Antarctica and Children

It's not unusual at all. The 'better' expedition companies offer 'family departures', where children are encouraged and assigned special staff to get them interested and occupied with what they are seeing.

Here is a link to Lindblad's family oriented expeditions: http://au.expeditions.com/destinations/antarctica/families/

Checking the websites of other lines will also find family oriented departure dates.

Friends of mine want to take their children (8, 10 and 12) to Antarctica and are looking at various alternatives.

For those of you who have sailed to Antarctica, where there children on board?

Thanks!

We traveled with Lindblad to Antarctica over Christmas and was quite surprised to see how many families were on board. When I asked one of the expedition staff about the number of families he said that although they get families on board the number on this tip was unusually high. He assumed that it was due to the trip being over the Christmas break.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently traveled with Lindblad on the Explorer to Antarctica. There were two young (8 and 10) children onboard. The staff and crew are definitely accommodating to the children ( who were very well behaved), but it seemed like there were many times that they were bored and quite frankly, needed to run around! Antarctica is a wondrous place, but when setting foot on land, it is very important to follow the guidelines i.e. no touching of the animals, stay in the designated areas (meaning 15 feet away from the animals), follow safety rules while on board and especially when riding in the zodiacs. And it is worth mentioning that one of the children was VERY seasick on the days that we were crossing the Drake Passage- he did not leave the cabin for about 24 hours. But then again, there were many adults who did the same. We had many families traveling with high school or college age children, mainly families from Australia as it is summer break for them. It really is an amazing trip, and is also amazingly expensive, so I might wait until my children were older to experience Antarctica with them.

I recently traveled with Lindblad on the Explorer to Antarctica. There were two young (8 and 10) children onboard. The staff and crew are definitely accommodating to the children ( who were very well behaved), but it seemed like there were many times that they were bored and quite frankly, needed to run around! Antarctica is a wondrous place, but when setting foot on land, it is very important to follow the guidelines i.e. no touching of the animals, stay in the designated areas (meaning 15 feet away from the animals), follow safety rules while on board and especially when riding in the zodiacs. And it is worth mentioning that one of the children was VERY seasick on the days that we were crossing the Drake Passage- he did not leave the cabin for about 24 hours. But then again, there were many adults who did the same. We had many families traveling with high school or college age children, mainly families from Australia as it is summer break for them. It really is an amazing trip, and is also amazingly expensive, so I might wait until my children were older to experience Antarctica with them.

Like until they are old enough to pay their own way? :D