buckingham palace --have you been there?

sunsetme

I am staying 2 days prec cruise in London in August.

I am planning to go to Buckingham Palace to see the State Rooms.

Has anyone done this? How was it? How long did you spend there?

Was it crowded? I know they have timed admissions.

Thanks

Yes, I did the Buckingham Palace tour. We spent several hours there and it was amazing!

We had a ten am report time and were in the building very quickly. There is a shop at the end and we walked through the gardens when we left. We left around one pm and it was a long walk to a taxi stand.

Since it's only open for a month or two, I think you are wise to take advantage of the tour. If I remember correctly, we got the tickets online,

Thanks

We took a palace tour and spend an entire morning there (including waiting time). It was very nice. The Palace was splendid. I think they limited the number of people in tours; therefore it's not crowded at all. There's a gift shop at the end of the tour, where you could buy unique souvenirs.

Though the tour was nice, I wouldn't consider it a "must see" if I only have 2 days in London. IMHO there are a lot of more interesting attractions in London: British Museum, Westminster Abbey, Tower of London, House of Parliament and Big Ben.

I agree that there are probably more interesting things to do in London than look around a tiny tiny part of Buck House. Go instead to watch the changing of the Guard. Book a trip on the London Eye, the best way to see the Skyline. The Tower of London is worth a trip to see the Crown Jewels and if you like shopping, make for Harrods

I agree that there are probably more interesting things to do in London than look around a tiny tiny part of Buck House.
I agree that it's not "a tiny tiny part" of Buckingham Palace. I've been lucky to have been to Buckingham Palace a couple of times, but not as part of the public opening. The public opening allows you to see quite a lot of the public spaces - the rooms and areas that you would be allowed to see if you were invited there on Palace business. So I think it would really be quite special if you're here when it's open to the public. Last year, after having been to the Palace before the period public opening, we had made a note to go back - but alas, didn't have enough time to do it. We therefore missed out on seeing the banquet room laid out as for a State banquet.

Thanks

I thought the palace tour was just ok. I loved the Tower of London Beefeater tour and I loved the British Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum. I thought the London Eye was just ok. I loved watching the Changing of the Guard even tho it was quite crowded. I loved the Ceremony of the Keys. I loved having lunch and watching the puppet show at Picadilly Circus. I loved riding the underground and I loved walking around Harrods. With only two days, you have to pick and choose the things that most interest you, but London is one of my favorite places and I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices.:)

Since the palace is only open August and September suggest you do go see it if you are there those months. The timed ticked can be bought on the Royal Collection web site.

A few years ago I also visited Clarence House where Prince Charles lives. It was only open for a month and very interesting to see. It is much more Homey. Really cool to see. Don't even know if it is still open.

I would skip Kensington Palace where Princess Diana lived. A museum and not like a home at all.

Took the Buck House tour last August post cruise with my two teen sons. Great, great tour! Spent about 2 hours total. Purchased tickets on-line before we left (but don't remember having a choice of different rooms.) Saw everything that was open to the public - and enjoyed the best audio 'thingy' that was included in the price of the tour. IMHO, it's worth including the audio. My kids and I both loved the tour. I believe you can do all three tours that are being recommended on this thread in a day. London Eye first thing (walked right on) Tower late morning and Buckingham Palace that afternoon.) Very do-able. Enjoy!!

We toured Buckingham Palace 18 months ago and it was awesome. You do get to see quite a lot - I believe the Royal Family only live in a small part of the palace.

We just did a tour of the staterooms which took at least a couple of hours. You can walk through the gardens after the tour too. We did the tour of Kensington Palace a few months earlier, which was interesting but not nearly as good as the Buckingham Palace tour.

Do try to book your tickets in advance to avoid disappointment.

I went last summer. I think if you have time, you should do it. There is a lot to see. I found it very interesting. If, however, you only have time for one tour, it would have to be the Tower of London, and take the Beefeater tour (free). I've been four times (lived there for 4 years) and each guide was great.

We went to Buckingham Palace last year and it's definitely a must do in my book. We had tickets for all 3 (Gallery/Palace & Mews). We picked the Gallery first as it had the earliest opening time in the morning. As I'd booked all 3 as a package - only the first was a timed ticket, The Palace & Mews were open times. No one was allowed in before their time, people arriving early were made to wait. You'd need to spend 3-4 hours there in total. It was very busy but I wouldn't say it was crowded. They are very organised and keep everyone moving.

We stayed in the Thistle Westminster which is literally across the road. We had a family room for 5 which is rare in London and I would recommend it if you wanted to be near the Palace.

Although we live in England, we go to London quite often for weekend breaks. As someone who's visited London as tourist I'd recommend Buckingham Palace.

As for other things to do... there's far too many to do in 2 days, we've been many times and there's still places I'd love to see.

Go to The Royal Albert Hall... do a tour (very good value for money in London.. you can book online) or even better a concert. See Kensington Palace and afterwards have a picnic in the park. Do some shopping on Kensington High Street... much nicer than Oxford Street.

And go to the museums they are free!!

My favourite hotel is the Marriott County Hall Westminster, fabulous location. On the banks of the Thames with stunning views of Big Ben, Westminster Bridge, Houses of Parliament and London Eye right outside your bedroom window! We had a tour of the Houses of Parliament, went on the London Eye, then caught a boat (pier right outside the hotel) to The Tower of London. Then later another boat to the O2 arena for a concert. Many, many things to see/do in this area and Waterloo station is just outside the hotel entrance. Not near the shops or theatres but the view from our window did it for me.

I wouldn't worry too much about picking a hotel next to a station or a particular place you want to visit as getting around is easy. We didn't use the underground, we either walked or got a taxi. Also to save time queueing, I would recommend buying tickets for attractions in advance whenever possible, most are available online. And plan your day, you will fit much more in that way.

I think the Palace is not to be missed. If you can read 'Murder at Buckingham Palace" it is a fun paperback. Gives some hints on places to look for. The Tower is also terrific and if you can, the Ceremony of the Keys is a treat.

For a short time, a HOHO bus is the way to go, first riding about to get the lay of the land, so to speak. The ticket is good for 24 hours.

I think the Palace is not to be missed. If you can read 'Murder at Buckingham Palace" it is a fun paperback. Gives some hints on places to look for. The Tower is also terrific and if you can, the Ceremony of the Keys is a treat.

For a short time, a HOHO bus is the way to go, first riding about to get the lay of the land, so to speak. The ticket is good for 24 hours.

Thank for the hint on the book. Also, we already have our tickets to the Ceremony of the Keys. Can't wait. Do I need to buy the tickets to Buckingham Palace ahead of time?

Marilee

Archived