Is your cabin type/area that important to you?

aaron3219

We did one Caribbean cruise with a balcony. Nice but we did not find we used it that much. The open deck are always just a minute away. We have since done two cruises in Obstructed Ocean Views. We get sunlight to wake us and that is all we need. Plus, it saves a bit of coin. Partner did a few cruises alone with inside cabins and if the price were right, I might consider that. Still, OV is nice.

We go for midship front to back and midship or lower for deck. If the sailing is always smooth, this would not matter. Anybody who doubts this, I suggest you go to the highest inside space on the ship -- usually a lounge -- sit in a chair and close your eyes. Imagine sleeping with that much motion! Never been sea sick, but it can trigger if you push your limits.

We too avoid having 'noisy' things on the floor above like a dance club but also just a deck around a pool as the setting out of the deck chairs is a racket.

My 3 cents,

M

I am picky about the cabin type and location as well. I normally go for a balcony or JS, mid-ships on the port side. I look for a cabin with at least one cabin deck above and below, at least 5-6 cabins away from the elevator lobby, with cabins on both sides and across from the cabin I chose. The cabin placement eliminates the noise generated by a public deck above or below; and crew or public spaces adjacent to my cabin. I will go with an OV cabin on most cruises of 4 nights or less, unless I can get a deal on something better. I will also lower my standards on a 5 night cruise if the ship doesn’t have any balconies and jumps straight from OV to full suite. I normally sail solo, since my wife passed and with the number of ships out there, I will find another ship instead of paying that single ‘supplement’ penalty for sailing solo in a full suite. On six or more night cruises, I definitely go with a balcony or JS/MS minimum.

I do on occasion make an exception to the cabin type/location. My last cruise was on the Vision OTS, it was an aft facing corner JS. I just couldn’t justify passing up the $1700 discount they offered me on that JS, it was cheaper than a mid-ships balcony and the JS had a wraparound balcony that was almost as large as the JS itself. My next cruise will be on the Triumph and I have a starboard balcony. I chose that location because I want to try and get some pictures of the blood moon when the total eclipse takes place early on the morning of Oct 8th.

We normally book a mini-suite because we like the balcony but another element is even more important. We are both big people and the mini-suite normally has a bath tub / shower combo. I hate those skinny little shower stalls that don't let you touch your feet. Also, the mini-suite is typically a little larger so that gives us some more room to move around in. If we book early enough we normally find some pretty good prices so it doesn't have to be too expensive.

I see a lot of posts on here people asking/complaining/ or having to have a certain cabin.

Is it that important to you?

Personally if I am on the ship I am happy. I sleep in the cabin and shower. I don't really care what the cabin is.

I guess you have not read my thread on the "cabin selection tips" section...what type of cabin you have completely changes your cruise experience from one of darkness & boredom to sunshine, salt air, sunsets, moonlight, dolphins swimming alongside the ship, passing islands & other cruise ships, and much more...your balcony opens up a separate world of wonders you would never have in an inside cabin ( AKA "broom closet")..Inside cabins remove a great chunk of the cruise experience..When I had an inside cabin, I couldn't stand going back in there either..why should you look forward to a mole?? BUT, with a balcony OR suite, you CAN'T WAIT to get in there and see all the wonders the sea presents!! read & learn:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

Big Al

Get ready to be spoiled. We find that having a balcony gives us two entirely different cruise experiences - one in the public areas with hundreds to thousands of other people where it seems we can never be alone for even a minute, and the other in the peace and quiet of our private balcony away from the crowds and noise. At times it is so peaceful and relaxing out there that it feels like we are the only people on the entire ship. Soooo very nice! Especially going out first thing in the morning right after we get up. We are usually awake well before we dock on a port day. No need to get dressed, comb our hair, brush our teeth to grab some fresh air and check on the weather conditions. Just us and the world passing by our balcony while we take in those precious first moments of the day as we and the world get ready for another wonderful day of new experiences.

Great post! EXACTLY what I say in my thread on balconies called ,"Thanks, cruise ship balcony" on the cabin selection tips section..you can click on it below in my response..I think you will find it right up your alley!! ALL TRUE about the noises from the pool deck to total silence on your balcony, as well as first thing in the morning..also love sunsets & even later in the evening if the moon is out, and you can see the white caps and HEAR the waves...very serene & romantic!!

Big Al

NO!

We have 6 cruises booked .

1 inside. I oceanview, 1 Jr suite, 1 balcony and a B2B in a window suite. Ship, itinerary and price are much more important. I will only book balcony and above if I feel there is any value to the price differences. I sometimes book guarantees because location is rarely a big factor in our cruisisng.

We always book a blacony cabin on the Panorama Deck near the elevators. We have never noticed any noise from the elevators. Just one set of stairs down to the Lido deck for morning coffee or if you're on the Lido deck, just one set of stairs back to your cabin if you need something.

I prefer mid-ship or aft, interior( no light easy to take a nap and for some odd reason I get motion sickness if I look out a window, I'm fine when on deck) room category whatever is cheap and as low down in ship as you can get...gives you a lot of stairs to climb, helps prevent weight gain while on board. Basically I just sleep in room, I get up early and go to bed late and of course nap when needed.

Edited by uncleg
Added to it.

It's not that important to me, but DH likes to have at least a window. It has been six years since I've convinced him to cruise in an inside cabin, but I think I could if the difference in price were too great to get an outside cabin.

We love having a balcony cabin when they are affordable--coming in around $100 per person per day or less.

I see a lot of posts on here people asking/complaining/ or having to have a certain cabin.

Is it that important to you?

Personally if I am on the ship I am happy. I sleep in the cabin and shower. I don't really care what the cabin is.

yes it is. I require natural light and the ability to step outside for fresh air. hence, Balconies and up only( and we prefer suites for the extra space and amenities. )

the actual physical location is less of a concern although I have to temper the non negotiable parts above with the fact that most of the cabin layouts I prefer are far forward. If I can snag one near a set of elevators, great.

i spend a LOT of time n my cabin or on the balcony so yes it plays a high role in choosing my cruise.

I am going to on my first cruise, so my eyes are wide-opened and rosy. I book an inside with my husband because we plan to only use the cabin for sleeping and showering. Our desire is to take in as much of the cruise as possible, not stay in our room much. We'll see how we feel afterwards.

As for placement, I knew I wanted to cocoon between two decks. I did not want to sleep underneath any loud decks or areas. Also, I picked mid-ship port side (I don't think that'll matter much anyway).

I am going to on my first cruise, so my eyes are wide-opened and rosy. I book an inside with my husband because we plan to only use the cabin for sleeping and showering. Our desire is to take in as much of the cruise as possible, not stay in our room much. We'll see how we feel afterwards.

You might want to take a look at the link in post #55 above. It is the best explanation of the benefits of a balcony I have read (thanks to member 'big al'). With a better understanding of what a balcony may provide, you can then be assured that whatever decision you make is the best one.

Edited by boogs

A verandah is important - the light and being able to have solitude on deck are of real value. I suppose I could live with an O/V on an ideal itinerary I could not otherwise afford; but having sailed twice in insides, I do not think I would repeat that under any circumstances.

As far as location is concerned: I like the motion of the sea, so I am open to anywhere on the ship except something adjacent to a noise source: theatre, disco, or galley, or below an open deck where traffic noises would be a bother.

I cannot imagine focussing on particular numbers: 5's or 0's, like some - but should point out to them that not all ships/lines adhere to the starboard/odd, port/even numbering pattern, so they should check deck plans before deciding against the port side because their cabin number must end in 5.

Yes, it's very important to me. I want an aft balcony, preferably in the corner with a wraparound balcony. If not, a regular aft balcony will do. If I cannot have either of those, I'll keep looking for other dates or ships where it's available.

As for placement, I knew I wanted to cocoon between two decks. I did not want to sleep underneath any loud decks or areas. Also, I picked mid-ship port side (I don't think that'll matter much anyway).

You should read this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1947393

Big Al

You might want to take a look at the link in post #55 above. It is the best explanation of the benefits of a balcony I have read (thanks to member 'big al'). With a better understanding of what a balcony may provide, you can then be assured that whatever decision you make is the best one.

Boogs- Thanks for the compliment!! I just sent the poster my thread on balconies...Glad you liked it- it took me 4 months of research & thinking to write it...

Big Al

Here's why I don't understand why people say they save so much money by taking an inside or OV cabin. This is from my travel agent and I grant it is a little hard to follow as it did not copy the format.

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity ConstellationFort Lauderdale, Labadi/Labadee, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Saint Croix, Gustavia, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Fort Lauderdale1departure date:Nov29 2014Select

7 Days Caribbean-Eastern

Celebrity SilhouettePrices from:

Inside$599

OceanView$799

Balcony$899

Suite$1649

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity SilhouetteFort Lauderdale, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Basseterre, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Fort Lauderdale1departure date:Nov23 2014Select

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Celebrity ReflectionNewPrices from:

Inside$699

OceanView$1249

Balcony$1409

Suite$2399

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity ReflectionMiami, Cozumel, Caymans/George Town, Montego Bay,

As you can see, most of the balcony cabin are about $100 to $150 more than the OV cabins.

For 7 days to pay $100 more pp for a balcony seems an easy decision. I do understand that some people don't like to look outside,but I always take a balcony if only for more square feet.

Here's why I don't understand why people say they save so much money by taking an inside or OV cabin. This is from my travel agent and I grant it is a little hard to follow as it did not copy the format.

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity ConstellationFort Lauderdale, Labadi/Labadee, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Saint Croix, Gustavia, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Fort Lauderdale1departure date:Nov29 2014Select

7 Days Caribbean-Eastern

Celebrity SilhouettePrices from:

Inside$599

OceanView$799

Balcony$899

Suite$1649

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity SilhouetteFort Lauderdale, San Juan/Puerto Rico, Basseterre, Philipsburg/St. Maarten, Fort Lauderdale1departure date:Nov23 2014Select

7 Days Caribbean-Western

Celebrity ReflectionNewPrices from:

Inside$699

OceanView$1249

Balcony$1409

Suite$2399

Celebrity Cruises-Celebrity ReflectionMiami, Cozumel, Caymans/George Town, Montego Bay,

As you can see, most of the balcony cabin are about $100 to $150 more than the OV cabins.

For 7 days to pay $100 more pp for a balcony seems an easy decision. I do understand that some people don't like to look outside,but I always take a balcony if only for more square feet.

Agree that I will always choose a balcony when the price difference is $100pp but as an example the cheapest balcony on one leg of our upcoming Quantum Cruise is almost $600pp more expensive than the inside guarantee. I would rather the $1200 in our pockets as that almost gets us another cruise. In your second example the balcony is more than (double) $700pp above the inside so I could take two cruises or one in a balcony at that price. Same food, entertainment, staff, ports. All it takes when I want fresh air, a deckchair to lay on to read in that fresh air or a beautiful view is the effort to get dressed and take a walk up to one of the many great vantage points on board. I have been on reflection and the lounges were plentiful and far more comfortable than the chairs on my balcony. Considering how much food I eat then that is a good thing that I have to walk more lol. The cabin sizes are normally close enough as long as you check which one you book to make little difference.

Edited by woodyren

Agree that I will always choose a balcony when the price difference is $100pp but as an example the cheapest balcony on one leg of our upcoming Quantum Cruise is almost $600pp more expensive than the inside guarantee. I would rather the $1200 in our pockets as that almost gets us another cruise. In your second example the balcony is more than (double) $700pp above the inside so I could take two cruises or one in a balcony at that price. Same food, entertainment, staff, ports. All it takes when I want fresh air, a deckchair to lay on to read in that fresh air or a beautiful view is the effort to get dressed and take a walk up to one of the many great vantage points on board. I have been on reflection and the lounges were plentiful and far more comfortable than the chairs on my balcony. Considering how much food I eat then that is a good thing that I have to walk more lol. The cabin sizes are normally close enough as long as you check which one you book to make little difference.

Hmmmm. Take two cruises in a closed-in box that I can't stand to be in and go out of my to avoid, or take one cruise in a cabin and balcony I actually enjoy being in and often use for some privacy and peace and quiet instead of being forced to put up with the constant crowds and noise in the public areas. That's a no brainer for me. ;)

For some of us the quality of every aspect of the cruise experience is equally important. To us staying in an inside cabin makes about as much sense as only eating in the buffet for the entire cruise instead of enjoying the better food and ambiance that the MDR and specialty restaurants provide. :eek:

Edited by fortinweb

Hmmmm. Take two cruises in a closed in box I can't stand to be in and go out of my to avoid, or take one cruise in a cabin I actually enjoy being in and often use for some peace and quiet instead of being forced to deal with the constant crowds and noise in the public areas. That's a no brainer for me. ;)

For some of us the quality of the entire cruise experience is very important.

I agree with you because you value peace and quiet. Me I'm a people person so I have no issue with lack of peace and quiet. If I want somewhere reasonably peaceful I have always been able to find it on an outside deck on the ships I have sailed. Even when I have a balcony I still spend more time lying on the more comfortable lounges in the open areas watching the Ocean and the world go by.

We have never had room service or eaten anything on our balconies other than the snacks we bring from the buffet and leave in our room. I have had a few quiet drinks there but could just as easily had a walk and found somewhere else to drink if I had an inside.

That is obviously a big difference in cabin choice. For those who must have privacy for anything other than sleep, showering etc then a balcony would be a must.

Not trying to convince anyone either way. Just putting my perspective on how we choose our cabin.

Hmmmm. Take two cruises in a closed-in box that I can't stand to be in and go out of my to avoid, or take one cruise in a cabin and balcony I actually enjoy being in and often use for some privacy and peace and quiet instead of being forced to put up with the constant crowds and noise in the public areas. That's a no brainer for me. ;)

For some of us the quality of every aspect of the cruise experience is equally important. To us staying in an inside cabin makes about as much sense as only eating in the buffet for the entire cruise instead of enjoying the better food and ambiance that the MDR and specialty restaurants provide. :eek:

Agree..as it seems you have read my thread on balconies, it is the "cruise experience" and "the CONNECTION" to the sea I feel in a balcony cabin that is 100% missed in an inside..what a dreary, cold, & claustrophobic experience...no thanks..I save & save for the cruise I WANT, not the cruise I can afford..if I can't afford the cabin I want, on the ship & itinerary I want, I won't cruise...same with the specialty restaurants- we always try them because food, ambiance, and a view of the sea is always better than 1500-2000 people who are loud, with 200+ waiters running around with trays serving often average food...we save for those dinners..can't WAIT to go on the 5 night Oasis for my wife's b'day cruise in late Oct- we have a JS on the hump, with 6 other family members joining us, all with balconies on the same deck..BTW, that's another cool thing you can do on a balcony- if you cruise with another couple or couples, and you have side by side balconies, it's a lot of fun hangin' out back there together..nobody hangs out in an inside cabin, do they, lol ?? Just MHO.

Big Al

I have had a few balconies . I just sleep a lot better in an inside cabin .

As soon as the first light of day appears I'm up before the roaster crows .

In a balcony I'm up looking for coffee at 5 or 5:30 A.M.

I love sleeping till 9 or so in my nice dark inside cabin cuz I'm on Vacation . :D

J.M.H.O.

Edited by biker@sea

I have had a few balconies . I just sleep a lot better in an inside cabin .

As soon as the first light of day appears I'm up before the roaster crows .

In a balcony I'm up looking for coffee at 5 or 5:30 A.M.

I love sleeping till 9 or so in my nice dark inside cabin cuz I'm on Vacation . :D

J.M.H.O.

I agree 100%. We sleep so well in an inside cabin. This can really be important in northern latitudes in the summer.

We always start in an inside cabin, sandwiched between cabin decks in a quiet area of the ship.

Having said that, in 52 cruises we have cruised in insides, OV's, balconies, Aqua Class, and a Mini-suite. We will ride the price down until final payment; after that, we will move up to OV's, balconies…, if the price is right. You must have a TA that will "play this game" with you as I check prices every few days after final payment. We once moved cabins five times in the last 70 days before the cruise. Last summer, we moved from an inside cabin to Aqua Class on Celebrity for less than $100 p/p (10 night cruise).

So we enjoy a variety of cabins, but an inside is just fine with us! Some of the newer ships have inside cabins that are as large as 200 sq ft.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Cabin type is waaay down the list of things that matter to me on a cruise. I am very much a cruiser who cruises for destinations and only secondarily cares that I'm aboard a ship doing it.

I've cruised in inside cabins and in deluxe balcony/veranda cabins and whatever is in between, and I have no problem with any of them, nor where they are located on the ship. I am able-bodied, a good sleeper, and frankly just plain not picky, I guess....

I also care much more about the ship itself than the cabin category. On the small ships I like, I spend most of my time onboard ship (on the few sea days) out and about. It's never crowded or noisy.

Maybe if I sailed on the mega-ships I'd feel different, but I doubt it and here's why -- we cruised on Celebrity Silhouette over New Years last year, a pretty big ship. The ship was fully packed, well over the 2 pax per cabin that's considered a full load, due to all the families. We sprang for a concierge balcony, and honestly I was only ever out on it about 4-5 times for the week cruise. (The longest amount of time we spent there was the day we boarded, before sailaway.)

So, to re-phrase what someone else said earlier: I could take two cruises to wonderful European destinations, see ruins and museums and enjoy delicious food and drink ashore and sail in an inside cabin. Or I could spring for a balcony I rarely use and see only half the places.....