Aft cabin selection-Liberty of Seas

swiss

Hi there! I just booked Freedom for the January 16th sailing and will be in my first balcony! I've read ALL of the postings on cruise critic about the aft balconies (good, bad, etc.) and figured I'd ask if anyone has stayed in 7710 (or 7410). It is the only aft balcony left, but it obviously isn't the prized 7708/7408 corner! Do you recommend staying in this room or switching to a midship balcony? At this point there are few options left, so the "hump" balconies are not an option either. Thanks in advance for your help!! :) It's been a while since my last cruise, so I'm excited to be following the boards again.

Agreed that 7710/7410 is not one of the "primo" aft choices, but it is still a much larger balcony than you will get with any side cabin of the same category. So, the "pros" would be...the extra large balcony and a view of the wake (albeit somewhat obstructed, it is still a nice view), and plenty of shade (which others may consider to be a con). The "cons" would be...the somewhat obstructed view, the long walk to the nearest elevator (which I rather enjoy because it burns calories without even thinking about it) and the mostly shady balcony (which I view as a pro not a con ;) but your mileage may vary). Good luck deciding!

I have attached some photos of the equivalent cabin/balcony on Voyager-class ships. It will be the same on Freedom. Also, here is a link to some more photos of the equivalent cabin...

http://www.romain-moisescot.com/voyagerclass/albums/cabins/aftbalconies/7-D/gallery/_gallery.html

472755324_Cabin7390.jpg.b747eee3752eebfbe55419b5e5226c2b.jpg

1085760465_Balcony-7390.jpg.e7aceb563b11120902cc8be9fdec8e87.jpg

1517806110_2Balcony7390.jpg.9c90b94157ee2b9bccc6f528042a722b.jpg

1264000578_2Viewfrom7390.jpg.0842230fda603ed37480b838b9b2ed61.jpg

Thanks so much for all of the pictures!! I will have to show them to my husband and let him make the decision, since I'm the one "dragging" him on the cruise! (I really hope I can turn him into a cruise fan after this one!) Thanks again.

Thanks so much for all of the pictures!! I will have to show them to my husband and let him make the decision, since I'm the one "dragging" him on the cruise! (I really hope I can turn him into a cruise fan after this one!) Thanks again.

Don't forget to show him photos of a side balcony, so he understands how much larger the aft balcony is! Here ya go (Click the photos to enlarge them)...

This is a normal "side" balcony (room for 2 upright chairs and the little table)...

cabE_NM-15.jpg

Here is your potential "aft" balcony (room for two lounge chairs, two upright chairs and the little table)...

aftcab-7D-05.jpg

Don't forget to show him photos of a side balcony, so he understands how much larger the aft balcony is! Here ya go (Click the photos to enlarge them)...

This is a normal "side" balcony (room for 2 upright chairs and the little table)...

cabE_NM-15.jpg

Here is your potential "aft" balcony (room for two lounge chairs, two upright chairs and the little table)...

aftcab-7D-05.jpg

For those considering Aft cabins, I would take Bonnie's recommendation ... it was her previous recommendations several years ago that convinced my wife and me to try Voyager 9390, and we loved it ... and we'll be in our 2nd Aft Cabin on the Freedom next year, this time in a JS. Bonnie, you are a wealth of information and we thank you for posting all the great pictures.

Michael

For those considering Aft cabins, I would take Bonnie's recommendation ... it was her previous recommendations several years ago that convinced my wife and me to try Voyager 9390, and we loved it ... and we'll be in our 2nd Aft Cabin on the Freedom next year, this time in a JS. Bonnie, you are a wealth of information and we thank you for posting all the great pictures.

Michael

Thanks for the kind words Michael. I do love my aft cabins, but I also understand that not everyone does, so I always try to just share the photos so folks can decide based on their own likes and dislikes. Aft is not perfect for everyone, and all aft cabins are not created equal, so hopefully seeing photos is still helpful to others trying to figure out the same thing I tried to figure out many years ago! ;) But, I truly believe that there really is NO bad choice as long as you've chosen to be ON the ship! :D

Yeh, 9390 is a corner which is ideal! I'm jealous! Bonnie -- do you know why the first 4 pictures in the link you sent look like a very different balcony from the last 5 pictures? (darker, smaller, more obstructed view vs. an open, larger, less obstructed view -- the balcony divider is shaped differently as well) If the balcony is anything like the last 5 pictures, I'll be thrilled... but if it is like the first 4, I think I want to switch rooms before it's too late!! :-0

Thank you again for being so helpful, and I'm crossing my fingers that the last 5 pictures are the more comparable ones!

Yeh, 9390 is a corner which is ideal! I'm jealous! Bonnie -- do you know why the first 4 pictures in the link you sent look like a very different balcony from the last 5 pictures? (darker, smaller, more obstructed view vs. an open, larger, less obstructed view -- the balcony divider is shaped differently as well) If the balcony is anything like the last 5 pictures, I'll be thrilled... but if it is like the first 4, I think I want to switch rooms before it's too late!! :-0

Thank you again for being so helpful, and I'm crossing my fingers that the last 5 pictures are the more comparable ones!

Good catch! I didn't even notice that and I am the QUEEN OF AFT (okay, I appointed myself into that position, but what the heck)...I think you are right though that there are "conflicting" photos. Unfortunately, I believe the "better" photos in that link are of an aft cabin on a higher deck. I am guessing it is deck 8 or 9 and one cabin in from the corner. I will try to notify the owner of that website to let them know.

And now you have yourself an official dilemma, because I believe the darker balcony is the deck 7 balcony! ;) Remember, I said it was the "shady" balcony! It DOES get some sun though.

cabE_NM-15.jpg

aftcab-7D-01.jpg

I added the "correct" aft photo in the quote. Sorry about that!

If you can't turn him into a cruise fan on the Freedom then you should probably just give up.....LOL.

I agree! Fingers crossed! :-) I think having a larger "drink budget" for him may help my cause...

Bonnie -- I showed him both pictures and he chose to stick with the aft! He's 6'2" and thought it would be much more comfortable for him to have more room. So we'll see how it goes! When I am back I will post pictures from our balcony so people can see the exact cabin on Freedom.

Thanks again, everyone.

I agree! Fingers crossed! :-) I think having a larger "drink budget" for him may help my cause...

Bonnie -- I showed him both pictures and he chose to stick with the aft! He's 6'2" and thought it would be much more comfortable for him to have more room. So we'll see how it goes! When I am back I will post pictures from our balcony so people can see the exact cabin on Freedom.

Thanks again, everyone.

Yup! My husband is 6'4" and he ALWAYS chooses the bigger balcony with the lounge chairs :D There is something to be said for being able to stretch out and relax! ;) I hope it turns out to be everything you HOPE it is going to be! And...if you can NOT convert your husband to a cruise lover....DUMP HIM! (just kidding) :D

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone ever had trouble booking the corner aft cabins with only 2 passengers?

I originally booked for 3 and now it looks like it will only be my daughter and I. I only noticed by accident that the web booking ONLY let u book a 2 person cabin.....corner afts won't even show up it u put in 2 passengers........

I am afraid...will I loose my corner aft cabin?

Has anyone ever had trouble booking the corner aft cabins with only 2 passengers?

I originally booked for 3 and now it looks like it will only be my daughter and I. I only noticed by accident that the web booking ONLY let u book a 2 person cabin.....corner afts won't even show up it u put in 2 passengers........

I am afraid...will I loose my corner aft cabin?

I guess it depends on which ship and which corner aft. I've so far had nothing but corner afts (and, hopefully it stays that way!) and there's always been only two of us sharing the cabin. I've had 7388 on Adventure, 8618 on Serenade and will have 8710 on Liberty in November. No issues with there only being two of us.

• 1 month later...

I am so excited to have found this thread! DH and I were talking about another cruise this winter with our DS, and we LOVE the AFT!!! Have been on Aft cabins on Celebrity, NCL and Carnival (wrap). I decided to check prices last week and found a great deal on Freedom and the first thing I did was check out AFT availability - the only non-suite balcony for 3 was #1402 so I booked it right away! I am now so thrilled with all the great reviews on this cabin!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh happy day! Called RCI today to finally book Alaska for 8/2011. Had D2 1102 on hold and was thrilled to have found that aft cabin available. Then I casually tell the agent that what I really want is JS 1100, the coveted Radiance corner aft of my dreams that I have never had before, but the one that will surely change my life (LOL) and it has not shown available on any of the dozens of travel sites I've checked for the past few weeks on end.... lo and behold he tells me it IS AVAILABLE! Well, not anymore.... now it's finally mine and I could not be happier. It just infuriates me to no end that they cannot simply show every available cabin! what's up with that?

Oh happy day! Called RCI today to finally book Alaska for 8/2011. Had D2 1102 on hold and was thrilled to have found that aft cabin available. Then I casually tell the agent that what I really want is JS 1100, the coveted Radiance corner aft of my dreams that I have never had before, but the one that will surely change my life (LOL) and it has not shown available on any of the dozens of travel sites I've checked for the past few weeks on end.... lo and behold he tells me it IS AVAILABLE! Well, not anymore.... now it's finally mine and I could not be happier. It just infuriates me to no end that they cannot simply show every available cabin! what's up with that?

MAJOR congratulations to you!!!!!

• 3 months later...

We have just booked IOS deck 10 aft cabin 1404. We have been told that it is approx 10% bigger than a standard D1 cabin (at 214sq ft) anything from (225-230sq ft) and that the balcony is 52 sq ft. Based on a previous thread it was mentioned that 1404/704 were only the standard size. Is this from guess work or by measurement? I would hate to get on board and find that it is only normal size.:)

Edited by BlueJade

• 3 weeks later...

I just called Royal Caribbean and they said that while #1400 is slightly larger (214SF vs. 199SF) inside, the balcony is actually smaller that normal (42SF vs. 53SF) Is there anyone who has actually seen #1400 on the IOS? As a family of 4, are we better off with a typical D1 category?

We are looking to switch from a normal D1 cabin to #1400 on the Independance. I just want to make sure that #1400 will accomdate 4 people?

1400 is the mirror image of 1700. I stayed in 1700 on Freedom. It will hold 4 passengers, but 2 will have to share the sofabed. There is no pullman bed, just the fullsized sofa bed. But the cabin is MUCH larger than a standard balcony cabin and the balcony is HUGE. I will attach a few photos below of 1700 from Freedom (same as IOS). The last photo is the sofabed in the open position so you can see how big it is. That photo is actually taken from the same cabin on Explorer of the Seas, but it would be the same size on IOS...

100_3034.jpg.5c9f5d45fb1411d1925b0e48fb81dc61.jpg

100_3187.jpg.bf12aac546578f329fa91191b6b70a42.jpg

100_3177.jpg.3024cf7b6a321a8d8b95fefd19584b2d.jpg

100_3035.jpg.2126ad90eb1335cfc777db9ae78af681.jpg

1432667163_cabin1688.jpg.91a852e47cf8765474bc93f51401e35f.jpg

We have just booked IOS deck 10 aft cabin 1404. We have been told that it is approx 10% bigger than a standard D1 cabin (at 214sq ft) anything from (225-230sq ft) and that the balcony is 52 sq ft. Based on a previous thread it was mentioned that 1404/704 were only the standard size. Is this from guess work or by measurement? I would hate to get on board and find that it is only normal size.:)

The balcony of 1404 on IOS is MUCH larger than 52 sq. ft. ;) It is more like this...

2106538870087978241S500x500Q85.jpg

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

I just called Royal Caribbean and they said that while #1400 is slightly larger (214SF vs. 199SF) inside, the balcony is actually smaller that normal (42SF vs. 53SF) Is there anyone who has actually seen #1400 on the IOS? As a family of 4, are we better off with a typical D1 category?

You are absolutely better off with 1400!!!! Do not switch! :D

Here is 1700 (mirror image of 1400) cabin and balcony...

2612209450036355651S500x500Q85.jpg

IMGP0520.jpg

Here is a regular cabin and balcony...

10611886734b27de9b702803.11345613-1260904091.jpg

L12.jpg