Is Holland America ever coming back to NYC?

Kosi

Never say "Never", but don't hold your breath waiting, either.

With the cost of doing business at the NYC piers, it is rare that there are cruises to/from that port. Last time I checked, there were still a few 10-day fall cruises to New England/Canada offered with NYC a beginning or ending port.

The sail out of NYC has to be one of the most spectacular I have ever done. The sail back in isn't bad, either.

Never say "Never", but don't hold your breath waiting, either...The sail out of NYC has to be one of the most spectacular I have ever done. The sail back in isn't bad, either.

I've always wanted to see the sail-in, with the Statue of Liberty all lit up in the dark, but can never wake up in time. Maybe someday. Maybe even on the Maasdam repo from Montreal to New York in October, if pricing comes down to a reasonable level. We'll see.

They do sail out of NY a few times a year to QC and then on the way down to FLL after that season.

Was going to point out the same thing... and when you don't want to fly a 3.5 hour drive (per Google maps and yes I know it can vary depending on time of day) to get to the next closest spot if they don't offer precisely what you want in your own backyard is a pretty fair compromise.

Here in the Pacific Northwest it's a 20 hour drive to do anything but Alaska... You have options of ports (some with HAL and some with other companies) all up and down the East Coast. A few hour drive is something I would happily do if given the option

Many of us West Coasters always lament the 2nd class treatment we get from HAL not wanting to do anything out here unless it's Alaska from SEA and VAN.

The Mexican Rivera out of San Diego has been greatly diminished and the West Cost Repo's don't even offer SF as a embarkation/disembarkation port.

NCL is staking claim to NYC and other's sail out of NJ, I guess HAL just thinks markets like NYC, LA and SF Bay Area are not for them. In spite of the market size of these areas.

-Paul

I've always wanted to see the sail-in, with the Statue of Liberty all lit up in the dark, but can never wake up in time.

Back in August '03 the Rotterdam sailed out on a balmy Friday night (Saturday morning by then) at 1:00 AM. There weren't a lot of us out on deck for the sail, but it might have been the best ever. We could see---and hear!---all the traffic, and almost feel the electricity of a city that's so alive. The buildings were all lit up, then we came to the Statue of Liberty. She was bathed in floodlights, and looked as I had never seen her before.

It was a very special sailing.

In September '01 I happened to have an outside cabin, woke up, and looked out to see the World Trade Towers just as we passed them upon returning to NYC. It was dark, and they had lights on inside, making them glow brilliantly. Who would have ever thought that four days later they would be gone.

Many of us West Coasters always lament the 2nd class treatment we get from HAL not wanting to do anything out here unless it's Alaska from SEA and VAN.

The Mexican Rivera out of San Diego has been greatly diminished and the West Cost Repo's don't even offer SF as a embarkation/disembarkation port.

NCL is staking claim to NYC and other's sail out of NJ, I guess HAL just thinks markets like NYC, LA and SF Bay Area are not for them. In spite of the market size of these areas.

-Paul

You make some valid points, wait till 2016 and I think stand alone Mexico cruises will be completly out for Hal but that is another story.

I wouldn't hold my breath that Hal will be making any cruise out of NY.

Back in August '03 the Rotterdam sailed out on a balmy Friday night (Saturday morning by then) at 1:00 AM. There weren't a lot of us out on deck for the sail, but it might have been the best ever. We could see---and hear!---all the traffic, and almost feel the electricity of a city that's so alive. The buildings were all lit up, then we came to the Statue of Liberty. She was bathed in floodlights, and looked as I had never seen her before.

In September '01 I happened to have an outside cabin, woke up, and looked out to see the World Trade Towers just as we passed them upon returning to NYC. It was dark, and they had lights on inside, making them glow brilliantly. Who would have ever thought that four days later they would be gone.

These goosebumps and spine chills courtesy of RuthC... Wow... Incredible story. Thanks for sharing.

To me it is somewhat odd that the "premium" mass market lines such as HAL, Princess, and Celebrity have all greatly reduced their sailings from New York in recent years, while NCL, Carnival, and RCI have continually added more new tonnage and many different itineraries.

I am booked on QUEEN MARY 2 for a 13 night Caribbean sailing out of NY in November, the first such Cunard itinerary other than their annual Xmas cruise in 5 years!

It gave me the chills to read that last part Ruth. That really was a profound perspective.

Lorie

I love this cruise line..and have flown 3 times to be on HAL, and I hate flying... but I loved sailing out of NYC on it.. I don't want to drive to Boston though..

Amtrak Acela is faster than flying NYC to Boston. We flew many times to NYC and decided once to try Acela. We went first class and would do it again for sure. Few stops, they dealt with our luggage, served breakfast, drinks, was a 'quiet car' with no cell phones allowed. Very comfortable.

I do not think HAL will sail NYC to the Caribbean round trip as they did in Noordam's first years. Had it been successful, it is likely they would have continued. I think the fuel consumption was very high, sometimes a race to keep to schedule depending upon weather coming up/going down the coast and the bargain fares they had to offer didn't leave lots of room for profit.....

If I recall correctly.