Disabled Traveller in Jerusalem

Thorny990

Myself and a party of 7 will be in Ashod on the 27Th May one of our party has walking problems and uses a mobility scooter. If we take a private tour would it be a problem for the disabled person

Paul

When taking a private tour take into concideration few issues:

1. For a party your size + a scooter make sure you'll get a big enough vehicle that can carry all of you comfortably and has enough space for your scooter too. Don't forget you have to lift the scooter up to the car every time. I don't know any israeli guide who own a vehicle with an automatic lift, one can be rented but that will make the whole deal just too expensive, there for this will have to be done by hand.

2. Modify and tailor your intinerary accordingly. With a scooter you cannot do all classics tours usually offered. I can't see how you do the Via Dolorosa with a scooter but you can plan your visit to the Old City in a way that you can see a lot. For example, you can get to the Holy Sepulcher with a scooter comming from the direction of Zion Gate rather than walking up the Via Dolorosa ... consalt your guide with all this.

Try contact this company, I saw them taking people with mobility problems several time from Haifa port, I don't know if they operate from Ashdod too (I saw your other post and you mentioned the thomson Spirit and they dock in Ashdod...): http://www.travel-Israel.info

Difficult so much is inaccessible if you have limited mobility and scooters are not practical in many sights

Difficult? Yes.

Impossible? No!

I have seen Christian pilgrims doing the Via Dolorosa on a wheel chair...

With the right help and well planned itinerary you can do a lot.

In Jerusalem there is no problem doing Mt of Olives, Garden of Gethsemane, Wailing Wall, Jewish Quarter, Holy Sepulcher and more...

Don't give up!

Thanks for the responce. We have decided to do a private tour with Israel Cruise Excursions i have email a lady called Dina Horn and she has been very helpfull. We can have a private minibus for 8 of us the scooter will fit in the book and they will drop us off as near to any attractions they can to avoid steps.

Paul