Cruising Southern Caribbean with Scooter

Hello, My husband and I will be sailing Adventures of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean in November. We have rented Scooters for cruises in the past and will do so for this cruise. I am thinking this cruise I will try to take the Scooter off the ship so my husband won't have to push me in my wheelchair. I've never taken the Scooter off the ship before, all our ports are docked. I would just like to get some idea of how difficult it is to get down the ship ramp once in port. Any opinions are welcome.

Thank you,

Rhonda

Hello, My husband and I will be sailing Adventures of the Seas to the Southern Caribbean in November. We have rented Scooters for cruises in the past and will do so for this cruise. I am thinking this cruise I will try to take the Scooter off the ship so my husband won't have to push me in my wheelchair. I've never taken the Scooter off the ship before, all our ports are docked. I would just like to get some idea of how difficult it is to get down the ship ramp once in port. Any opinions are welcome.

Thank you,

Rhonda

The crew will assist you getting up and down the ramp. Though there are a few things you need to be made aware of before the crew assists you. Do not under and circumstances allow the crew to push the scooter before you have engage the neutral switch. It's generally the little yellow lever on the motor just below the seat. This places the scooter into neutral gear which allows the wheels to move freely . If the scooter is pushed when not in neutral the motor can be permanently damaged and you will be responsible for full replacement cost.

Also depending on the how steep of angle the gangway is the scooter may have to be lifted up over the hindge joints as the scooter will have only a 2" ground clearance and can get hung up on the hindge joints.

With this state, don't be scared, it's basically very easy and as already stated the crew will assist you. What I do is get off the scooter, place it neutral and a crew member will roll the scooter down/up the gangway while I than slowly walk up/down the gangway. It's much easier.

Agree with xxoo. I usually walk up/down at my own pace with cane. I just try to get back before the crowd is getting back on. Be ready -- on Freedom in January we had to wait for a crew member to get the patches to swipe the scooter (like they do in airport for explosives) and then wait for him to get back on ship, run it through the machine, and then come back to let us know we could get back on ship. Didn't swipe walkers or baby strollers, but did the scooter at every port.

Barb

xxoocruiser is on point. I always take my scooter on cruises and have basically figured out what I can and cannot do on the scooter. Don't know which ports you will visit but based on the one's we've have cruised to in the southern Caribbean, you won't have any trouble once you're off the ship. i.e. Curacao, Aruba, Colombia, Bonaire, etc. The scooter is a lifesaver for anyone who has mobility problems and it gives your DH a break from pushing you in a WC.

One piece of advice, I always strap a backpack on my scooter's back rest so that I can carry water, a 1st. aid kit, a rain poncho(to cover the electronics on the scooter if it rains) and a couple of extra fuses. This allows me to also have plenty of room for purchases made while in port. When I get back on the ship, I send the backpack with it's contents through the security scanner versus sending multiple bags.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. It looks like you have all said you go up and down the gangway separate from your scooters. What I'm actually trying to figure out is what if your unable to do that and need to ride the scooter. I don't mind telling you because I've never done this before(only in my wheelchair)it makes me really nervous. I really want to give my DH a break while in port. Thank you all.

Rhonda

Thank you all so much for your help and advice. It looks like you have all said you go up and down the gangway separate from your scooters. What I'm actually trying to figure out is what if your unable to do that and need to ride the scooter. I don't mind telling you because I've never done this before(only in my wheelchair)it makes me really nervous. I really want to give my DH a break while in port. Thank you all.

Rhonda

If you're uable to walk down the gangway than the crew will assist you down while you remain on the scooter. It's important to note depending on the type of scooter you rented the crew may have to pick the scooter and you up to get over the hindged areas of the gangway as the scooter will not have enough clearance otherwise

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I'm just really nervous about this but, because all are stops are in port and not tendered I really want to give my husband a break from pushing the WC. So, you all think there's nothing to going down the gang plank ramp or back up again upon my return while using the mobility scooter if I can't walk? You've done this before yourselves and you think it's very safe and an easy thing to do?

Rhonda

I think it is generally easy to get on and off the ship at non-tendered ports while riding my scooter. However, there are times when they use a ridged ramp rather than a flat one. I am not talking about the incline but some ramps have ridges in them and some do not. I find riding over the ridged ramps uncomfortable although I have never been caught on one. It is just constant bouncing. If I am confronted with a ridged ramp I get off and walk the ramp - slowly and with two canes - and then get back on the scooter at the bottom (or top if coming back) of the ramp. You sound like you haven't used a scooter very often. It is a special skill set. A four wheel scooter is more stable while a three wheel scooter has a much smaller turning circle. Both types take up floor space in your cabin. Without my scooter I would probably be at home rather than traveling. If you need a very large scooter it may be wider than the ramp which will really put a hitch in your plans. I use a travelscoot and don't have that problem. You can go to the purser's desk and request wheelchair assistance at the ports. You would then transfer to a wheelchair for the trip down the ramp and the crew would bring the scooter to you. I haven't asked for this assistance but I would think it would be something that would be provided. I primarily cruise with Princess but can't imagine that Royal would be very different.

i agree....crew was most accomodating on a recent cruise to bermuda on ncl. the wheelchair sounds safe and non-stressful. have them take the scooter down. i chickened out several times and decided to let them do it! no sense ending up in a heap if you don't have to!! we did bring a small wheelchair and used that one day to get as close to the beach as possible.

Thank you all so for all your help. I have rented scooters for travel before on vacations but I've never gotten off the ship with one before. If the cruise line can have a wheelchair available so to get on and off that would probably make things all lot simpler and I don't want to use mine because I need to make sure it doesn't get lost. You all have been so helpful. Thank you.

Rhonda

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your info. It is very helpful. I need help, hopefully someone out there has a wonderful answer:) The scooter company that I have rented with Special Needs Group for my cruise on Ruby Princess will not put a basket on the back of the scooter for my oxygen (respironics)--it will not fit in the small one on the front. Needs to be open not a closed container. Any ideas as to what I could hand over the scooter back to hold my 10lb oxygen concentrator? Thank you!

Thank you all for your info. It is very helpful. I need help, hopefully someone out there has a wonderful answer:) The scooter company that I have rented with Special Needs Group for my cruise on Ruby Princess will not put a basket on the back of the scooter for my oxygen (respironics)--it will not fit in the small one on the front. Needs to be open not a closed container. Any ideas as to what I could hand over the scooter back to hold my 10lb oxygen concentrator? Thank you!

You can put the concentrator between your feet on the scooter deck or,

you can buy some velcro straps and attach it to the back of the scooter seat, similar to attaching a back pack to the seat.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhonda,

Haven't read all responses in full, but my husband relies on his power chair on a cruise, on & off the ship. He can't walk far at all. He has never had a problem while in port getting on or off the ship. As others have said, the crew is wonderful to help where needed. Only time he had a problem was a tide issue in Canada & it made the ramp difficult but there again 3 crew members helped. Go & have fun!! When we cruise RCL from Baltimore we enter the ship from the bottom & go up in the elevator, that way anyone in chair or scooter doesn't have to go up the gangway (ramp). If u feel u need some assistance, just ask.

Rhonda,

Haven't read all responses in full, but my husband relies on his power chair on a cruise, on & off the ship. He can't walk far at all. He has never had a problem while in port getting on or off the ship. As others have said, the crew is wonderful to help where needed. Only time he had a problem was a tide issue in Canada & it made the ramp difficult but there again 3 crew members helped. Go & have fun!! When we cruise RCL from Baltimore we enter the ship from the bottom & go up in the elevator, that way anyone in chair or scooter doesn't have to go up the gangway (ramp). If u feel u need some assistance, just ask.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE : Boarding & Leaving the ship by not having to go up/down the gangway is only for Embarkation and Disembarkation in Baltimore. This option will not be available for the other ports on OP's intinerary .

IMPORTANT TO NOTE : Boarding & Leaving the ship by not having to go up/down the gangway is only for Embarkation and Disembarkation in Baltimore. This option will not be available for the other ports on OP's intinerary .

Thank you all so much for your info and opinions/ I feel a little better about trying to do this now. You've all been very helpful.

Rhonda

There is no problem going down off the ship. Always someone there to assist you -- you put it in slow, someone in front of you and one in back of you -- turn at bottom is sometimes sharp. If you go slow, no problem. Make sure no one is in your way getting off. Most are not steep and very doable. Going back on sometimes a little downhill ramp just before card booth -- make sure no one is there in front of you. Take your time, it will be fine! Good luck. Vicki:)

• 2 weeks later...

One piece of advice, I always strap a backpack on my scooter's back rest so that I can carry water, a 1st. aid kit, a rain poncho(to cover the electronics on the scooter if it rains) and a couple of extra fuses. This allows me to also have plenty of room for purchases made while in port. When I get back on the ship, I send the backpack with it's contents through the security scanner versus sending multiple bags.

DH has a GoGo travel scooter and I have no knowledge of fuses should one blow it would be my job to fix it, Big Duh on my part. Where would I buy extra ones; where do they go?

DH has a GoGo travel scooter and I have no knowledge of fuses should one blow it would be my job to fix it, Big Duh on my part. Where would I buy extra ones; where do they go?

Refer to your owners manual for the location and type of fuse specific to your scooter as there are several different Models of Pride Go Go Scooters. In general there are typically 2 fuses on a Pride Go Go scooter regardless of model but type and location may differ depending on what model you have.

One is typcally located directly on the battery pack next to the plug for the charger.

The other one is located on the foot bed underneath where the Battery Pack sits. If you're unable to locate them than suggest you contact Pride's Customer service department.

Refer to your owners manual for the location and type of fuse specific to your scooter as there are several different Models of Pride Go Go Scooters. In general there are typically 2 fuses on a Pride Go Go scooter regardless of model but type and location may differ depending on what model you have.

One is typcally located directly on the battery pack next to the plug for the charger.

The other one is located on the foot bed underneath where the Battery Pack sits. If you're unable to locate them than suggest you contact Pride's Customer service department.

Thank you!

Hi All, I've read on these threads that the keys for these scooters are interchangeable. That mistakes can be made if you don't do something to make yours recognizable. Does anyone know if that's true? Thanks.

Rhonda

It's correct that scooter keys are not unique. For example a key to a Pride Go Go regardless of the model will fit all models of Pride Go Go's.

Though it's rare but it can happen. I had parked my scooter outside the dining room one evening along side the wall as I was going to collect my scooter after diner spotted a waiter about to drive off with mine thinking it was the one there table guest sent them to get. Apparrently the table guest told the waiter that it was the red scooter parked along the wall just outside the dining as there was another scooter identical to mine parked there as well. BTW I had taken the key with me and apparently his table guest also had taken their key that's how he was able to drive it. Since than I place one of the ships luggage tag on the scooter and also tie a bright green scarf on it . Have never had a problem since.

If you are renting a scooter from either Caravacations or Special Needs at Seas. Most of the scooters look alike with the name of the rental company clearly marked on them. The rentals are also maked with a serial number for the company to identify which scooter has been assigned to what cabin. Most people don't realize that so if the scooter gets interchanged unknowingly there's always that possibility of a person being charged for damages they didn't cause because they didn't bother to check what scooter they were taking. Another reason to do something to identify it as uniquely yours if renting.

• 2 weeks later...

Have the crew take a chair down the ramp. Have them take your husband down in his wheelchair, and move over to the chair. Then have them move the scooter down while you sit in his wheelchair. Then they take you down and you sit on the scooter, your husband sits in his chair. and you are both off for a great time. I think they would get a kick out of this as long as you didnt do it at peak time.

Or, have guest services have a wheelchair there for you to use on the ramp.

• 4 weeks later...

One little hint. When I am taking my rented scooter into a port, I wait until the crowd has gone down. The crew then has the time to take care of me. Also, do not worry about fuses and problems. My scooted died once in Tortola and I was quite a way from ship. I called the 800 number. They called the ship and crew was sent to help. They could not get it to work, but pushed me all the way back, and once on board, there was a replacement scooter waiting. They said companies usually leave a spare on board. The next day they called our cabin and said the first one was running again. I could either have it back or keep the one I had. I thought the service was fantastic. This is why I use the cruise lines recommended company.

Archived