Snorkeling in Chankanaab

rmartin1286

I know you have to pay to get into Chankanaab, but do you have to pay separetly to snorkel even if you bring your own equipment with you?

We are also considering renting the snorkeling equipment at the park so we don't have to lug ours with us on the boat. How much is it extra to rent snorkeling equipment once you're in Chankanaab? I've seen the entrance fee on other threads, but never how much extra it was to snorkel.

We also have our own equipment but really don't want to haul our fins around, so I emailed Chankanaab to find out how much it would be to rent fins only....it is $5. I would guess renting all the gear would run you around $10-$15. I think I remember seeing around the web they have combo packages with the entrance fee for snorkeling. If I remember it was around $28 or so for park entrance and snorkeling equipment rental.

If you choose to bring your own equipment, you would only have to pay the entrance fee, which is $16 or $14 if you use a coupon from the web. Check out the website for Cozumel Insider for the coupon.

We will probably spend some time at Chankanaab snorkeling in just a few weeks.

We also have our own equipment but really don't want to haul our fins around, so I emailed Chankanaab to find out how much it would be to rent fins only....it is $5. I would guess renting all the gear would run you around $10-$15. I think I remember seeing around the web they have combo packages with the entrance fee for snorkeling. If I remember it was around $28 or so for park entrance and snorkeling equipment rental.

If you choose to bring your own equipment, you would only have to pay the entrance fee, which is $16 or $14 if you use a coupon from the web. Check out the website for Cozumel Insider for the coupon.

We will probably spend some time at Chankanaab snorkeling in just a few weeks.

Hey, you're sailing on the Valor the week before we are! Have fun!

If you are looking for a place to snorkel and are bringing your own gear, you can snorkel right off the back deck of the new Margaritaville that opened last year. We were there a few months back and talked to them and they allow you to snorkel right from their dock. They just ask you buy a couple beers when you are done. Seems reasonable to me.

This will be our first time snorkeling..does anybody know if they have a guide that takes people out at chakk. park?

I was wondering this myself. I've never snorkeled before (we're borrowing a friend's snorkel gear) and wouldn't have the first clue about what to do.

In the past there have been "guides" inside the park, usually around the locker area, that would be glad to help you. I have seen a thread around here somewhere talking about it. That the guide they had was very helpful. They work for tips. Just a thought if you wear glasses-- you might want to rent RX mask. We have been there a couple of times and If I remember right if you are not using fins, take water shoes.

have fun --can't wait until it is my turn

I was wondering this myself. I've never snorkeled before (we're borrowing a friend's snorkel gear) and wouldn't have the first clue about what to do.

I'm definitely no pro, I'm sure there are folks on here who could tell you better, but in case you can't find a guide, it is easier to do on your own than you'd think.

There's a part of the park that's a little rockier, that has steps leading down to the water. All you have to do when you're in the water with your gear on is float face down. Use your fins to move around. If you don't have fins, you can still kick & pull yourself with your arms, but it's easier with fins.

I remember seeing some good fish there, but you may have to swim around a little to find them. It's a lot easier to float face down in the ocean, due to the salt. Make sure the breathing tube is in the proper position (it should stick straight up out of the water as you look down); if it is, you can keep your face in the water for a long time & never have to come up to breathe! It's great! If the tube does end up going underwater (or if you see something deeper that you just can't resist diving down to get a better look at), hold your breath, take the tube out of your mouth & then blow through it really hard. It will get the water out.

If you like the ocean, you'll love snorkeling. It's an incredibly peaceful feeling.

If you are looking for a place to snorkel and are bringing your own gear, you can snorkel right off the back deck of the new Margaritaville that opened last year. We were there a few months back and talked to them and they allow you to snorkel right from their dock. They just ask you buy a couple beers when you are done. Seems reasonable to me.

So where is Margaritaville in reference to the three cruise ports on Cozumel. We are bringing our own snorkel gear on the cruise and are hoping to do some free snorkeling in Cozumel.

Any information would be great thanks.

snorkeling is about the easiest thing you can do in the ocean, short of sitting on the sand.

put the mask on your face, put the snorkel in your mouth, if you have flippers put them on your feet, and go to town. it's very very hard to submerge in the salt water, so you'll find it very easy to just float and enjoy the underwater views. which, fyi, are spectacular. if you want a guide, by all means, go for it. but i think you'll be cool with a little trial and error.

the wife and i brought our own gear, but i did see plenty of stuff available for rental. we didn't have fins, but were fine without them.

and since you didn't ask, my unsolicited opinion of chankanaab is not the best. it's beautiful, but a pretty big tourist trap. the beach is a few inches of sand laid on top of concrete. the "mayan ruins" are epcot center rejects. and the beer is $3 for a can of tecate. and they charge, what, $15 per person for admission?

we had a very nice time, and i don't have any real complaints. but i think we'll be trying something else come december.

So where is Margaritaville in reference to the three cruise ports on Cozumel. We are bringing our own snorkel gear on the cruise and are hoping to do some free snorkeling in Cozumel.

Any information would be great thanks.

I would be interested in knowing this as well. We will be on Royal Caribbeans Navigator of the Seas. Thanks.

snorkeling is about the easiest thing you can do in the ocean, short of sitting on the sand.

It is! I just want to add when you first try, it may take a few minutes to get the breathing going good through the tube - meaning remembering to do it through your mouth and not through your nose. Relax and don't give up and it will soon come very easy for you. Be patient for a few moments and it will all come together - AND be worth it.

Archived