Is Ebola Effecting your Future Cruise Plans?

LadyD1121

I have Planned & Paid for a Cruise in Jan 2015 with a Huge Group of 400+ people and Today I was very saddened to find out that it was canceled because people have been canceling left and right from our group reservations. I have been following the Situation in the news, but honestly I didn't think it would effect my Travel plans in Jan. Am I being Naive? Are others being too Cautious? Are others Changing Cruise Plans Because of Ebola? I am curious to know.

NOPE not worried about it one bit!! I have more chance of getting the Norovirus or the Flu on a cruise than Ebola!!! My cruise is coming up out of San Juan on Nov 8th and we are excited about it and can't wait to go!!

If other people due to cruise on that ship end up canceling.. Oh well ;) might make for a nice quiet relaxing and maybe almost empty ship..

I have Planned & Paid for a Cruise in Jan 2015 with a Huge Group of 400+ people and Today I was very saddened to find out that it was canceled because people have been canceling left and right from our group reservations.

Not sure I understand. The entire cruise was cancelled? Or just the group booking? What cruise is this?

I have been following the Situation in the news, but honestly I didn't think it would effect my Travel plans in Jan. Am I being Naive? Are others being too Cautious? Are others Changing Cruise Plans Because of Ebola? I am curious to know.

Nope. There are much worse issues to be afraid of than the rare chance of catching ebola. How many non-medical people in developed countries have gotten it. Less than 5. Hardly counts as something to be paralyzed with fear over.

Edited by boogs

I have better of catching the flu or cold from people on the subway due to not covering their mouths while sneezing and hacking up a lung than Ebola right now. No seriously, there's lot of coughing and wheezing around that more than normal right, wish had one of those medical masks right now.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Sounds like there will be some last minute bargains in the near future...

If you can drive to the embarkation port it makes a lot of sense to just wait and see if you can get a bargain. Between Ebola and terrorism concerns I can see prices dropping this winter cruise season.

I booked my February AI resort vacation a few weeks ago but I wouldn't be surprised if that goes down in price as well.

I have Planned & Paid for a Cruise in Jan 2015 with a Huge Group of 400+ people and Today I was very saddened to find out that it was canceled because people have been canceling left and right from our group reservations. I have been following the Situation in the news, but honestly I didn't think it would effect my Travel plans in Jan. Am I being Naive? Are others being too Cautious? Are others Changing Cruise Plans Because of Ebola? I am curious to know.

I think there is a fair amount of uncertainty out there about how the health threat will play out in the US over the next six months or so. The cost of a "cancel for any reason" travel insurance policy is kinda high for most people (if its even available at this late date). The need to cancel before final payment to get a refund pushes out the decision date quite a bit too.

We don't feel that Ebola is a threat to any type recreational travel at this time. The Government, after a shaky start, seems to have developed the protocols needed to contain an outbreak . . . at least for the moment.

There is a lot of irrational fear out there that has lead to some bizarre reactions. It is unfortunate that your group travel was cancelled but these things happen. We got caught up in the SARS scare in 2003 and had a travel group cancel our trip to China. We just waited it out and the group went a year later.

So . . . Do you cancel and rebook with your group at a later time or do you press on and enjoy your scheduled vacation?

Enjoy!!

I think there is a fair amount of uncertainty out there about how the health threat will play out in the US over the next six months or so. The cost of a "cancel for any reason" travel insurance policy is kinda high for most people (if its even available at this late date). The need to cancel before final payment to get a refund pushes out the decision date quite a bit too.

We don't feel that Ebola is a threat to any type recreational travel at this time. The Government, after a shaky start, seems to have developed the protocols needed to contain an outbreak . . . at least for the moment.

There is a lot of irrational fear out there that has lead to some bizarre reactions. It is unfortunate that your group travel was cancelled but these things happen. We got caught up in the SARS scare in 2003 and had a travel group cancel our trip to China. We just waited it out and the group went a year later.

So . . . Do you cancel and rebook with your group at a later time or do you press on and enjoy your scheduled vacation?

Enjoy!!

Many of us have airfare on top of the cruise and that is often non-refundable. Some folks just can't afford to lose money. Last minute AI's might be good bargains this year as well I think. Deciding where to go a week out doesn't seem like such a bad idea these days.

Edited by Karysa
sp

Apparently the Ebola "epidemic" is beginning to play itself out. The World Health Organization has declared Nigeria free of Ebola since no new cases have been reported for six weeks. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29685127

Perhaps the end is near!

No longer the lead story on the nightly news and the emphasis has shifted to "managing" the panic.

Apparently the Ebola "epidemic" is beginning to play itself out. The World Health Organization has declared Nigeria free of Ebola since no new cases have been reported for six weeks. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29685127

Perhaps the end is near!

Senegal was declared Ebola-free over the weekend as well. But in the countries between Senegal and Nigeria - Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, it continues to ravage and will for months at least.

Not sure why you put "epidemic" in quotes...

if you call less than a thousand dead in a country of 6 million (seirra leone) "ravaging", ok. something like 145,000 died worldwide last year from the flu. however, my travel plans are definitely changing. im trying to figure out how to get off work to take more cruises next year as the price will be coming down. 4 this year, maybe 6 in 2015.

if you call less than a thousand dead in a country of 6 million (seirra leone) "ravaging", ok. something like 145,000 died worldwide last year from the flu. however, my travel plans are definitely changing. im trying to figure out how to get off work to take more cruises next year as the price will be coming down. 4 this year, maybe 6 in 2015.

Now if airfares would just go down.

Senegal was declared Ebola-free over the weekend as well. But in the countries between Senegal and Nigeria - Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia, it continues to ravage and will for months at least.

Not sure why you put "epidemic" in quotes...

Because it is anything but an epidemic, even though the paranoid among us are calling it that.

For comparison, in the US alone, from 1976 to 2007 an average of 23,607 deaths per year were attributed to influenza. No one called those deaths an "epidemic". As of Oct 20th, the CDC estimates that only 4,555 people WORLD WIDE have died from Ebola. That's about 19% of the US influenza deaths in just one year. 4,555 deaths is hardly a "ravage".

Over 35,000 people died from auto accidents last year in the US. How come no one says we are being ravaged by car crashes? That's 8 times more people dead.

For 2011, here are some statistics of the number of deaths in the US in order of highest deaths:

Heart disease: 596,577

Cancer: 576,691

Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 142,943

Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 128,932

Accidents (unintentional injuries): 126,438

Alzheimer's disease: 84,974

Diabetes: 73,831

Influenza and Pneumonia: 53,826

Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 45,591

Intentional self-harm (suicide): 39,518

That last one is by suicide, and even it's 8 times more, just in the US. World wide there are more than 800,000 deaths by suicide each year (according to the World Health Organization). This makes Ebola seem to be a very minor event.

Edited by fortinweb