Samana Whale Watching January 31, 2013

HappyMom22

I hope someone can help me with this question. Is there anywhere on Samana to watch the whales from the shore? We do not wish to take a boat excursion as we have a small child and an elderly person traveling with us. Would much prefer to take a taxi somewhere to just sit on the beach and watch the whales ~ if this is possible. There is an excursion to a resort to watch them, however, you have to be 21 or older ~ not going to work for us with a small child (3). Any help is much appreciated.

I've been to Samana twice, and I doubt you can find any place on shore and actually see the whales. They are huge animals, and need the deep water, which is some distance out in the strait. As well, this is the season the cows are calving, and like any mothers, they are probably too protective of their babies to bring them near shore.

In my experience, the water is quite rough out in the strait. Probably not an enjoyable time for small children or elderly people.

Even though this is my 1st trip to Samana, I see on RCCL excursions there is a whale watching trip to a resort the cost is $84.00. hope this helps. Maybe we will bump into each other I will be on same cruise.

Can't do this excursion ~ have to be 21 and we have a 3 year old with us..... I don't understand why you have to be 21 but.............

The other 2 whale watching excursions minimum age is 2 yrs old.

They are in boats ~ we wanted to stay on land and watch them. We have an elderly woman with us with very bad legs, my DD broke her back not too long ago, my DH has back problems, etc.... So better to see them by land than to try to stay stable on a small boat in the choppy Bay waters. I was told by one tour guides in Samana that the waters where the whales are at gets very rough ~ so we cannot take the chance with the disabilities we have in our group. But thanks for the suggestion.

Archived