Malta on Sunday

We will be stopping in Malta on a Sunday. I know St John's Co Cathedral is closed on Sundays but we will be attending Mass there. Hoping to make the 9:15 Mass and then spend the day doing an excursion. Is the Cathedral near the port that we could get to Mass easily and maybe even go back and change after Mass. Does anyone know what else is open and closed on Sundays? We won't be there until next July so only in the beginning stages of planning but I don't want to get excited about an excursion we can't do.

Malta is based for tourism and you'll find most cultural attractions will be open. Shopping might be a bit spotty, however you will also find places to eat and of course the cafes will be busy. I don't know about the mass but I don't think the harbour is really too far from the center of Valetta.

Regarding the distance from the Cathedral to where your ship docks, by my recollection it took us about 20 minutes or so to walk the distance one way. It isn't far, but the city sits quite a ways up on a peninsula that you must navigate your way down. We took steps down and we took our time. Going up would be slower if walking. However, there is apparently an elevator that you can use, but I don't know the exact location for the elevator entry spots to know if it is convenient to near the Cathedral. Do some research about this elevator (there have been post on cruise critic about it, so a search might find it). You might also be able to use a taxi for one or both legs of the jaunt, if so inclined.

I've been to Malta twice -- both times on Sundays! Of all the luck...

As already said, most sites WILL be open including the small but nice Archaeology Museum and of course the Grand Masters' Palace.

There is an excellent and well-known pastry shop, Caffe Cordina, very close to the Co-Cathedral. It has lovely outdoor seating if you want to have a coffee and pastry or you can "take away" by ordering at the counter. It was a delicious break: http://www.caffecordina.com/

We were in Malta a couple of years ago also on a Sunday. I can't tell you how long the walk is from the pier to St. John's Co-Cathedral, but I can tell you how long it took us to get from the Cathedral to the pier. It was approximately

a 15-20 minute walk with DW using a walking boot and taking the elevator/lift at the Barrakka Gardens down to the pier level. St. John's Cathedral is amazing and we also attended mass there. Don't forget to go on deck of your ship when you enter the harbor. It's a truly impressive sight to see. Enjoy your trip!

I've been to Malta twice -- both times on Sundays! Of all the luck...

As already said, most sites WILL be open including the small but nice Archaeology Museum and of course the Grand Masters' Palace.

There is an excellent and well-known pastry shop, Caffe Cordina, very close to the Co-Cathedral. It has lovely outdoor seating if you want to have a coffee and pastry or you can "take away" by ordering at the counter. It was a delicious break: http://www.caffecordina.com/

We have been four times and its been a Sunday every time, what are the odds?????

• 3 weeks later...
hello I am from Malta the distance from port to St john's co cathedral is short, as others said just walk to the lift, and you be in the barakka gardens really nice views of the port from there.. in Valletta there is a lot to do and a lot of interesting places to see

hello,

we are visiting Malta in our upcoming cruise. We are not really interested in tours, do you think we should just stick to Valletta for the day or should we try and add Mdina or the 3 cities? We have 8 hours in port.

many thanks