Tour Guide wants more people to make a minimum group size

Kat in CA

I contacted Clement Baptiste months ago and arranged a tour for our March 19 stop in Grenada. There are just two of us. He responded promptly, gave a price and put us on his list.

Yesterday I emailed him to confirm that we will still be going. He responded that he wants at least 4 to 6 more people.

To me that means either:

I have to put a message on the Roll Call and hope for the best. OR

We will be waiting around at the pier while he tries to drum up more people. OR

The tour will be cancelled at the last minute due to insufficient numbers.

Should I just find a different tour? I do not want to try to convince strangers to come too, and I hate last minute on-the-pier delays and surprises.

What has been your experience with private tour guides that want you to find others for the group tour?

I think it's OK for guides to let you know that your price will go down if you get more people, but as far as whether the tour runs or not -- uh uh, no way! It's not fair to you not to be able to make plans.

There are plenty of good guides in Grenada. If all else fails, there are always many taxi drivers at the pier who are thrilled to accomodate any requests. The only advantage of booking ahead is to secure an unusually pleasant and personable guide, which it sounds like this one is not. Thanks for the heads up!

I'm sorry to hear that. That is certainly not the norm here in Grenada. If he didn't give a minimum number of occupants up front then he should commit to carrying out the tour at the price he quoted just for the two of you. My feeling is, unless you can get him to commit otherwise, is that he will either wait to try and get others to be on board with you on the day or will cancel.

As per the other poster check out other taxi/tour drivers and get peace of mind that your day on our beautiful island is sorted. There are a number of operators that advertise on TripAdvisor that I'm sure will not try to do this to you.

I hope you have a wonderful time here on our fabulous island :D