Has anybody noticed?

travelbaybee

I just returned from a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess. On arrival I couldn't help but notice that my cabin Steward looked exhausted...(more than usual)..... at dinner I ordered Salmon and received some kind of white fish instead (I'm over 60 years old...I know what Salmon looks & tastes like... :-) and when I questioned the waiter he just said I could order something else if I liked. I also noticed that the menu had significantly changed since my last cruise (same itinerary), last year.

After the cruise, while waiting for a shuttle to take me back to the park & ride, I overheard a discussion by some other passengers - and now I'm wondering if this is true: Princess (two weeks ago) cut back on personnel (significantly) - cabin steward: originally had a helper and was responsible for 12 rooms NOW no helper and is responsible for 18 rooms.

Now that Carnival owns Princess are they slowly turning Princess into the same re: Carnival Cruise lines? in terms of service, quality of food, etc.

How disappointing if this is the case - but would love any info about the accuracy of this info and/or any new info regarding Princess Cruises!

Thanks in advance!

:(:confused::(

Now that Carnival owns Princess are they slowly turning Princess into the same re: Carnival Cruise lines? in terms of service, quality of food, etc.
If the fact that Carnival Corporation (not Carnival Cruise Lines) which also owns Cunard, Seabourne, etc. owns Princess were to have any effect, it would have been done years and years ago. After all, that happened almost twelve years ago. Carnival Cruise Lines has nothing to do with Princess. They are managed separately. If anything, you could say that with the recent management changes, Princess is going to be more affected by HAL than Carnival.

Princess has been owned by Carnival since 2002.

I have noticed that the cabin stewards now work alone and don't have a helper.

The last few cruises we have been on our steward had an assistant on turnaround day and also at other times intermittently.

Mike:)

I just returned from a 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Star Princess. On arrival I couldn't help but notice that my cabin Steward looked exhausted...(more than usual)..... at dinner I ordered Salmon and received some kind of white fish instead (I'm over 60 years old...I know what Salmon looks & tastes like... :-) and when I questioned the waiter he just said I could order something else if I liked. I also noticed that the menu had significantly changed since my last cruise (same itinerary), last year.

After the cruise, while waiting for a shuttle to take me back to the park & ride, I overheard a discussion by some other passengers - and now I'm wondering if this is true: Princess (two weeks ago) cut back on personnel (significantly) - cabin steward: originally had a helper and was responsible for 12 rooms NOW no helper and is responsible for 18 rooms.

How disappointing if this is the case - but would love any info about the accuracy of this info and/or any new info regarding Princess Cruises!

Thanks in advance!

:(:confused::(

Princess room stewards haven 't had assistances we started with them about 4 years ago.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Forums mobile app

On turnaround day, it's all hands on deck to make sure that the cabins are cleaned up and ready for the next batch of passengers. So yes, on that day, there are "assistants" helping the stewards. But after that, they're on their own. On our last cruise, we had a window suite and the steward said that he was responsible for all the window suites and a few cabins down on Plaza...:eek:

If the fact that Carnival Corporation (not Carnival Cruise Lines) which also owns Cunard, Seabourne, etc. owns Princess were to have any effect, it would have been done years and years ago. After all, that happened almost twelve years ago. Carnival Cruise Lines has nothing to do with Princess. They are managed separately. If anything, you could say that with the recent management changes, Princess is going to be more affected by HAL than Carnival.

This is most interesting. How so, Pam?:)

It is both amazing and heartbreaking to see how hard most of the stewards work. I see them very early in the mornings and late in the evenings, and all sorts of hours in between. I do know they get a little break in the day to nap and rest, but they really work hard.

I try not to increase their work load. I keep the cabin very tidy (it is really a little anal retentive, really...). I wipe down the sink and the counter with the towel after I shower. I keep clothes and items off of the floor.

After the first day, I really try hard not to make special requests. It is not that I sacrifice, it is that I just try to be aware of the work load in front of the cabin stewards.

I do have to say, on my last cruise on the Star, I had just started a chemo. One of the primary side effects are these bizarre night sweats (profuse in ways I cannot describe in polite company--trust me). Everyday, our steward would fully change my bedding. I tried to tell him that he did not have to and he just shook his head and smiled. When I explained why, he was even more emphatic in changing the sheets. We were very appreciative of his efforts and we made sure that he was aware of our gratitude. :)

This is most interesting. How so, Pam?:)

I believe that Princess has been moved to a sub-group within Carnival Corp that includes HAL and Seabourne, all now headed by Sten Cruise, the former president of HAL alone. This is why some of us are wondering as to the possible HAL-ization of Princess, or the Princessification of HAL. Whether those are good or bad things obviously depends on one's preferences, experiences, and level of pessimism or optimism -- or paranoia.

I believe that Princess has been moved to a sub-group within Carnival Corp that includes HAL and Seabourne, all now headed by Sten Cruise, the former president of HAL alone. This is why some of us are wondering as to the possible HAL-ization of Princess, or the Princessification of HAL. Whether those are good or bad things obviously depends on one's preferences, experiences, and level of pessimism or optimism -- or paranoia.

Thank you for the information! I was unaware. :)