a lot of powder. You usually eat them with a cup of coffee. The funny thing is some people get all this powdered sugar over their pants. The trick is to dunk them in coffee before eating. Wish that I could go downtown on my cruise, but the hotel rates are too expensive in Oct. Enjoy

A beignet is a bit sizes version of a funnel cake coated in a lot of powder. You usually eat them with a cup of coffee. The funny thing is some people get all this powdered sugar over their pants. The trick is to dunk them in coffee before eating. Wish that I could go downtown on my cruise, but the hotel rates are too expensive in Oct. Enjoy

Thanks for the info. They sound wonderful. I'm a funnel cake freak! :D Although I don't drink coffee, so there won't be any dunking for me, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Thanks for the info. They sound wonderful. I'm a funnel cake freak! :D Although I don't drink coffee, so there won't be any dunking for me, but I'm sure I'll manage.

Attached is a pictures of the beignets. You can see how much powdered sugar that they put on them. Make sure that person sitting opposite you does not sneeze on theirs as it might go in your direction.

Cafe Du monde is the most famous place to eat these. Enjoy.

beignets.jpg.a7570f9b6711585b6fffd77a35b796b8.jpg

Attached is a pictures of the beignets. You can see how much powdered sugar that they put on them. Make sure that person sitting opposite you does not sneeze on theirs as it might go in your direction.

Cafe Du monde is the most famous place to eat these. Enjoy.

Wow, those look yummy and a sure way to give us energy to walk around after all that sugar. :D I'll definitely be checking these out. How much do they run? Is this plate 1 order...or is it 3 orders? Just wondering

Wow, those look yummy and a sure way to give us energy to walk around after all that sugar. :D I'll definitely be checking these out. How much do they run? Is this plate 1 order...or is it 3 orders? Just wondering

They usually give you a plate of 3. Can't remember the exact cost but I believe they are around $5. It is a very busy place as it is a tourist attraction. Their website does not show the menu prices. You will get very hyper after all that sugar. At least the French Quarter is made for walking. I prefer to dunk them in the coffee as it makes the sugar stick to the beignet. This helps prevent your pants turning white. I guess if you wear ALL-White then you would not see the powdered sugar on yhour clothes.

Enjoy

Archived