Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bringing home pineapples???

We will be cruising to Hawaii and want to bring home some pineapples, can anyone share what we must do to bring them home? Can you take them on the plane or do you have to ship? How do you have to package?
Aloha
Mew1

Old September 18th, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Probably the easiest thing to do is buy them in the Honolulu airport after you've passed security. The cost was $23 for a 3 pack and you can carry the box on the plane.

If the pineapple is for you, as opposed to a gift, my advice is to make the most of your pineapple eating opportunities while in Hawaii and on the ship, which will be many. I ate some every day. When it was time to go home, I was fine not having any for a few days. However, about one week after being home, I bought one at the supermarket.

Old September 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The funny thing is that when you get home, the pineapple here won't taste the same. That's because on the islands, many places actually use juice pineapples, which are much sweeter than regular pineapples.

Picking them up at the airport is a little more expensive, but it's the easiest way. There are also many companies that will ship free to the airport, so you can just pick them up curbside. Don't try to buy them in the store and carry them on board - agriculture will take them from you. They need to be from 'authorized' vendors.

Charlie

Old September 19th, 2007, 12:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Due to US Agriculture rules and regulations, it is best to buy your pineapples in the airport since those have a USDA stamp already on them! If you buy them in the grocery stores, they may/may not have one already tagged with the USDA stamp.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." R.L. Stevenson

Click Here to Email Me

Old September 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

We recently picked up two - three packs of Dole pineapple at the Honolulu airport. After opening the boxes at home, I was disappointed to see how small and green the fruit was. I thought that we had been completely "ripped off".

Much to my great surprise , these pineapples ripened within a couple of days and were absolutely amazing. They must have been juice pineapples because my MIL phoned and said that the core was so soft and sweet that she didn't even need to remove it (I automatically tossed mine in the trash after cutting).

By the way, we were told at the airport that the cartons of pineapple do not count toward your carry on lugggage allotment. You can bring home whatever you'd like. Wish I had brought home more!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 19th, 2007, 09:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew1 View Post
We will be cruising to Hawaii and want to bring home some pineapples, can anyone share what we must do to bring them home? Can you take them on the plane or do you have to ship? How do you have to package?
Aloha
Mew1

I think I'm having Deja Vu all over again!

Old September 20th, 2007, 04:08 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerme1 View Post
Due to US Agriculture rules and regulations, it is best to buy your pineapples in the airport since those have a USDA stamp already on them! If you buy them in the grocery stores, they may/may not have one already tagged with the USDA stamp.
I agree and disagree. Right about the regulations and right that grocery store/roadside stand/farmers market pineapples are not approved for export and will be confiscated.

However, while buying at the airport is the easiest for many/most people, I don't necessarily think it's best. There are places that sell approved pineapples and will deliver to the airport. The nice thing with those is that you can order a box of 6 or so and have them packaged as checked baggage (and they do not count against your baggage maximums unless you try to do something crazy and check 10 boxes). Plus, the price for several is often better than the airport prices. (OTOH, it's sure nice to have the carry on boxes available when you've absolutely got to have pineapple to take home and you forgot to order it.) The downside with ordering for delivery to the airport is that, unless you know the company/plantation you are using, you won't be assured of the quality and size. I'm almost positive that the Dole Plantation on Oahu delivers to the airport. I would think that they are going to be mindful of their reputation and only send good pineapples for visitors to take home. I can't help with any other places on Oahu because we almost always fly home from Maui, and the place we use is only on Maui and will not send pineapples to Oahu for take home.

beachchick

Last edited by beachchick; September 20th, 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachchick View Post
I agree and disagree.
beachchick

Great info in your post (especially for those of us going to the islands for the first time)!

Thanks beachchick!

-Monte

Old September 21st, 2007, 01:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

When we were on Oahu in May, 2006, we bought two boxes of 6 pineapples at the Dole Plantation, and had no problem getting them home. The inspection process isn't really that big of a deal, and only took us a couple of extra minutes, the inspectors put red tape on the boxes and then they got checked onto the plane. We gave most away as gifts, and ate a couple of them.

Old September 22nd, 2007, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Gift - How about ONIONS

I always bring back the wonderful Maui Onions. No problem with them through customs. You cannot buy anything like them in US. They are to die for. Not cheap. I group them in 3's and put fancy ribbon around them Friends think I am GREAT (which I am)

Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:01 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I always bring back the wonderful Maui Onions. No problem with them through customs. You cannot buy anything like them in US. They are to die for. Not cheap. I group them in 3's and put fancy ribbon around them Friends think I am GREAT (which I am)
We also bring home Maui onions when we're there "in season" for them. My DH can be sensitive to regular brown/yellow onions, so I cook exclusively with various sweet onions (Vidalia, Texas 1810, etc.) and always set raw onions for salads, burritos, etc. on the side. The Mauis (from Maui--not mainland grown Maui "type") are by far the best. Period. Even my DH can eat them raw in salads and sandwiches. I give some as gifts, use some fresh, and then chop and freeze a bunch for cooking later. Sadly, I'm completely out of Mauis and have to use Vidalias right now.

As an FYI to everyone, if you want to bring home onions, they too must be pre-approved. You can't just go to the grocery store and buy some to take home. Ditto for any and all other fresh fruit that is allowed. Papayas must be fumigated and approved. Not all fruits are allowed to be exported, so check before trying to purchase for take home.

beachchick

Old September 24th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
can't help with any other places on Oahu because we almost always fly home from Maui, and the place we use is only on Maui and will not send pineapples to Oahu for take home.

beachchick
Who do you use in Maui? We will be flying in and out of Maui in October. Thanks!

Carnival: 19 NCL: 4 RCCL: 3 Costa: 3 Princess: 1 Total: 30

Carnival Splendor Repo 11/14...Carnival Breeze 9/14...Carnival Valor 9/13...Carnival Pride 5/13...Carnival Valor 10/12...RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 6/12...Carnival Ecstasy 12/11...Carnival Inspiration 10/11....Carnival Splendor 9/10...Costa Fortuna 2/10...Carnival Freedom 9/09...Carnival Holiday 8/09...Carnival Fantasy 3/09...Carnival Imagination 11/08...Carnival Glory 8/08...Costa Fortuna 3/08...Carnival Legend 9/07...Carnival Sensation 11/06...Carnival Glory 9/06...Costa Mediterranea 3/06...NCL Pride of America 9/05...Caribbean Princess 9/04...Carnival Victory 9/02...RCCL Vicking Serenade 3/01...Carnival Sensation 9/00...RCCL Song of America 12/98...NCL Norway 6/97...Carnival Sensation 8/96...NCL Seaward 8/94...NCL Seaward 6/94.

Old September 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreytRacer View Post
Who do you use in Maui? We will be flying in and out of Maui in October. Thanks!
Take Home Maui in Lahaina. They have a tiny little store on Dickenson right off Front St. We have never been disappointed with the quality, price, or service. Maui Gold is my absolute favorite variety of pineapple. Yum, yum, and yummy.

beachchick

Old September 25th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Take Home Maui in Lahaina. They have a tiny little store on Dickenson right off Front St. We have never been disappointed with the quality, price, or service. Maui Gold is my absolute favorite variety of pineapple. Yum, yum, and yummy.

beachchick
Thanks! We'll be sure to check it out. I've been eating pineapple like crazy lately, because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'll take Hawaii pineapple over ibuprofen any day!

Carnival Splendor Repo 11/14...Carnival Breeze 9/14...Carnival Valor 9/13...Carnival Pride 5/13...Carnival Valor 10/12...RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 6/12...Carnival Ecstasy 12/11...Carnival Inspiration 10/11....Carnival Splendor 9/10...Costa Fortuna 2/10...Carnival Freedom 9/09...Carnival Holiday 8/09...Carnival Fantasy 3/09...Carnival Imagination 11/08...Carnival Glory 8/08...Costa Fortuna 3/08...Carnival Legend 9/07...Carnival Sensation 11/06...Carnival Glory 9/06...Costa Mediterranea 3/06...NCL Pride of America 9/05...Caribbean Princess 9/04...Carnival Victory 9/02...RCCL Vicking Serenade 3/01...Carnival Sensation 9/00...RCCL Song of America 12/98...NCL Norway 6/97...Carnival Sensation 8/96...NCL Seaward 8/94...NCL Seaward 6/94.

Old September 26th, 2007, 05:56 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Thanks! We'll be sure to check it out. I've been eating pineapple like crazy lately, because of it's anti-inflammatory properties. I'll take Hawaii pineapple over ibuprofen any day!
My pleasure. I hope you like the Maui Gold. Hm...I have to take anti-inflammatory meds every day (including ibuprofen). Perhaps I should try to get my doctors to prescribe regular visits to Hawaii for pineapple consumption. Think the insurance company would go for that?

beachchick

Old September 26th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
My pleasure. I hope you like the Maui Gold. Hm...I have to take anti-inflammatory meds every day (including ibuprofen). Perhaps I should try to get my doctors to prescribe regular visits to Hawaii for pineapple consumption. Think the insurance company would go for that?

beachchick
I work in a medical office and we have been asked to write letters to insurance companies to cover stranger things than that!

Old September 27th, 2007, 03:36 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
I work in a medical office and we have been asked to write letters to insurance companies to cover stranger things than that!
I don't doubt it! I sure get tired of the side effects of all the meds, but the alternative isn't great either. I'm not exactly fond of being in constant pain.

beachchick

Old October 11th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Check with airline

I was speaking to NorthWest about seat assignments, and I mentioned pineapples. She said that their policy is that each person can bring one box of pineapples, and that they charge $10 for each box. I am thinking that every airline is going to have its own unique policy, and it wouldn't hurt people to double-check beforehand if they know they want to bring home some pineapple.

Old October 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyarli View Post
I was speaking to NorthWest about seat assignments, and I mentioned pineapples. She said that their policy is that each person can bring one box of pineapples, and that they charge $10 for each box. I am thinking that every airline is going to have its own unique policy, and it wouldn't hurt people to double-check beforehand if they know they want to bring home some pineapple.
This is good to know and an excellent suggestion. Let me amend my previous statements: United will allow pax to each check two full boxes of pineapple for no extra charge and will allow two carryon smaller boxes per pax; American will allow at least one checked box per pax at no charge and two carryon boxes per pax at no charge; Aloha will allow at least one checked box per pax and two carryon boxes per pax at no extra charge. (Caveat: These are our experiences. With fuel costs skyrocketing, who knows how things might change. The carryon boxes are the smaller three-pineapple sized ones that you can buy after you pass through security.)

beachchick

Last edited by beachchick; October 12th, 2007 at 02:36 AM.

Old October 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just back form Maui and brought back a 10 pineapple box of Maui Gold. It worked out great! The man in the store was so helpful and friendly. I asked him if he was the owner, and he said if he was, he'd be out surfing, not working in the shop!

They were waiting for us at the airport with the box (called my cell phone to confirm I was on airport property) and put the box on the AG inspection conveyor for me.

We flew United, and as the box was less than 50 lbs, they counted it as one of our checked bags and there was no charge.

Thanks beachchick!