Where To Stay In Copenhagen??

GailnBrad

I'm really in a state of confusion...We will be staying in Copenhagen for two days pre cruise. We will be flying in. Where is the easiest place to stay...near the airport, near the city center, near the cruise port...whichever area we choose seems to be very far from the rest...It seems we will be spending a fortune on transportation during our two days pre cruise...??? :(

For sure Copenhagen is expensive. My reco would be to stay city center. Then you can walk to most of the sights and only pay for transport to hotel and ship (not that far but not walkable).

I found a great deal on the hotel website for the Phoenix COpenhagen. We really enjoyed the location and the room was quite nice. I would highly recommend.

Enjoy. Copenhagen is a great city and walker and tourist friendly

I also agree you should stay in the city center. As mentioned, you can walk to most all of the attractions, and you'll have plenty of choices for dining.

I have stayed at 2 hotels in Copenhagen. Most recently, I was at the Andersen Boutique Hotel. It is a very short walk from the train station. We got a very good rate there as compared to other choices in Copenhagen. Another time I stayed at The Square. It was also a good rate several years ago, but it was more expensive on my most recent visit this past May.

If you stay in the city center, you can conceivably get by with just two train rides: one from the airport to the city center, then the other from the city center to the cruise pier.

There is another thread with LOTS of information on Copenhagen. You might want to scan it as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1772831

I'm really in a state of confusion...We will be staying in Copenhagen for two days pre cruise. We will be flying in. Where is the easiest place to stay...near the airport, near the city center, near the cruise port...whichever area we choose seems to be very far from the rest...It seems we will be spending a fortune on transportation during our two days pre cruise...??? :(

You will want to stay in the city. You can take the train from the Airport to the main central terminal in the City, only a 13 min. ride from the airport. Find a hotel near the train station. We stayed at the Radisson Royal Blu which is close to the train station. We used points and our stay was free. We received our points from the Club Carlson Premier Rewards Visa Signature Card, here's the website if your interested. http://www.clubcarlsonvisa.com/credit/welcome.do?loc=21603&source=19069&prod=03&redirect=19069&file=&fileAltLang=&exp=&lang=en&referral=employee We applied for this card specifically to get the points needed to stay in Copenhagen for free, as well as 3 nights in London. So, although Copenhagen is an expensive city, there are ways to find cheaper options as what we used.

What ever you do, staying in the City is the place to be. On the day of sailing for a cruise, you can take either a taxi, or train. If the ship is at Freport, you can get off at Nordhavn station and walk a 15 min. to the ship. Same for the return back to the airport, walk from the ship to Nordhavn station and take the train back to the airport. For us, we were from the ship to the airport in about 30 min, and far cheaper than a taxi.

Basically, the city is the easiest place. Easy train to the city, and trains to the ship, plus all the activities to see and do are in the city. So, stay in the city, and a hotel that is hopefully not too far from a train station. There are many stations in Copenhagen. Copenhagen is truly a wonderful city, it will all work out in the end, and you'll enjoy a wonderful stay.

The metro is right at the aiport (tickets sold right there at booth) and ride it about 15 minutes into town (Kogens Nytorv in our case). We walked a couple of blocks to the Hotel Maritime (cheaper, clean, breakfast included) (see reviews on www.tripadvisor.com) and could walk to Amalienburg palace, Slotsholmen palace, the little mermaid, canal tours, amber museum, shopping, etc right from there. It's basically in Nyhavn which is where the main canal sights are. We took a taxi to the ship (about $25) from hotel but could have easilty taken the metro and train. I would also look into the www.copenhagencard.com which includes access to 75 museums, attractions, tivoli gardens, zoo, aqaurium, metro, bus, train, and canal tour. You can buy it for 24 hours ($55), 48 hours ($85) aprox. and saves you from having to pay for everything once you're there. You can buy it at the airport or we had ours mailed to us.

We stayed at The Square Hotel which is located across the street from the city square, a very convenient location IMHO. We were all very pleased with it and simply took a taxi to the port for the cruise.

We enjoyed exploring the city with the HOHO bus. We also took a walking tour and a tour of the Rosenborg Castle with a gentleman who dressed up like Hans Christian Anderson. We read about him here on CC and really enjoyed his tours at very reasonable prices! I see that Rick Steve's even recommends him now! Here's a link...

http://copenhagenwalks.com/1024x768/default.htm

Enjoy!

Elaine

Another vote for the Square hotel. It is quite easy to walk every where. We tried the bus system and failed so we walked all over the city and had a great time.

At the end of our cruise we ended up at the Copenhagen Go hotel (very long story) which I do not recommend. I felt like I was back in a college dorm room.

For sure Copenhagen is expensive. My reco would be to stay city center. Then you can walk to most of the sights and only pay for transport to hotel and ship (not that far but not walkable). I found a great deal on the hotel website for the Phoenix COpenhagen. We really enjoyed the location and the room was quite nice. I would highly recommend. Enjoy. Copenhagen is a great city and walker and tourist friendly

Agree strongly with above and by others on the super importance for having a handy' date=' central location[/i']. Below is where we stayed and why.

Also, just to share that night with the lights in Tivoli was a super joy for us. Got up early the next morning, experienced seeing lots of people riding their bikes to work, etc., etc. In a central location, versus at the airport and/or on the edge of a warehouse area, you can better experience the "glories" and beauty of this great city.

Location is important. Be central and handy, PLUS, if possible get a flavor for the Danish character and/or style. We can stay at a Marriott and/or chain name any time in America. Why repeat those previous, typical experiences?? Try something a little different in Europe, in my view.

Really like The Square, as others have smartly noted!! Would do them again, if the pricing was reasonable. But, Denmark and this part of Europe are not cheap. Very clean and nice hotel. Below are some visual samples for this great city, at night for Tivoli, etc.

Added questions, reactions??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 119,255 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

At Tivoli, their main gate is lighted in a spectacular and welcoming manner. Walt Disney was inspired in 1950 to construct Disneyland after visiting this park in the heart of Copenhagen. Tivoli opened in 1843 and encompasses eight hectares with 1,000 trees and 400,000 summer flowers planted throughout the gardens. It boasts upwards of 40 restaurants, a Chinese-style pantomime theater, open-air concert stage, amusement park and Denmark’s longest salt-water aquarium. In the evening, the park is lighted up with Chinese lanterns, multi-colored lights, etc. That truly makes it a “Magic Kingdom” to make Disney happy. Website at: tivoligardens.com.:

TivoliGateNight.jpg

Copenhagen’s famed Tivoli has a wide variety of entertainment happening each day and evening. Here, we enjoyed this super energized “BIG BAND” performance, including the Duke’s famed “Night Train” sounds. This park inspired Walt Disney for his great 20th Century creations! Tivoli’s history goes back to 1843. Very unique and special place that is so handy. If possible, visit there in the evening when the lighting makes things so much more magical!!:

TivoliBigBand.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

Archived