What happened to Cha-Chi Beach

medicalma'am

What ever happened to Cha-Chi, the beach to the right of the port at Costa Maya? Is the area beyond the formidable cement fence being developed? Does anyone have recent pictures?

Thanks for any info!

Edited by medicalma'am

The attached photo was taken in February 2012. Sorry it views small. That area to the right of the port looked like it had not been used in years. I have no idea what happened to it. It did look like a promising site on which to build, but would in competition with the port. I wouldn't be surprised if the owner's of the port bought that property and let it die so it wouldn't compete.

288432205_CostaMaya.jpg.d5a69e0a3a942610c490f63f2df194a7.jpg

That place has an access problem and has for many years. The port owner has a fence on the property line, making access from that area impossible. Read into that what you will. Not sure if it is still there but there used to be a hole in the fence people would sneak through to enjoy the primative beach. Turn right on the first street after you leave the port and you dead end into that fence. The legal entry for that property and it's beautiful beaches now are from a road that you must access a couple miles outside of town. The road back to the beach from there is through very thick jungle and takes longer to drive than to walk. Locals believe that one day it will accomodate another port but who knows. Beautiful beaches though.

I remember threads here several years ago about the "Hole in the Wall gang" who would call or email the owner of the property and gain access. He would have chairs for them and refreshments. It was privately owned by a local family who would not sell. I guess that is why they built the fence. Too bad for the family. It is just a prime spot.

We were there 2 years ago and I was sad to see remaints of the building and the property overgrown. No sign of anything good. I agree it is prime turf and someone will scarf it up for sure. Not sure what happened to the owner.

That beautiful area was destroyed by Hurricane Dean in 2007, just after our last visit there. About a dozen of us from our roll call went that day, including CC members Tom-n-Cheryl. We even had some T-shirts made up for the occasion.

I know the owners had planned to rebuild, but I don't know where they are in that process. If you do a Google search on Chac-Chi you'll find information that indicates they are open again, but how factual that is I have no idea. We are cruising there in November so I hope to find out some more information and will post what I find. I sent them an e-mail a couple of days ago but have not heard back from them yet. Hopefully this ecological beach resort will once again see some activity.

Chac-ChiShirt.jpg

I just received a reply from the owner, Joaquin, who confirmed they have not yet been able to rebuild. He said visitors are always welcome, even if they are not open, and he will send me an update in October on the location of the "hole in the fence."

I always enjoyed visiting Chac-Chi's beach and plan to go there, if possible, when our cruise stops in Costa Maya on November 1st. I guess I'll take a soft sided cooler and buy some local beers at a port bar and take a fold-up chair with me and enjoy the isolated beach and some snorkeling that I always enjoyed while there.

I'll be sure to take pictures and post a review when we return. Maybe if we get enough cruisers to show more interest it will help speed up the rebuilding process.

John

• 1 month later...
I remember threads here several years ago about the "Hole in the Wall gang" who would call or email the owner of the property and gain access. He would have chairs for them and refreshments. It was privately owned by a local family who would not sell. I guess that is why they built the fence. Too bad for the family. It is just a prime spot.

Yes ma'am,

We were members of the "Hole-in-th-wall Gang". Then Hurricane Wilma finished off Chac-chi. It is a shame that Joaquin had to put up with the pier owners who tried to put him out of business for years and then lost everything to a huricane. I really liked Chac-chi.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Pics of Costa Maya and Chac-chi beach. It looks so beautiful. Such a shame that Joaquin has not been able to rebuild. There are other choices now in Costa Maya that would be his competition though.

This was on January 25th of this year.

309938_10151205658636945_1086420842_n1.jpg

I agree.

I'm a bit surprized that the Port hasn't picke dup any options to grab that side of the pier. The small cove next to the pier has a much better beach and stiller water than the other side. Plus for snorkelers, the area to the right of the picture is better than anything down in Mahahual (although that's not saying too much). However, if the Port devlopers ever got a hold of the land, it'd turn into a SenorFrogsItsCrapOclock SomewhereTresAmigos type of a joint and all the preteen beauty and peacefulness that was Cha Chi will be lost.

If memory serves, the port owners tried to buy Chac-chi and Joaquin wouldn't sell. Then the port owners put up the fence to keep people from going there in an effort to force Joaquin out of business. We stopped at a shop on the road outside the port area and got directions to the hole in the fence. We had the whole place to ourselves. Alas, that was before the hurricane came thru. I don't remember if it was Wilma or Dean.

• 1 month later...

FYI -We were in Costa Mays this last week & did walk into the town, outside of the port area, & did take the first possible right turn off of the main road which was leading up to the recently constructed Mayan temple, & there on my right was the hole in the fence, just as we remembered it from several years ago. There was also what looked like a well worn path that our last time there, did lead to the gate for this closed resort, but we did not go thru the hole to investigate further. But that path did appear to be well worn. This hole is located just outside of the gates to the commissary located at the end of the road & will be on your right side.

From what we saw later while walking back out the dock to the ship, there was a Mexican family with children inside this resort & the kids were playing along the shore line.

It was a really cool place to visit & have a cold one but that was years ago.

Bill in sunny FL

Edited by Will in sunny FL

Thanks for checking this out Bill...nice to hear the hole is still there. Thought it might be fixed or repaired. Guess unless you're bringing your own stuff, like the local family, not much to do there. The little beach is certainly better than the port "beach".

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Chac-Chi's Revisited:

This update on Chac-Chi's is long over due, but I did visit there last November 1st (2012) and the hole-in-the-fence is alive and well. In fact the path seems even more traveled than in the past. In an e-mail exchange with the owner (Joaquin) I knew it wouldn't be officially open but he said I was free to visit the beach.

I brought a small soft-sided cooler with me and filled it with ice before I left the ship and bought 2 or 3 Dos Equis beers in the port area for my visit.

At the end of the path the gateway to Chac-Chi's is still there:

P1000798.jpg

As everyone knows there has been a lot of destruction from the hurricane and the main pavilion along with some other structures are gone. I did find a nice bench to sit on that was beside a volleyball net that looks like it is being used at times:

P1000807.jpg

A lot of the sand has been washed away near the water but it has left some very interesting fossils behind:

P1000810.jpg

It also left behind some trash which was to be expected. It was a peaceful but sad time sitting there and seeing what was left of a beautiful beach area:

P1000811.jpg

There seems to be a family living in one of the surviving buildings but they were friendly and didn't seem to mind me being there. Actually I saw them cleaning some fish early in the day and then they disappeared.

After a couple of hours I spent some time picking up some trash and then headed back to the ship. My mother-in-law was along on this cruise and since she is in a wheel chair I made this visit solo.

I don't know if they'll ever be able to rebuild Chac-Chi's, but if everyone who pays a small visit there picks up a little trash it might give the owners some hope and inspiration. I did enjoy the peace and quiet while I was there and on the beach side where I was sitting the only visitor I had was this pretty cool bird:

P1000816.jpg

It used to be pretty good snorkeling here so next time I'll bring my gear, but be sure to wear water shoes to protect your feet. I hope that someday the owners will be able to rebuild, but in the meantime I did enjoy my "hole-in-the-fence" trip and quiet time on the beach.

John

Thanks Elliot.

Looks like the beach sand has eroded a lot. Still, as a getaway from the crowds could be a nice option, with a better choice of beer:rolleyes: (like Bohemia or Superior, Negra Modelo or even Leon--just my opine:))

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Everyone:

I just posted on another thread asking if anyone was cruising to Costa Maya to please take a picture from the pier or the ship of the beach area to the right of the pier. I pray that they didnt sell out to the developers. Id rather see it not used than developed like the pier. They would have to rip up the ironshore that had amazing tidal pools.

Those of use that had the great opportunity to experience Cha Chi before it was totally destroyed by the hurricane know the magic that it had. It was owned by a family for many generations. It was there WAY BEFORE any cruise ship port was erected. It was an ecological resort. Very austere, but a true nature preserve. The beach was used by turtles to lay their eggs. Joachim was a lovely man. His Ceviche (fish salad) was out of this world and cheap. The soda was cheap I believe he charged $2 for a beer. I am an avid snorkelor and it was really good. Im sure the hurricane ripped up everything, but nature repairs if man doesnt destroy.

So if anyone goes to Costa Maya, would you please take a picture from the ship or pier of the right side of the pier. If it is not developed, that means they didnt strongarm him into selling. Im sure his family could have made a few bucks selling to the developers, but Joachim's integrity about nature and the land being in his family for many generations means more to him than selling out and making it another typical Margaritaville type place..UGH. Cha Chi was the real Mexico. It was magic. I know they have developed the area way beyond what it was when the "the hole in the wall gang" was active. All there we could do was go to the commercialized pier or down to Mahahual a sleepy fishing village that had not been developed yet.

Please post a picture.. Thank you

"Hole in the Wall Gang - Marge"