Traveling solo late 30's guy

JustinAjax

I've always enjoyed traveling solo and this year for Christmas I was thinking of taking a river cruise (looking at Luftner). The per diem doesn't look like it can be beat, versus checking into a nice hotel, meals, renting a car, etc. I've also thought of taking a transatlantic cruise but seeing different cities in Germany and/or Austria really appeals to me. I've never been on a river cruise and was wondering, as a late 30's single guy am I going to stick out like a sore thumb?

If you don't mind traveling solo, and if enjoying the travel experience itself is your main motivator, I also encourage you to try out a river cruise.

I've always traveled alone, and the travel experience itself is my main motivator, so I always have a great time, both researching the places I'll visit and enjoying the actual experience.

You will always meet very nice people when you travel, and a river cruise is far more intimate than an ocean cruise (around 150 passengers in a river boat), so you will get to know some of these people really well. I've always found people whose company I enjoy during my travels.

Having said that, the demographics of a river cruise weighs toward the older crowd. I'm 67 now, but I've been traveling solo since I turned 30 and I've never regretted it. So, as a late-30s solo traveler, you will probably stand out a bit, but I wouldn't let that bother me (it never bothered me). It all depends on your personality and your priorities.

A transatlantic cruise is wonderful, and you will definitely NOT stand out. You will be one among a couple of thousand passengers, many of them traveling solo. These cruises also tend to attract older passengers, as contrasted with your typical Caribbean cruise.

TAs are a great value ($), and if you're like me, I enjoy the mix of visiting a few ports for sightseeing and a few quiet "sea days" to enjoy the ship and to do whatever I want. River cruises, in contrast, are fairly intensive sightseeing trips, with very few "quiet" moments... Every day you will be in a different town. Christmas markets are great.

Sergio

Do you really think that people pay/will pay that much attention to you? Just curious.

They definitely will: especially single women in late 50's - early 60's group. On our last river cruise we had a single 40 years old guy and he had a great success :)

JustinAjax,

First, welcome to CCritic! Secondly, don't worry too much about what others think. Go, enjoy, do your own thing.

River cruising is a great way to see small towns and villages. Often the ship pulls right into the historic center and it is a short walk to seeing wonderful things (and eating, drinking, shopping, and taking photos.....well, you get the idea!)

They definitely will: especially single women in late 50's - early 60's group. On our last river cruise we had a single 40 years old guy and he had a great success :)

Well, then this cruise will come with a perk for the OP.

There was a similar post here, on river cruising. A woman in her 60-ies asked about travelling solo. She asked if she'd manage and if it was safe. Standing out like a soar thumb did not occur to her.

JustinAjax,

First, welcome to CCritic! Secondly, don't worry too much about what others think. Go, enjoy, do your own thing.

River cruising is a great way to see small towns and villages. Often the ship pulls right into the historic center and it is a short walk to seeing wonderful things (and eating, drinking, shopping, and taking photos.....well, you get the idea!)

Don't worry, little tyke, mummy's here. :) :D

Archived