Question about the lead performer on a cruise?

TravelinGert

Ok, I'm not sure I ought to explain this but....how much would we have to miss out on over the course of our cruise in order to avoid having to listen to the voice of the main performer for the cruise? Please tell me they don't use it for stuff like announcements or boarding calls or whatever of that sort?

Why would you think that the Lead/Main Performer is responsible for making announcements of any kind during the cruise ? :confused:

The majority of announcements through out the cruise are made by the Cruise Director and occasionally the Captain . There might be some other individuals making announcements depending on the circumstance but none of these are never made by the Lead/Main Performer.

I'm confused. Do you mean the Cruise Director?

If so, it's impossible to avoid announcements given that they're played in most of the public areas. I don't really consider listening to them a big deal.

If you mean the CD, that will be difficult. If you mean the person who performs the lead role in the shows, that will not be too difficult. Generally that person will appear in two or three shows over a one week cruise. Just skip those shows. I have never heard that person making any of the periodic announcements.

Sorry - not sure I understand why it would matter in the first place if the "main performer" would be making any ship announcements - or why you would want try to avoid hearing that person. Maybe I am missing something in the translation here....:confused:

Only guessing, but might there be some history (bad) with the "lead performer"?

If by "main performer" you mean one of the lead singers in theater shows, they protect and rest their voices between shows and will not make announcements or do extra speaking engagements.

If you mean the "headliner" in one of the special theater shows, they are paid to do shows and only their assigned shows and do not get involved in daily ship activities including announcements.

If you mean the cruise director, you are out of luck because they and their assistants do indeed make most of the announcements. Also the captains will speak, but rarely, maybe once a day, and the art auction and tour shopping leaders make announcements too.

In forty cruises, we have experienced only one cruise director whose high-pitched voice was so grating that it became a constant irritation.

The cruise director normally goes on the speaker system to make necessary announcement and some that many of us find wholely unnecessary.

Necessary announcements include such things when the ship arrives in port, (s)he will announce when the ship has cleared and guests are permitted to go ashore. Other necessary announcements are such things as what time all aboard, reminder to bring ID ashore and any specifics about a particular port, ie it is illegal to wear/carry anything of camoflage design. If not told, many guests could be caught unaware and face fine or worse. There is no way to avoid these announcements on most ships.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I was unclear. Since I haven't been on a cruise, I was not sure what to call this person. The commercial for the ship I tried to watch calls her the "Godmother" and she does all the talking in it. I didn't suspect they'd have her do important announcements on the ship. I just thought since they hired her to do the commercial and perform on the ship, they might hire her to do perhaps a canned welcome message or canned announcements of that sort I'd be forced to hear on the cruise.

I really have no wish to be rude here. It is perfectly possible the problem is all me. Just attempted to watch the commercial for the Quantum where she talks about being selected as the cruise ship's godmother. Her voice just grates me in a way I have never experienced. I'm thinking perhaps it is something about how her voice was recorded combined with the fact I've had a couple of ear infections. According to my doctor, I've had some mild hearing loss in certain upper registers. I'm thinking no one has ever caused this incredible cringing reaction before because she just happens to be the rare one to have hit near the problem registers with her normal speaking voice. I am hopeful as long as I don't have to hear her recorded voice everything will be fine.

Edit to add: Sorry, I said we as this cruise is planned as a treat for my hubby and I to enjoy for our anniversary. I expect to enjoy most of it together.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I was unclear. Since I haven't been on a cruise, I was not sure what to call this person. The commercial for the ship I tried to watch calls her the "Godmother" and she does all the talking in it. I didn't suspect they'd have her do important announcements on the ship. I just thought since they hired her to do the commercial and perform on the ship, they might hire her to do perhaps a canned welcome message or canned announcements of that sort I'd be forced to hear on the cruise.

I really have no wish to be rude here. It is perfectly possible the problem is all me. Just attempted to watch the commercial for the Quantum where she talks about being selected as the cruise ship's godmother. Her voice just grates me in a way I have never experienced. I'm thinking perhaps it is something about how her voice was recorded combined with the fact I've had a couple of ear infections. According to my doctor, I've had some mild hearing loss in certain upper registers. I'm thinking no one has ever caused this incredible cringing reaction before because she just happens to be the rare one to have hit near the problem registers with her normal speaking voice. I am hopeful as long as I don't have to hear her recorded voice everything will be fine.

Edit to add: Sorry, I said we as this cruise is planned as a treat for my hubby and I to enjoy for our anniversary. I expect to enjoy most of it together.

Normally, the godmother is not on any sailings of a ship and does not make any announcements either taped or live. I can't remember ever hearing the godmother's voice while on the ship

The Godmother is the person who smacks the bottle of champagne against the ship, officially names the ship, and gives it a blessing for "fair winds and following seas to all who sail on her", etc. Sometimes the Godmother will make the inaugural voyage, sometimes not. After that, you will only see photos of her and the "naming ceremony" ( I am told that "christening" is no longer politically correct), but will never hear from her again. Enjoy your cruise.

No need to worry once Godmothers do their schtick they're done...although the Breakaway had the Rockettes as godmothers and there were supposed to be a couple of them on a few sailings.

Have a good time on your cruise! Just turn the speaker off in your cabin and you should be able to not hear the unimportant stuff.

Guest fyree39
The godmother for the middle Royal Princess was Lorraine Artz. She is a Princess passenger who lived most of the year on the Royal Princess.

I googled her and found this:

She seems very, very nice!

I googled her and found this:

She seems very, very nice!

Unfortunately, she reached the point where the ship could not provide all the support she needed. A year or two ago, her son came and moved her off the ship to assisted living.

Kristin Chenoweth is the godmother of Quantum of the Seas. She has been in a number of TV shows, movies and theater. Her voice is a little different. You don't have to worry about hearing her onboard. I always have to look up the godmother of a ship I am on or I would never know.

The latest Godmother of the Royal Princess vessel is Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge. And Diana, Princess of Wales, was Godmother to the first Royal Princess vessel (correct me if I am wrong).

I am now curious as to who is the Godmother of Celebrity Solstice. I am cruising on her in November throughout Ausssie and New Zealand. And just Googled the info .....

Professor Sharon Smith is the first-ever scientist to serve as Godmother of a cruise ship. A biological oceanographer, Dr. Smith has traveled the world in research expeditions from Polar Regions to the Arabian Sea. She has devoted her career to studying the bottom level of the ocean's food chain--the zooplankton.

Dr. Smith currently serves as the Dean of the Undergraduate Program in Marine Science, and also co-directs the University of Miami's Oceans and Human Health Center.

The Godmother of the Celebrity Solstice also shares a personal connection with those who have fought cancer. She overcame breast cancer in 1993 and uterine cancer in 1996.

It would appear that Godmothers come from many and varied walks of life !

Archived