CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Hi all! Cruising out of Cape Liberty and thinking about transportation. I used miles for our flights, and my only option was LGA. I'm finding that Lyft/Uber are probably the cheapest. Any other thoughts/suggestions? Are there shuttles to Cape Liberty?

No shuttles to Cape Liberty. What time does your flight arrive? It sounds like you're flying in on the day of the cruise. If so, a prebooked car service might be your best choice. What are you seeing as the Uber/Lyft cost including tolls?

Don't forget that Anthem usually sails at 4 pm, which means you have to check in by 2:30. If your timing is close, you might want to be sure you have reliable pre booked transportation with a driver who actually knows how to get to Cape Liberty from New York City.

No shuttles to Cape Liberty. What time does your flight arrive? It sounds like you're flying in on the day of the cruise. If so, a prebooked car service might be your best choice. What are you seeing as the Uber/Lyft cost including tolls?

Don't forget that Anthem usually sails at 4 pm, which means you have to check in by 2:30. If your timing is close, you might want to be sure you have reliable pre booked transportation with a driver who actually knows how to get to Cape Liberty from New York City.

Thanks for the reply! I land at 9:30, which gives me time for the inevitable LGA delays. ;) I found Lyft estimate at $90 (seems cheap) and Uber at $114. I found a GroundLink car at $122, which seems like my best bet since it's pre-booked.

Yes, I'm flying in on the day of the cruise. Since i used Miles, I can change at no cost and fly in a day earlier as well, so I'm thinking maybe I should just to be on the safe side.

Such a silly question, but......would like to know how many bags a taxi can take in their trunks? Normal large ones. And if not possible to fit our bags in the trunk, can 1 out of the three of us sit up front? Don't know if they have "rules" about this. We will be docking on Sept 23 and will need to get to LGA by 10ish for a noon flight. We will have priority disembarkation so that should help getting there in time. I hope [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi! I'm sorry if this question is already answered multiple times, I tried to look through some pages but the treats are so long! So we are departing from Cape Liberty (2nd of December, Anthem) and we are arriving the previous day to JFK. We are trying to decide which would be a) reasonably priced and b) convenient option for us to make our way to Cape Liberty. What would you guys recommend? As your plane lands about 3:30 pm the previous day, we would have time on friday to make our way a bit closer to the port and stay overnight there and then on saturday take maybe a taxi to the port? What would be the best route for us? Is there some place were to we could take a cheaper shuttle or should we just straight away take Uber etc to a hotel close to the port? Thank you for your time!

Hi! I'm sorry if this question is already answered multiple times, I tried to look through some pages but the treats are so long! So we are departing from Cape Liberty (2nd of December, Anthem) and we are arriving the previous day to JFK. We are trying to decide which would be a) reasonably priced and b) convenient option for us to make our way to Cape Liberty. What would you guys recommend? As your plane lands about 3:30 pm the previous day, we would have time on friday to make our way a bit closer to the port and stay overnight there and then on saturday take maybe a taxi to the port? What would be the best route for us? Is there some place were to we could take a cheaper shuttle or should we just straight away take Uber etc to a hotel close to the port? Thank you for your time!

Welcome from Finland!

Please answer a few questions so we can give you the best advice.

1). What is your hotel budget? 2 people?

2). You do NOT want to sightsee in NYC?

3). Is accessible public transit with luggage an option?

4). You will have cell phone service and access to

Uber?

My initial thoughts are that from JFK you should take the Airtrain and Long Island Railroad (LIRR) to New York Penn Station and transfer to the NJ Transit train to Newark. Book the Newark Penn Station Hilton for $139 plus tax (Hilton honors, AAA, and senior discounts available)(connected to the train station by a skywalk). The next morning you can Uber to the port. Further details can be provided.

You're arriving at the start of rush hour on a Friday night. IMO train is the most efficient way to do this trip because it also accommodates a bad weather situation. However, if public transit doesn't suit, we can come up with other strategies.

Welcome from Finland!

Please answer a few questions so we can give you the best advice.

1). What is your hotel budget? 2 people?

2). You do NOT want to sightsee in NYC?

3). Is accessible public transit with luggage an option?

4). You will have cell phone service and access to

Uber?

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

1) Budget, well no spesific one. No need for extra costly hotel as it's just for staying over night.

2) No need for sightseeing as we are staying in NYC after the cruise for 4 nights.

3) Yep, totally an option. We are quite frequent travellers and we normally use puplic transport even with luggages.

4) Good point. I have cell phone service but I would need wifi for internet usage.

Thanks already for the advices, I got some ideas from it already!

Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

1) Budget, well no spesific one. No need for extra costly hotel as it's just for staying over night.

2) No need for sightseeing as we are staying in NYC after the cruise for 4 nights.

3) Yep, totally an option. We are quite frequent travellers and we normally use puplic transport even with luggages.

4) Good point. I have cell phone service but I would need wifi for internet usage.

Thanks already for the advices, I got some ideas from it already!

Exactly where are you staying in NYC after the cruise? Local shuttle/Public transit back to NYC could be an option.

Let's get you some more specific information about getting from JFK to Newark. Here's the Airtrain info - https://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

Subway is a slightly cheaper option, but more time consuming with many stops. Both have stops at New York Penn Station.

If you take the LIRR, you come in on the 7th Ave side of NY Penn Station. You have to walk to the 8th Ave side to get NJ Transit trains. There are about 3 trains per hour stopping at Newark Penn Station. These appear to be clustered during the first 15 minutes. http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TrainTo

If you decide to stay at the Hilton, join the Hilton Honors program to get a reduced rate and free wifi. The HH rate is $132, which is a very good price with a 2 day cancellation option. The Hilton web site is also showing a HH base price of $116 + tax prepaid non cancellable.

In general we don't ever recommend staying at JFK hotels.

Advice for travelling from JFK to Hotel in Times Square and then from Hotel to Cape Liberty. After cruise to centre New York and luggage store before flight back to JFK

Looking for advice after reading lots on here and looking on various webpages can anyone advise my best options.

My husband and I are flying to JFK New York (our first time) on Thursday 22nd Feb 2018 landing at 13.15pm from UK.

So after a long flight wondering whether best option is to book in advance online for private car such as Dial 7 or any other recommendations welcome to our hotel the Hilton Garden In Tiimes Sq 790 8th Avenue.

Then on Sunday 25th Feb. we have to get from the Hotel to Cape Liberty to meet ship RC Anthem for a cruise.

I can see that the Port Authority Bus Terminal 625 8th Avenue is a short walk from the hotel. Would my best option be to walk to Port Authority Bus Terminal and get a bus as have suitcases I think I saw 119 bus goes to Bayonne and then call a local taxi to get into the port to the ship?

Then on 9th March the ship docks at 6am and we will probably be off the ship by 8.30am. Our Flight from JFK is not until 17.55 so we thought we could store luggage and have about 5 hours sightseeing. Read about Schwartztravel.com ?

Anyone used or advise on them and/or any other luggage store. I was wondering if I should get same bus back to Times Square and store luggage and spend a few hours until have to then get to JFK for flight home. Any advice on getting back from here to JFK.

So much to research for New York, Cruise I have spent lots of time in front of the computer so any advice or pointers on my ideas would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get organised in plenty of time.

Thanks

Kerry

Advice for travelling from JFK to Hotel in Times Square and then from Hotel to Cape Liberty. After cruise to centre New York and luggage store before flight back to JFK

Looking for advice after reading lots on here and looking on various webpages can anyone advise my best options.

My husband and I are flying to JFK New York (our first time) on Thursday 22nd Feb 2018 landing at 13.15pm from UK.

So after a long flight wondering whether best option is to book in advance online for private car such as Dial 7 or any other recommendations welcome to our hotel the Hilton Garden In Tiimes Sq 790 8th Avenue. I defer to the New Yorkers about this. Cab fares are fixed from JFK to Manhattan - I think the base rate is $55 plus tolls plus expected 18-20% tip. Tolls can range from $0-8.50. Airport bus is also an option - $34/pp round trip. https://www.nycairporter.com/. This leaves you close to your hotel at Port Authority Bus terminal. Train to NY Penn Station is also an option. Both are similar prices, but train is not subject to traffic congestion.

Then on Sunday 25th Feb. we have to get from the Hotel to Cape Liberty to meet ship RC Anthem for a cruise.

I can see that the Port Authority Bus Terminal 625 8th Avenue is a short walk from the hotel. Would my best option be to walk to Port Authority Bus Terminal and get a bus as have suitcases I think I saw 119 bus goes to Bayonne and then call a local taxi to get into the port to the ship? Bus 119 does not run on a Sunday. Folks have not been using the bus to Bayonne. See below for instructions.

Then on 9th March the ship docks at 6am and we will probably be off the ship by 8.30am. Our Flight from JFK is not until 17.55 so we thought we could store luggage and have about 5 hours sightseeing. Read about Schwartztravel.com ?

Anyone used or advise on them and/or any other luggage store. I was wondering if I should get same bus back to Times Square and store luggage and spend a few hours until have to then get to JFK for flight home. Any advice on getting back from here to JFK. Schwartz Travel is recommended. It is between Port Authority and NY Penn Station, so a good choice for either train or bus.

So much to research for New York, Cruise I have spent lots of time in front of the computer so any advice or pointers on my ideas would be greatly appreciated. Trying to get organised in plenty of time.

Thanks

Kerry

From your hotel the easiest way on accessible public transit to Cape Liberty is cab, PATH, Hudson-Bergen light rail, and local cab. NYC subway, PATH, light rail, and cab is also an option.

Option 1

1). Take a cab from your hotel to 32nd and 6th. The PATH Entrance elevator is on the west side of 6th Ave between 32nd and 33rd. $10-15

2). Take PATH to Hoboken. (Check out the historic train station and the view of New York). $2.75/pp

3). Take the light rail to Bayonne 34th Street. $2.25/pp

4). Call a cab to go into the port. $10-12

Option 2

1). Take the E train from 50th & 8th to the World Trade Center. There is supposed to be an accessible entrance Southbound. $2.75/pp

2). Follow the signs to PATH to NJ. This can be a bit if a walk underground. Take PATH one stop to Exchange Place. $2.75/pp.

3). Walk diagonally across the small plaza to the street level light rail station and take the 8th Street Bayonne train to Bayonne 34th Street. $2.25/pp.

4). Call a cab to go into the port. $10-12

I have done this several times with luggage to get to Cape Liberty. The PATH/light rail piece of it is totally accessible and on a Sunday the trains will be empty. On a Friday the trains will be busier, but probably just fine after 8:30 am.

The worst part of the trip will probably getting a cab to pick you up at the Bayonne light rail station. Plan to get there between 10 and 10:30 am.

http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/subwaymap.pdf

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

https://www.panynj.gov/path/maps-schedules.html

... on 9th March the ship docks at 6am and we will probably be off the ship by 8.30am. Our Flight from JFK is not until 17.55 so we thought we could store luggage and have about 5 hours sightseeing. Read about Schwartztravel.com ?

Any advice on getting back from here to JFK ...

For homebound flight to UK, please check with folks at Flyertalk forum as you get closer to your sailing on latest airport security & screening status ... as it is changing & modified on a frequent & random basis.

As a general rule, major int'l airports like JFK and LHR are busy, very busy in the late afternoon & evening for oversea arrivals & departure. Expect & plan for extra time to get screened, processed, checked-in and reaching your gate ... plus allow time for meals while still on the ground, a brown bag sandwich & salad is often nicer than airline's catered boxed/reheated food at FL 290's. TSA now checking for all laptops, tablets & electronics are causing extra long lines and delays at the airports ... plan to be at your JFK terminal by 3 PM or 3:30 PM, 4 PM could be too close, especially if there are multiple wide bodies sharing the same airline terminal (although, Saturday is typically a slower day)

Travel time from midtown Manhattan (Schwartz luggage is fine) should be 90 minutes to 2 hours for a typical Saturday afternoon, depending on mode of transport. Thus, working backward, weather permitting (it's early March & we've been known to get surprised by snow) you should be done sightseeing & ready to go by 1 to 2 PM, and absolutely no later than 2:30 PM (use minimum time of 90 min. to JFK and 2 hours for int'l flight check-in/security screening)

Getting to JFK:

Taxi to JFK, good for 2 to 3 pax with reasonable luggage (possibly more riders & bags if you can hail a larger taxi-van ... same rates/charges) is - on a flat rate - about $53 USD + $8.50 for cash toll + tipping (15% to 20%) coming to about $70 to $73 in total ...

Carmel & Dial 7, 2 of the largest car service in the metro NY area, will charge about the same - for competitive reasons, to/from JFK only. If you have access to cellular services and/or data for WiFi calling on your UK plan, you can easily book a car 30 minutes prior or even on the spot, as they usually can have a car/driver ready in less than 10 minutes (just like Uber/Lyft) using their free mobile app (we get airline miles with Carmel)

Since you mentioned trains, bus & subways - that's clue that you pack/travel light and can use public/mass transit: LIRR trains will be running on a lighter Saturday schedule, take it using off-peak fares out to Jamaica terminal from NY Penn Station, where you connect to JFK's elevated AirTrain - direct to your airline's terminal. Sometimes, this is faster than being driven by taxi or car services, 90 minutes should suffice.

MTA's underground subway - the "E" train running along 8th Avenue (catch it at the W. 34th Street station) run express in Queens to Jamaica, with limited stops - connecting to the AirTrain. This a little slower than LIRR's commuter train but is perfectly fine - off duty flight crews do it all the time. This would take about 90 minutes as well, with more frequent subway services on that line.

More details about "how-to" & fares and ETA for travel for both subways & LIRR, from the "source" here - http://web.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

All of the NYC subway stations now has free WiFi inside, on the platform and there are free WiFi hotspots all over Manhattan, making it easier & visitor-friendly to access travel info & lookup maps, etc.

b7d07873fbcb2b2d388fe40edc5617b7.jpg

074c061a7628dc1b484b0fb930d170ed.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Mking8288 - the OP returns to Cape Liberty on Friday, March 9, 2918 and flies out that night. Does that affect your advice about the return trip to JFK?
Oops, good catch. I missed that it's Friday evening. I would go w. LIRR or E subway, use the free MTA mobile link/app to check for last minute alert by lunch time. F subway runs on local track as backup. It will beat going by taxi or car service. Mobile browser friendly - http://web.mta.info/mta/eles.html

LIE Rt.495 and Van Wyck Rt.678 will be jammed by 3 PM. Going across midtown on a weekday is always a challenge - if I were to go by car, would definitely set 2 hours to reach JFK.

BTW - LIRR's summer of hell work at NY Penn Station is said to be on time & things should be back to normal in about 10 days, after Labor Day as planned ... knock on wood, fingers & legs crossed. Hopefully, we will hear fewer signals and switching problems, with Amtrak & NJT, MTA and LIRR.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

Thank you both for the detailed information and advice. Alot to take in and look at. Great knowledge and much appreciated.

Can I ask as we will have 2 suitcases and 2 pieces of cabin sized luggage to take on public transport my husband wonders if it would be better to book private transport from the hotel to take us to Cape Liberty and into the port on Sunday 25th Feb. Do you know how much this may cost and would it be someone like dial 7 who you would book with,would they be able to take you into the port ? or any other recommendations.

Same coming from the Port on Friday 9th March is it an option to book in advance or call company as Dial 7 to take us back to New York to store luggage. Would this be an option and how much would it cost ?

Taking in everything you have said and how busy it will be on a Friday and how long it will take if we took public transport quickest and easiest route will be to take a car with Dial 7 or cartmel to JFK to catch our flight home. I was planning of getting to the airport by 2pm.

Many Thanks

Kerry

Kerry T - Q ?? 1 checked suitcase each + 1 cabin bag for a total of 2 suitcases/rollerboards + 2 bags? Do you stack cabin bag on top of rollerboard (or spinner ?) to pull them around? If true, public transport is fine - between NYC & JFK, you are traveling off-peak hours ... lots of travelers do it all the time to/from LGA & JFK (on subways, buses & trains) ... true for EWR but we hardly fly out of there.

Both Carmel & Dial 7 have free mobile apps or you can just call them on mobile/cellular to book & request pickup - they have their own garage/park & hold/waiting lot near the airports, not sure about CL (138 & others frequent cruisers can speak to that, hopefully and also if RCL's ships are typically early/on-time for sailings (it seemed true.)

Going across state lines between NY and NJ, you do not want to use taxi as they are allowed to and charge a higher rates, basically for the car/driver to return "empty" without a fare ... thus use Carmel or Dial 7. Uber drivers might not be familiar with getting to/from CL and you are on the clock, don't take chances unnecessary .... Fares to CL from NY should be about $75 with tolls & tips and the return to NY from port higher by $15 due to $15 toll for the tunnel crossing (I do not know for sure if they will charge you for that one-way toll going to the port.)

Disembark & car service pickup at CL back to Manhattan, you might want to pre-book car service with an estimated pickup them and ask them to note the booking/reservation that you will call when ready for pickup ... so that dispatcher on computerized system will have a car/driver on "hold" in their system.

Both car services' online site has fare calculator & it's very accurate - use it to input your hotel info (there's a quick dropdown list to select) and to/from port - to come up with your options & prices (add toll & tipping). Schwartz luggage AND Cape Liberty are both (via the scroll/dropdown list under "Hotels") quick selection to price your fare, as it could varied slightly - Dial7 has rush hour surcharges.

It sounded like you rather get to JFK early than to play the just-in-time game, being there at 2 PM is probably a little too early & if you don't get to dropoff the bags at Schwartz until 9:45 or 10 AM, it's only to get you about 2 hours of ultra-fast sightseeing in the midtown area before going back to get your bags ... and then to start the JFK airport run by 12:15 or 12:30 PM (that's allowing for 1:45 or 2 hours worth of travel time ... in case of heavy highway traffic). *** Personally, I would probably leave at 1:30 PM and get there at 3:15 to 3:30 with about 2.5 hours to do security, check-in & luggage drop, go air-side & relax, grab a meal-to-go (assumed that you have no airline club/lounge access at JFK.)

Train or subway transfer to AirTrain is more predictable and faster sometimes, just not fun if your bags are heavy.

My cruise planner for the Jan 28 12 day Anthem cruise is offering a 4 hour tour/transfer to JFK for $99/pp. If this is offered on your sailing, it might be a good way to kill some time and to see some more of NYC.

My guess is that Dial7 from Cape Liberty to JFK will price out at about $130-135 including tolls and tip.

We have 2 spinner suitcases and 2 spinner cabin bags so they were won't fit on top. If we can fit all in suitcases we may not need to take

2 cabin cases and get away just taking 1. Have to have enough clothes for cold weather in NY and warm Caribbean. .

Just checked cruise planner and see the 4 hour tour with transfer to JFK. That may be our best option. It says it is okay for international flights after 4.30pm and domestic flights departing after 3.30 pm. So as long as we arrive at JFK 3pm that'll give us recommend 3 hours before departure. It starts 9.30 am so wonder if you're bag pick up time for getting off ship would be later if you book tour.

Thank you both for all your advice and the information has been really helpful.

Kerry

Mking,

You helped me so much with our Hong Kong visit last year (absolutely terrific), I hope you (or 138East :)) can do the same regarding NY.

We will be 2 families travelling together and arriving at EWR. If we wanted to see the main NY sights before a cruise, which area would you suggest we stay (not until next August)? We'd need 2 rooms with 2 doubles in each room (2 adults & 2 teens and 2 adults & 1 teen in the other) - FYI, we usually stay in Marriotts, Hiltons etc. Additionally, we wouldn't have any transport so would need to use public or car services where applicable to commute into Manhattan. Therefore, is it best staying in Manhattan prior to the cruise or is it manageable from further out? We'd like to visit Staten Island, The Twin Towers Memorial, Ellis Island but also Times Square area, Top of the Rock etc.

We've previously visited NY but our friends haven't, so we'd like them to experience a few places prior to our cruise. We"d also need to return to EWR as we then plan to fly over to Seattle.

Btw, do you know if the immigration lines are any shorter in EWR than JFK (on the whole, of course)? I only ask as it took us nearly 3 hrs the last time we flew into JFK from the UK :o. Nowhere near that time at any other US airport, so wondered if this was the norm in NY? Just remembered, if we fly out of Dublin we'll go through the checks there, so it shouldn't be too bad then when we land ;).

TIA :).

Mking,

You helped me so much with our Hong Kong visit last year (absolutely terrific), I hope you (or 138East :)) can do the same regarding NY.

We will be 2 families travelling together and arriving at EWR. If we wanted to see the main NY sights before a cruise, which area would you suggest we stay (not until next August)? We'd need 2 rooms with 2 doubles in each room (2 adults & 2 teens and 2 adults & 1 teen in the other) - FYI, we usually stay in Marriotts, Hiltons etc. Additionally, we wouldn't have any transport so would need to use public or car services where applicable to commute into Manhattan. Therefore, is it best staying in Manhattan prior to the cruise or is it manageable from further out? We'd like to visit Staten Island, The Twin Towers Memorial, Ellis Island but also Times Square area, Top of the Rock etc.

We've previously visited NY but our friends haven't, so we'd like them to experience a few places prior to our cruise. We"d also need to return to EWR as we then plan to fly over to Seattle.

Btw, do you know if the immigration lines are any shorter in EWR than JFK (on the whole, of course)? I only ask as it took us nearly 3 hrs the last time we flew into JFK from the UK :o. Nowhere near that time at any other US airport, so wondered if this was the norm in NY? Just remembered, if we fly out of Dublin we'll go through the checks there, so it shouldn't be too bad then when we land ;).

TIA :).

What are the exact dates you would need hotel rooms? What is your hotel budget? Now is the time to look around and make a cancellable reservation if you find something that suits. Everyone wants to stay in Manhattan, but that's not always within everyone's budget.

Train from EWR to New York Penn Station is $13/pp each way.

What do you want to visit on Staten Island or do you just want to take the free ferry ride?

We have 2 spinner suitcases and ... may not need to take 2 cabin cases and get away just taking 1. Have to have enough clothes for cold weather in NY and warm Caribbean. .

Just checked cruise planner and see the 4 hour tour with transfer to JFK. That may be our best option ... so wonder if you're bag pick up time for getting off ship would be later if you book tour ...

Or, if you can switch to non-spinners for cabin use, like a convertible backpack/carry-on, making it easier to stack or ride on top of the spinner thru airport & cruise terminals and walkways. Warm weather clothing don't take up lots of room, mix-n-match and pack less. Check the weather in NY just before flying out as you might need less - go with layers ... as most of that will just be in the closet or stayed folded inside the bags while cruising.

AOS's 4 hour tour ending with JFK dropoff should work well and priced competively with DIY transfer to midtown Manhattan again, storing luggage, sightseeing with the running clock in mind, going back to pickup luggage & waiting for a 2nd. car service pickup to get out to the airport.

Downside, 138east/Carol & others being frequent RCI cruisers surely know more, is those post-cruise tour (similar to NCL's ??) are usually drive-by tour as viewed from the bus, maybe not even stopping at all to let everyone off for a 15 minute rest & photo and restroom stop.

Since you are in NY for 2 days and likely going to see some of the key sites already, what "stops" do you have in mind for disembarkation touring before flying time ... or, just to put idle time too good use & not sit at the airport/airline club lounge for several hours ?

Check out the Doubletree Financial Center. It's perfect for vacation. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that business people need, but its a nice hotel on a very quiet street. You can walk to all places of interest in that area, or take one of the many subway lines uptown to Times Square or Rockefeller Center or museums. Best part, in August the prices are very affordable. I've personally stayed there on a staycation. Lots of nice reasonably priced places to eat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What are the exact dates you would need hotel rooms? What is your hotel budget? Now is the time to look around and make a cancellable reservation if you find something that suits. Everyone wants to stay in Manhattan, but that's not always within everyone's budget.

Train from EWR to New York Penn Station is $13/pp each way.

What do you want to visit on Staten Island or do you just want to take the free ferry ride?

We stayed in the Crown Plaza Times Sq last time, but I looked for 3 nights next August and it was approx $550 per night per room :o. So I thought we could stay further out and travel in. Wondered if there was somewhere we could stay that was easy enough to get transport links into Manhattan, but also good for EWR when we have luggage to manhandle.

Just the free ferry so that they could take photos, nothing major for Staten Island.

Check out the Doubletree Financial Center. It's perfect for vacation. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles that business people need, but its a nice hotel on a very quiet street. You can walk to all places of interest in that area, or take one of the many subway lines uptown to Times Square or Rockefeller Center or museums. Best part, in August the prices are very affordable. I've personally stayed there on a staycation. Lots of nice reasonably priced places to eat too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, I'll check it out ;). How would we get there from EWR? Is there public transport we could use easily with luggage?

... We will be 2 families travelling together and arriving at EWR. If we wanted to see the main NY sights before a cruise, which area would you suggest we stay (not until next August)? ... We've previously visited NY but our friends haven't, so we'd like them to experience a few places prior to our cruise. We"d also need to return to EWR as we then plan to fly over to Seattle.

Btw, do you know if the immigration lines are any shorter in EWR than JFK (on the whole, of course)? I only ask as it took us nearly 3 hrs the last time we flew into JFK from the UK :o ... if we fly out of Dublin we'll go through the checks there, so it shouldn't be too bad then when we land ;). TIA :).

Good afternoon to you & hello again, always happy to know the advice worked & you enjoyed the cities visited. Our plans to sail Asia didnt work out this Fall due to timing but in the works for 2018 ... a gang of 10 to 12 of us togoether, LOL. One of my older cousin just sailed with a group of friends out of Kai Tak C.T. yesterday on RCL's V.O.S. - can't wait to get their trip report, saw their uploaded photos on FB, beautiful ship - refurbished w recent drydock - that we sailed long ago.

138east got questions rolling for you - looks like you are sailing X' out of CL 8/24/2018. I see Got2Cruise already has a suggestion for you ... we have wonderful & rich expertise here, and time is on your side to plan, research & fine-tune your plans, down to clockwork, not to worry.

Looking at 7 adults/teens, daily transport/public transit costs can add up quickly ... my tips/advice is for folks to try to pack & travel light, 1 rollerboard or spinner plus a convertible carry-on/backpack - making it easier to use public transit, unless mobility or accessibility is an issue for someone in the group. Without luggage, 7 of you can ride in a minivan or large SUV vs. paying for train, subway and bus fares, especially when transfers are needed.

I will defer to 138east to help identify some choices on both sides of the Hudson River, some of those on Jersey side have wonderful, excellent views of the Manhattan skylines - and, you are 1 PATH commuter train & few stops away from popular tourist attractions, like the WTC/memorial, Wall Street - walkable to nearby South Ferry for the free S.I. ferry to get near the Statue of Liberty. Path trains will get you up to 14th Street or 23th Street, close enough to the "High line Park" on the West Side & the Chelsea Market - and, 34th Street for Macy's, ESB - and, walk 8 blocks north to Times Square, etc.

Comfortable walking shoes are a must, of course - I promised that temperature would be much nicer than HK and humidty being a lot lower - temp today in the mid 70's F (25 deg. C) in NY.

JFK's int'l arrival time - LOL - 3 hours isn't the norm, but 1.5 to 2 hours being rather common, even for us being US Passport holders using new APC (Automated Passport Control ... but not really fully so for most) unless one has Pre-Check and there aren't several other "jumbo's" landing ahead of one's flight. Last time we came home on KL's A380's - we joined the queue behind 2 Queen of the Sky (747's) and took us 75+ minutes, waiting for our checked bags was the worst - Snoopies had to take its walk behind the scene first, ya know.

EWR isn't as bad, from what I understand - our Homeland Security's newest rules & screening guidelines are changing, so who knows in 12 months time ... it also depends, to some degree, on the choice of airlines & landing time ... most Euro flights land in the PM & evenings, and depending on the terminals ... not much anyone can do. JFK has improved over the years ... EWR isn't well known for border control/customs delays but the airport is worst for flight delays. Difference in fares & choice of flights, options/decisions on hotels - all that for the calculus. Factor in the transportation costs to/from hotels & Cape Liberty, etc. - and cross statelines (NY & NJ) always result in higher transfer costs due to tolls - you will definitely need 2 vehicles to haul everyone & luggage.