great stirrup caye hammocks

karen327

We will be stopping (if weather cooperates) at great stirrup caye in early march and would like to be able to nap under a tree in a hammock. Are they available at this private island? Do we need to wake up early and get on the first tender in order to obtain one? Also, how long is the walk to the lighthouse, and is it through a woods, along a beach, or what?

is 2 miles each direction. It's an easy walk if the weather isn't too hot. For either destination, lighthouse or hammock, use insect repellent to protect yourself from the sand fleas. They are not at the shore line, just where the sand and palms meet.

If you walk out to the lighthouse, there is a fantastic view about a 1/3 of a mile up the trail (single lane sandy/rocky road). You will see an old cinderblock building on the left and a narrow trail next to it. Simply walk out to the rocks for the spectacular view. DH and I did not think it was 2 miles to the lighthouse (stated on sign). It was more like a mile out there, and it is an easy walk. Definitely wear shoes, since some places are rocky.

We were on the island last week and did not have an issue with any bugs on the trails.

We were on the first tender and there were plenty of hammocks when we arrived. Some hammocks are in front of the straw market, and others are along the start of the trail to the lighthouse. I have a few pictures of GSC posted on my blog (see link in my signature) of GSC and the lighthouse last week.

Archived