Pricing policy change?

fnewman

i was recently advised by a travel agent the Viking no longer allows TAs to discount as they formerly did (whatever that means). Anyone else experiencing less price discounting for recent bookings?

There was a long discussion about discounting and Viking's new policy a couple of months back. I tried to find the thread to share the link but no luck. But yes, Viking no longer allows TAs to discount.

i was recently advised by a travel agent the Viking no longer allows TAs to discount as they formerly did (whatever that means). Anyone else experiencing less price discounting for recent bookings?

This happened in May. I can't find the thread either and I know I posted on it. When I booked my Viking Paris river cruise I just missed my % reduction that my online TA usually gives. I did get an OBC but it was not nearly as much as the reduction (usually about 10% of the basic price.)

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

This happened in May. I can't find the thread either and I know I posted on it. When I booked my Viking Paris river cruise I just missed my % reduction that my online TA usually gives. I did get an OBC but it was not nearly as much as the reduction (usually about 10% of the basic price.)

Hope this helps.

Cynthia

The problem with an OBC is that you can't use it when you book your shorex in advance and that they can't be used, as I understand things, to pay gratuities--and those are my two biggest expenditures after cruise fare and air fare.

The problem with an OBC is that you can't use it when you book your shorex in advance and that they can't be used, as I understand things, to pay gratuities--and those are my two biggest expenditures after cruise fare and air fare.

Do I remember reading that you can use them to purchase future cruise vouchers? If you are likely to travel with Viking again, that might be a good use of your OBC.

Do I remember reading that you can use them to purchase future cruise vouchers? If you are likely to travel with Viking again, that might be a good use of your OBC.

The problem (inflexibility) is that any incentives (amount greater than what you pay for the future cruise voucher) is reduced to zero if you do not make a NEW booking within one year of when you purchase the voucher. After one year, the $100 payment per voucher will be tied up until you book your next cruise. You lose it if you stop traveling with Viking.

There was a long discussion about discounting and Viking's new policy a couple of months back. I tried to find the thread to share the link but no luck. But yes, Viking no longer allows TAs to discount.

Interesting - thanks for looking for the thread; I'll try searching also.

The problem (inflexibility) is that any incentives (amount greater than what you pay for the future cruise voucher) is reduced to zero if you do not make a NEW booking within one year of when you purchase the voucher. After one year, the $100 payment per voucher will be tied up until you book your next cruise. You lose it if you stop traveling with Viking.

They do not expire and are transferable. You can sell them, give them away or hold onto them.

I just looked too for the thread and it wasn't listed under my subscribed threads. Maybe it was removed for some reason? We used to get 15% off from our TA. For our NZ/AUS 32 day cruise in 2019 we only got 12%, the discount had been lowered (we booked onboard in May). Glad we got it when we did!