Need UK train Info

Gangplanker

Hello Fellow Cruisers:

I am toying with a semi-crazy idea prior to our Fall TA. Is it possible to take a train from London to Plymouth? (I assume it's doable.) If so, where would be the best place to look for schedules, fares, etc? I'm just researching at this point.

Thanks, Jack

Hello Fellow Cruisers:

I am toying with a semi-crazy idea prior to our Fall TA. Is it possible to take a train from London to Plymouth? (I assume it's doable.) If so, where would be the best place to look for schedules, fares, etc? I'm just researching at this point.

Thanks, Jack

Extremely doable. Look at the National Rail website for times and prices. Plenty of direct trains from London Paddington, and even a sleeper option if you are so inclined. May not be able to get fall schedules this far out, but you can look at the same day of week a few weeks out to give you an idea.

I've found thetrainline.com. Just wondering if that's the best/only option. Sorry to sound so ignorant. Oh, I just see the national rail site--thank you for that!

Edited to add: yes, better pricing on the National Rail site, advance purchase just £38! Too far out still but as soon as we decide if we want to go with this plan I now know where to book. Many thanks.

Edited by Gangplanker

I've found thetrainline.com. Just wondering if that's the best/only option. Sorry to sound so ignorant. Oh, I just see the national rail site--thank you for that!

Edited to add: yes, better pricing on the National Rail site, advance purchase just £38! Too far out still but as soon as we decide if we want to go with this plan I now know where to book. Many thanks.

No problem! For more info, don't hesitate to go check out the British Isles section of the Ports of Call boards here. Lots of locals more than willing to give some very good advice.

Rail fares in the UK are extremely complex and depend on when you purchase your ticket in addition to when [day and time] you travel, how flexible a ticket you want and the route/type of train/train operator you use. A ticket for the same journey on the same route just a few minutes appart can vary if, for example, one is a fast train and the other a slow one. There are many different websites you can use to purchase your ticket. If we can believe the advertisements, different websites offer better/worse prices for exactly the same ticket. Most/all will also charge a booking fee [which may or may not differ] but these should be obvious up front.

In short, a website such as the train line or cross country trains [both of which I use], should give you all the options and let you choose what is best for you. It should be better to purchase your ticket well in advance. I have never used the National Rail site but I will check them out next time I need a train ticket.

You should also consider paying extra to reserve a seat. Most trains are very full and a ticket does not guarantee you a seat!

Oh! I tried the 'UK Cruisers' page and it looked like there was no activity--that's why I posted here. Thanks for the tip.

I checked out Paddington Station; we would be staying in Battersea Park so just a short cab ride away, very easy to do. Then I assume a cab from the train station in Plymouth to the ferry terminal. Is there anything special to see/do in Plymouth itself?

There are a couple of trains each day at only £21.10 pp. Check the full days prices to see them. I've looked at Sep 3rd and saw these prices. Cannot see any further ahead yet. In fact the upgrade to first class on those lower prices services comes in at £42.20 pp.

I use Red Spotted Hanky sometimes too ...http://www.redspottedhanky.com/

Please be aware in the UK it is sometimes, not always, cheaper to buy single one way tickets than a return ..always check out both options

Thetrainline.com charges to use credit cards; eastmidlandstrains.co.uk does not.

You can't buy tickets more than 3 months ahead, but the cheapest tickets are not always immediately available, so I'd advise booking 10-11 weeks ahead.

Note that on some off peak trains, first class (more space, quieter, sometimes free tea/coffee etc) is little more expensive than standard class.

The last 50 miles of the line to Plymouth is wonderful!

Stuart

Possibly the most famous person connected with Plymouth was Sir Francis Drake, who was said to be playing bowls on Plymouth Hoe, before the Spanish Armada tried to invade our shores.

It is on the mouth if the Tamar river, so is the 'last' town in Devon before you cross into Cornwall.

Ancient & modern bridges stand side by side- Brunel's rail bridge, along side the newer Tamar suspension bridge( road)

I'm sure Google will give you much more information.

The last 50 miles of the line to Plymouth is wonderful!

Stuart

The section near Dawlish in newly renovated after the devastating winter storms.

Edited by upwarduk

I commute to London every day, and I use Trainline.com if I am doing a "special" journey to somewhere else and the earlier you book the cheaper it is.

Enjoy

Another way to save,

Once you have a date and route in mind consider buying multiple tickets which together cover the whole journey. The UK rail system is very crazy

I just tried one for your route London To Exeter + Exeter to Plymouth, staying on the same train.

£69.00 down to £54.80 saving £14.20

Easy way to find out...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-cheap-train-tickets/

The train company who run the London Paddington to Plymouth service are called First Great Western (FGW). Their website has timetables. If you book tickets through them, you can pick up your tickets from a machine at Paddington Station, making this an easy option if you are buying tickets from abroad.

If you book well in advance, consider 1st class, for sometimes just a little more, you get more room, an at seat trolley service with complimentary items, newspapers etc. Coach G is my favourite as it is the quiet coach.

Check weekend travel as often lines are being maintained then which can add to journey times or it can even mean a bus repel cement service for part of a journey.

Like someone else has mentioned, the journey from Exeter onwards is one of the best in the UK. The train line runs along the River Exe until it meets the sea, then you zoom along right next to the sea.

The train company who run the London Paddington to Plymouth service are called First Great Western (FGW). Their website has timetables. If you book tickets through them, you can pick up your tickets from a machine at Paddington Station, making this an easy option if you are buying tickets from abroad.

I believe that this is standard practice for all websites selling train tickets. Certainly is for all the ones I use.

One thing to be aware of, especially if ordering from overseas, you usually have to use the same credit/debit card you used for the ticket purchase to collect it from the machine. Therefore, if you have different cards for travel, make sure that you use that to purchase the ticket online.

The London-Plymouth route is a long slog! I did it many times in my 20s. Connections are not better.

All the train company web sites offer the same timetables and same provision to pick up tickets at the station, using the credit/debit card used for payment.

But some do charge for booking and/or use of credit card. Eastmidlandstrains.co.uk and crosscountrytrains.co.uk do not.

Stuart

Many thanks for all this great information. We would definitely want to do the train since we don't have them in this part of the country and it's quite a novelty. It would be a one-way journey since we would want to get the ferry in Plymouth over to France on our way to Rome for the TA. Since we can't even buy tickets for several months I have lots of time to explore the different options. We haven't even decided we want to do this, it was just a thought and I wanted to explore whether or not it was feasible. Sounds like it will work well!

Edited by Gangplanker

Lots of useful advice. As others have said First Great Western is the train operator for London to Plymouth/Penzance, Advance bookings usually open no earlier than 12 weeks in advance, sometimes less.

For ANY rail travel information in the world your best resource is http://www.seat61.com but be aware that the site can become addictive!!

Look at the pages for travel to Italy.

Happy travels.

Edited by harz99

Another way to save,

Once you have a date and route in mind consider buying multiple tickets which together cover the whole journey. The UK rail system is very crazy

I just tried one for your route London To Exeter + Exeter to Plymouth, staying on the same train.

£69.00 down to £54.80 saving £14.20

Easy way to find out...

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/split-cheap-train-tickets/

1 2nd the crazy comment I don't think I've ever paid the same price twice for a ticket to London! I had to comment on your post as you live about 4 miles from me ....small world

OP the train to Plymouth is very scenic , part of the line was washed away during last winter's storms , ( it's ok they've repaired lol )