Drive day of cruise or the night before?

amberjohn

Hello,

I am planning on the Oct 31st, 2017 (Gem) cruise from NY (11 night). I have been reading a lot of posts but still very confused on what I should do? I am leaving from SW New Hampshire which takes just under 5 hours.

1) Should I leave in the middle of the night and go directly to the cruise port parking (what time can I park)?

2) Should I do a hotel/park/shuttle package and go down the day before?

Thanks

My advice is to drive as far as Stamford CT the night before and stay at the LaQuinta, which is $109 + tax for your date (less if you have AAA or are seniors). This is a nice budget hotel just off I95 with an attached diner. We stayed there in July - DH, DD, and 3 DGD's - so we could sightsee in NYC.

The next morning you leave about 9 am and take the cars only route to Manhattan via I287 Hutchinson River Parkway, Cross County, Saw Mill, and Henry Hudson parkways ($6 bill by mail toll if no ezpass) which will take you directly to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. This takes about an hour and avoids I95 through the South Bronx and its intersection with I87.

Parking at Stamford station and taking the Metro North train to Grand Central and a cab to the port would also be an option if you don't want to spend $400 to park at the pier.

Your only Park/sleep cruise option would be the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

Post back if you have questions.

We live in Maryland (about 3.5 hours away). We have been to NY numerous times so decided to drive the morning of the cruise. We did leave pretty early in the morning to allow for things. Everything went smooth and we arrived at 9:30 for our 3pm departure. We were on board by 11:30.

My advice is to drive as far as Stamford CT the night before and stay at the LaQuinta, which is $109 + tax for your date (less if you have AAA or are seniors). This is a nice budget hotel just off I95 with an attached diner. We stayed there in July - DH, DD, and 3 DGD's - so we could sightsee in NYC.

The next morning you leave about 9 am and take the cars only route to Manhattan via I287 Hutchinson River Parkway, Cross County, Saw Mill, and Henry Hudson parkways ($6 bill by mail toll if no ezpass) which will take you directly to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. This takes about an hour and avoids I95 through the South Bronx and its intersection with I87.

Parking at Stamford station and taking the Metro North train to Grand Central and a cab to the port would also be an option if you don't want to spend $400 to park at the pier.

Your only Park/sleep cruise option would be the Hilton Gardens in Ridgefield Park, NJ.

Post back if you have questions.

Great advice - that City Limits diner next to La Quinta is worth a trip in itself. The money saved by parking at the Stamford station vs. the cruise pier would more than cover cost of motel room and train/taxi fare.

Or, just spend the night and have the easy, under an hour, drive to the pier the next day.

A five hour early morning drive the day of risks a delay/breakdown jeopardizing departure --- and would in any case leave you too tired to really enjoy your first day on board.

Hello,

I am planning on the Oct 31st, 2017 (Gem) cruise from NY (11 night). I have been reading a lot of posts but still very confused on what I should do? I am leaving from SW New Hampshire which takes just under 5 hours.

1) Should I leave in the middle of the night and go directly to the cruise port parking (what time can I park)?

2) Should I do a hotel/park/shuttle package and go down the day before?

Thanks

I'm gonna be the one to disagree with the consensus on this one. I don't see the difference in driving part of the way, stopping overnight nearby versus driving the entire length in one shot. You could run into to the same issues regardless(car problems, traffic), unless you stay in Manhattan pre-cruise. So if you're comfortable leaving in the middle of the night and getting into the city early, then give yourself enough time and you'll be fine.

I'm gonna be the one to disagree with the consensus on this one. I don't see the difference in driving part of the way, stopping overnight nearby versus driving the entire length in one shot. You could run into to the same issues regardless(car problems, traffic), unless you stay in Manhattan pre-cruise. So if you're comfortable leaving in the middle of the night and getting into the city early, then give yourself enough time and you'll be fine.

Of course, you have five times as much chance of a snag if you have to drive five times as far. The best suggestion - to stay a 45 minute train ride away - involves avoiding the worst part of the drive and the most expensive parking option.