Tom Harper river cruise

Roadlamp

I just read my tour participation agreement with Vantage. Here's what it says: "If the tour is canceled by Vantage for any reason, Vantage shall have no liability beyond the prompt refund of all tour participants' payments received by it." So, in the event Vantage goes bankrupt they are, theoretically, obligated to refund any payments I have made to them. I say theoretically and not contractually because this, of course, is assuming that they have the money! In the event of a bankruptcy proceeding, I would become just another creditor listed on the petition and if I'm lucky might get a refund of a portion of what I paid, depending on what the companies assets are worth; what is left after all the preferred creditors are paid off and how many other creditors there are. Bottom line, probably no where near what I paid.

HK, that sounds about right in case of bankruptcy. The thing that comes to mind, if any line goes bankrupt will they cancel or simply lock the doors and turn off the phone. I think that is what happened at Tom Harper. No money, no reason to do anything more. :( And they don't have much in the way of assets to sell.

HK, that sounds about right in case of bankruptcy. The thing that comes to mind, if any line goes bankrupt will they cancel or simply lock the doors and turn off the phone. I think that is what happened at Tom Harper. No money, no reason to do anything more. :( And they don't have much in the way of assets to sell.

That's always the problem with bankruptcy. The companies will sell off everything they can, convert it to cash, disperse the cash between the principals and THEN declare bankruptcy. If anything is left, first to be paid are any taxes federal and state, then banks (in general people who don't really NEED the $$) followed by the general creditors (people who DO need the $$) who will share whatever is left......all thousands of them! What you described is what happened to friends of ours who were in the middle of their European trip when the company closed up shop and slunk off into the night. They didn't find out until the group was checking into a hotel and found out they no longer had reservations. TM and bus driver disappeared because they weren't going to be paid and another company made arrangements for them to actually continue their trip and get home because "it makes all of us look bad". THAT'S the kind of company I want to deal with!!

Edited by Hydrokitty

As someone who likes to travel more than my husband does, I was initially excited when I first heard about Tom Harper cruises because they offered some cruises with cabins for the solo traveler with no single supplements.

http://tomharper.com/blogs/press-releases/17882796-on-this-river-cruise-ship-solo-travelers-get-their-own-rooms

Sad to now see the news that Tom Harper River Journeys appears to be kaput. Here's an article dated May 18, 2015 stating that they are no longer in business and the offices are closed.

http://www.travelweekly.com/River-Cruising/Better-Business-Bureau-Tom-Harper-River-Journeys-no-longer-operating

Yes and left a lot of cruisers without $1000's and no cruise to show for it! Many a day or two from sailing and already in the country their cruise ship as to depart from.... travel insurance purchased thru the cruiseline would not have covered this default!

The Boston BBB still has Tom Harper River Cruises with an A Rating. :eek:

It would be good for all the affected customers to file complaints with the BBB. This might help future travelers.

UPDATED 5/19/2015: From BBB website:

This Business is not BBB accredited

Tom Harper River Journeys

Phone: (855) 464-XXXX

Fax: (617) 315-XXXX

85 Chapel St, Newton, MA 02458

XXXX@tomharper.com

http://www.tomharper.com

! There is an alert on Tom Harper River Journeys !

BBB® NR Rating

This business has no rating because it is out of business.

We are among those traveling (with 2 other couples) who paid up front, through e-check (for the discount), way last February for a cruise coming up June 25. We additionally paid for airfare and the extension a few days later with a credit card. We happened to have a proposed, not final, itinerary we received with that invoice. I called American Airlines and yes indeedy TH first tried to "change" the reservation on May 4 (ie: put in another traveler's name, cancel? AA wouldn't say what the change was but that it was weird). Ultimately on May 14th they cancelled the non refundable ticket (so maybe even they didn't get any money back.. it had been fully paid for, by check by TH back early in the year). No notice to us of any of this. Then the announcement on these various third party travel internet sites say that they are out of business a few days later. The credit card company wants proof that we can't go on this cancelled trip, but how can you prove a negative without any notice saying it was cancelled. AA says that they will reinstate the ticket (but that they didn't advise it, you never know, TH could try to cancel it again, so to keep checking it.. and you could end up stranded anywhere along the way if TH succeeds in canceling it)... but if we go and use that ticket, we can't get the chargeback for the 5K as that would be credit card fraud ... so we are out the whole 17K... our dream retirement, once in a lifetime trip. The cruiseline (Magna Carta) which owns the ship hasn't answered our email either so hopefully they will and that will be partial proof... but not really proof we can't use the tickets and the extension. I am not sure there is anyway to satisfy the cc company and get even the 5K back. next time, if there is a next time, I'm waiting and paying right at the last minute so all they have to play with is my 1,000 deposit... and of course, always use the credit card even if it seems like you are wasting the discount you could get

I hope you have been and enjoyed your trip to Scotland with Tom Harper by now. If not, you are probably just like many of us who were not informed that they are out of business... and for those who paid in cash (e-check), we have no recourse to get our money back. It was our dream retirement vacation... with both extensions... 17K gone, poof, just like that. Tom Harper's doors are closed. Magna Carta who owns the ship hasn't answered our email. American Airlines says that TH paid in full for the airfare early in the year, but then in early May started trying to adjust the reservation, then canceled it entirely on May 14. We wouldn't have known except we started to get suspicious as we had no AA confirmation number and had not heard a peep from TH... and then did this internet search and heard the word on 5/21. I don't know if Tom Harper is going into bankruptcy, their site is still up so maybe they hope to make a "comeback". Stay clear of anything to do with them, or with any reincarnation created by any of their principals in the future. I hope someone can prove fraud and put someone in jail; though it won't save me my dream trip or my money

I hope you have been and enjoyed your trip to Scotland with Tom Harper by now. If not, you are probably just like many of us who were not informed that they are out of business... and for those who paid in cash (e-check), we have no recourse to get our money back. It was our dream retirement vacation... with both extensions... 17K gone, poof, just like that. Tom Harper's doors are closed. Magna Carta who owns the ship hasn't answered our email. American Airlines says that TH paid in full for the airfare early in the year, but then in early May started trying to adjust the reservation, then canceled it entirely on May 14. We wouldn't have known except we started to get suspicious as we had no AA confirmation number and had not heard a peep from TH... and then did this internet search and heard the word on 5/21. I don't know if Tom Harper is going into bankruptcy, their site is still up so maybe they hope to make a "comeback". Stay clear of anything to do with them, or with any reincarnation created by any of their principals in the future. I hope someone can prove fraud and put someone in jail; though it won't save me my dream trip or my money

I'm so sorry you experienced this, and hope you will get some of your money back somehow.

We are among those traveling (with 2 other couples) who paid up front, through e-check (for the discount), way last February for a cruise coming up June 25. We additionally paid for airfare and the extension a few days later with a credit card. We happened to have a proposed, not final, itinerary we received with that invoice. I called American Airlines and yes indeedy TH first tried to "change" the reservation on May 4 (ie: put in another traveler's name, cancel? AA wouldn't say what the change was but that it was weird). Ultimately on May 14th they cancelled the non refundable ticket (so maybe even they didn't get any money back.. it had been fully paid for, by check by TH back early in the year). No notice to us of any of this. Then the announcement on these various third party travel internet sites say that they are out of business a few days later. The credit card company wants proof that we can't go on this cancelled trip, but how can you prove a negative without any notice saying it was cancelled. AA says that they will reinstate the ticket (but that they didn't advise it, you never know, TH could try to cancel it again, so to keep checking it.. and you could end up stranded anywhere along the way if TH succeeds in canceling it)... but if we go and use that ticket, we can't get the chargeback for the 5K as that would be credit card fraud ... so we are out the whole 17K... our dream retirement, once in a lifetime trip. The cruiseline (Magna Carta) which owns the ship hasn't answered our email either so hopefully they will and that will be partial proof... but not really proof we can't use the tickets and the extension. I am not sure there is anyway to satisfy the cc company and get even the 5K back. next time, if there is a next time, I'm waiting and paying right at the last minute so all they have to play with is my 1,000 deposit... and of course, always use the credit card even if it seems like you are wasting the discount you could get

What a heartbreaking disaster you have suffered. I don't know if any of these things would help but I would contact the BB and see if they can help you with proof that TH is out of business; ask your credit card company if they have any insurance in place that would cover your loss; check with your homeowner's insurance to see if the loss is covered under theft or fraud; contact the Bankruptcy Court for whatever district TH office was in and ask them if a bankruptcy petition has been filed and if so make sure your name is on it as a creditor. With a $17,000 loss you might be able to get something back but it will be a long time. I know even the company we use offers a discount if we pay in full way ahead of time, but I'm too suspicious so I wait to the last minute. It seems to be pretty common in the industry to pay for today's trip with tomorrow's money.

On tripadvisor Russia forum, Tom Harper journeys, page 9, post 84 is a email from Tom Harper regarding going out of business. I understand that not many people got an email.

Then google Travel Weekly magazine - May 18 regarding Tom Harper closing.

Did you purchase Travel Insurance.... From someone other than thru TH??

(Travel Guard, CSA, etc) Travel Insurance other by the or thru the cruiseline does not cover Default :(

Edited by JVilleGal

Did you purchase Travel Insurance.... From someone other than thru TH??

(Travel Guard, CSA, etc) Travel Insurance other by the or thru the cruiseline does not cover Default :(

No it doesn't and unless the policy you buy from someone else specifically states that it has "default coverage", it doesn't either....and most of them don't unless you go the more expensive policies.

Mine always did, complete with a long list of companies they covered for default. But I always bought fairly comprehensive coverage thru "tripinsurancestore"

That's why....I checked them out because quite honestly it never occurred to me that the company's solvency is something I'd want to insure..and when I contacted the company for more insurance (don't remember who it was, Allied I think) they said they do offer it but it's on the more comprehensive (expensive) policies.

That's why....I checked them out because quite honestly it never occurred to me that the company's solvency is something I'd want to insure..and when I contacted the company for more insurance (don't remember who it was, Allied I think) they said they do offer it but it's on the more comprehensive (expensive) policies.

I believe it's also only available when you buy the policy at the same time as your first payment (e.g. deposit) on the cruise -- as with pre-existing illness coverage they don't let you wait until a scare arises to add the coverage. The policy our TA sells (from Allianz) includes both.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I believe it's also only available when you buy the policy at the same time as your first payment (e.g. deposit) on the cruise -- as with pre-existing illness coverage they don't let you wait until a scare arises to add the coverage. The policy our TA sells (from Allianz) includes both.

Yes, that's is true....and I think the company I checked out was Allianz.

Just got a call from our TA confirming the discussion on Tom Harper closing. We were booked on the June 28 Scotland journey. Fortunately we paid by credit card (Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa) and they said we would get a full refund for the cruise fare. For our flights we will have to pay the change fee and use tickets somewhere before February 2016. We also found our policy would have covered financial issues of tour operator if we had paid for it when we first booked back in May 2014. Interesting that the CEO tried to latch on to AMRAS as well but is now MIA.