Taxi Price to/from Nachi Cocum - What's the REAL Price?

cjdixon4

Hubby and I will be heading for Nachi Cocum once again on our Cozumel stop. It's been awhile since we've been there and I'm told that the taxi cost now each way is $16. I've also been told that the drivers will sometimes try to gouge you out of $20+ if the riders don't specifically speak up before they get in the cab. Anyone had experience with that?

The "Official" price for the zone from the International Pier is 220MXP for 1-4 people. 300 MXN for 5 people and 440MXN for 6-8 passengers.

Various to 'actual' rates in US $ depends on what is commonly being used as an exchange rate by the taxi drivers. Current exschange rates are around 17.34 MXN to US$1. So that would translate to under $13 for a 4 person taxi.

But taxi drivers don't follow bank exchange rates. Never the less, $22 is too high and $15 is probably too low. Be sure to confirm the US $ cost with the driver before getting into the taxi.

Hubby and I will be heading for Nachi Cocum once again on our Cozumel stop. It's been awhile since we've been there and I'm told that the taxi cost now each way is $16. I've also been told that the drivers will sometimes try to gouge you out of $20+ if the riders don't specifically speak up before they get in the cab. Anyone had experience with that?

From International Pier

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Taxiinternational?From=Transonczm

These are the official US$ rates. I agree you will get a better price in pesos but not worth the hassle of exchanging for a cruise ship day. We use pesos on land visits and sometimes have some left over.

Edited by c-leg5

The "Official" price for the zone from the International Pier is 220MXP for 1-4 people. 300 MXN for 5 people and 440MXN for 6-8 passengers.

Various to 'actual' rates in US $ depends on what is commonly being used as an exchange rate by the taxi drivers. Current exschange rates are around 17.34 MXN to US$1. So that would translate to under $13 for a 4 person taxi.

But taxi drivers don't follow bank exchange rates. Never the less, $22 is too high and $15 is probably too low. Be sure to confirm the US $ cost with the driver before getting into the taxi.

Crew, where do you get all the peso rates from? I have only ever seen them listed for downtown and Puerta Maya.

$16 or $17 was the fare on our last trip - I think I just gave the guy $20 each way for fare plus tip.

Maybe I am lucky but I have never had a taxi driver try to tell me the place I wanted to go to was "closed" and steer me to someplace where he gets a kickback, or cheat me on the fare. I cannot say the same thing about cab drivers in Philadelphia! :mad:

It never hurts to confirm the posted fare BEFORE you get into the cab. And understand that the fare covers up to 4 passengers - we have paired up with others from our ship or even asked in the cab line and found passengers to fill the cab and share the fare.