Bed Bugs on Carnival Glory

constansl

I was so excited about our cruise. This was our first cruise with Carnival and the first time I had splurged for the balcony room. Unfortunately, the whole experience was over shadowed by one experience. We found ourselves covered with bites from suspected bed bugs. This was disturbing, but Carnival’s response is what will likely lead us to never cruise with them again.

Beginning on the very first full day of the cruise, my husband and I began noticing little bites on our bodies. These continued to get progressively worst throughout the cruise. We weren’t sure of what the bites were, but we knew they appeared while on board. We notice new ones every morning. I looked around and could not find the source. I work in a legal office and represent a hotel, so I have read about the signs of what to look for, but also know it is not always that evident.

The interaction with the medical staff was the disappointment of the cruise. The nurse was immediately dismissive, hostile and antagonistic. Her number one concern was to attempt to convince us that whatever the cause, it was something we received off the ship. She also treated us, as if we were con artists, out to make false accusations against the ship. She began to excuse the symptoms as not possibly being bed bugs because as she stated, “the whole ship would be infested.” She then told us, it must have been something we picked up on one of the beaches. Of course this was implausible since we noticed our first bites prior to the arrival of our first port of call on our first sea day. She also stated that because my husband was covered in bites and that I only had a few, this was not bed bugs. All of these explanations defied logic and gave the impression that our welfare was secondary to the need to deny responsibility at all costs. She finally conceded that she could not tell by looking at the bites, whether they were caused by bed bugs. She seemed to resent the fact that we reported this issue and retained her antagonistic demeanor throughout the entire conversation. Her hostility was completely unwarranted and inexcusable. We are not opportunists but genuinely concerned with both the potential for a ship-wide infestation and preventing an infestation in our home. We never asked for any compensation.

The nurse didn’t examine either my husband or I, but provided us some ointment for the itching. She told us someone would be sent to our room and we would receive some type of follow up after they went to our room. Although, we did see people go into our room, (we didn't go into the room while they were there, so they could do whatever they needed to do.) We received no follow up or further information. No one said anything to us again. What we hoped for was maybe some information on how to avoid bringing any bugs home. When we got off the cruise, we called family at home to ask them to research the steps we should take to ensure we didn’t bring bed bugs into our homes. Hopefully, the internet searches prevent our home from infestation, because Carnival didn’t seem concerned.

Very bad situation, sorry it happened to you all.

I can't understand this head-in-the-sand approach that hotels and cruise lines often take toward bed bugs. They are a rapidly growing problem, and won't be going away anytime soon. Cruise lines, hotels and any other businesses that cater to international travel should have a plan in place to deal with them. Not just handing out Benadryl, snake oil, or a dismissive attitude.

I was so excited about our cruise. This was our first cruise with Carnival and the first time I had splurged for the balcony room. Unfortunately, the whole experience was over shadowed by one experience. We found ourselves covered with bites from suspected bed bugs. This was disturbing, but Carnival’s response is what will likely lead us to never cruise with them again.

Beginning on the very first full day of the cruise, my husband and I began noticing little bites on our bodies. These continued to get progressively worst throughout the cruise. We weren’t sure of what the bites were, but we knew they appeared while on board. We notice new ones every morning. I looked around and could not find the source. I work in a legal office and represent a hotel, so I have read about the signs of what to look for, but also know it is not always that evident.

The interaction with the medical staff was the disappointment of the cruise. The nurse was immediately dismissive, hostile and antagonistic. Her number one concern was to attempt to convince us that whatever the cause, it was something we received off the ship. She also treated us, as if we were con artists, out to make false accusations against the ship. She began to excuse the symptoms as not possibly being bed bugs because as she stated, “the whole ship would be infested.” She then told us, it must have been something we picked up on one of the beaches. Of course this was implausible since we noticed our first bites prior to the arrival of our first port of call on our first sea day. She also stated that because my husband was covered in bites and that I only had a few, this was not bed bugs. All of these explanations defied logic and gave the impression that our welfare was secondary to the need to deny responsibility at all costs. She finally conceded that she could not tell by looking at the bites, whether they were caused by bed bugs. She seemed to resent the fact that we reported this issue and retained her antagonistic demeanor throughout the entire conversation. Her hostility was completely unwarranted and inexcusable. We are not opportunists but genuinely concerned with both the potential for a ship-wide infestation and preventing an infestation in our home. We never asked for any compensation.

The nurse didn’t examine either my husband or I, but provided us some ointment for the itching. She told us someone would be sent to our room and we would receive some type of follow up after they went to our room. Although, we did see people go into our room, (we didn't go into the room while they were there, so they could do whatever they needed to do.) We received no follow up or further information. No one said anything to us again. What we hoped for was maybe some information on how to avoid bringing any bugs home. When we got off the cruise, we called family at home to ask them to research the steps we should take to ensure we didn’t bring bed bugs into our homes. Hopefully, the internet searches prevent our home from infestation, because Carnival didn’t seem concerned.

I have been through this twice. Very unpleasant. 1st time was 35 years ago. Went to NYC with a girlfriend and I got eaten alive and she got nar a one. Not know what was happenning, we remained in that room for either 2 or 3 days before checking out. Looked like I had head to toe chicken pocks. But, bed bugs they were.

2nd time was about a year ago. Traveling for buisness I awakened in the morning with a few. Thought of masquito bites. Next morning a woke up with many more. I quickly ripped off my blanket and found no more than half a dozen, very fat (with my blood) and very small bugs. (Now the gross part) I pressed down on a couple and they exploded with what was probably my blood.

It doesn't take many to make a sucky vacation (or buisness trip).

How dare that onboard nurse, trained to heal and soothe, try to make it anything other than what it was.

Next time, quickly kill those blood suckers and present her with the proof. They can certainly be in only one cabin or one hotel room.

I just came off Victory on 12/19 and I swore I wasnt going to say anything as the flamers are going to be all over this post and I didnt want to excite future cruisers without firm facts. I will tell my story and let each of you determine what you think may have been going on as Im sure there will be hundreds of opinions.

First off before I left there was an Inspiration thread on bed bugs which I didnt dare read. I also live in Ohio which has been ranked 1st 2nd with bed bug infestations. Im a nurse working in a large academic medical center and I travel all over the country and Im not one to usually get all freaked out when I hear things such as this.

We had a lovely balcony room, my DH and I shared the big bed with a pull down and the couchbed for our teenage sons. We stayed in a hotel in Sat night...Sunday I was fine. Sunday night I slept in my ship bed, got up went to the beach in St Thomas, showered and noticed on my shin a pretty large itchy bite just like a mosquito bite. didnt really think much of it just said to my DH, darn it looks like a bug bit me.On Tues our at sea day I got up and noticed 2 more bites on the same leg around my knee area and later in the day one by my ankle. All the same, red itchy raised all with what looked like a deep center bite. Sure enough I would awake on Weds with a few now on the right leg so i asked my family if anyone else had any and they said no. We joked that whatever it was it sure was enjoying me. On Thurs I would now have a few on my left arm, the others remained pretty inflamed but not needing medical attention and the first one the center had started to scab really bad. At this time without dout bed bugs came to mind. I didnt want to say it out loud as I had no firm proof. I again asked my DH who had none and we talked and I indicated that I thought it was wierd that only I had the bites but they were appearing every morning like clockwork. Now I struggle...do I get it documented or just deal with it as I was in no mood to spend time with the ships medical staff nor was I in any mood to have my situation dismissed. There was no way I was looking in the bed becouse that would have been the part that sent me off, it was easier for me to make a decision and just stick with it so that it didnt ruin my cruise. I decided to stay clueless and the bites continued. The first ones were starting to dry up a bit from the sun exposure but I can tell you a week after getting home I still had the bumps and I never had another bite after coming off that ship. Being in Ohio it was freezing when we came home so all our luggage stayed in the garage and I put the laundry in the wash right from there.

I do believe its easy to point to B-- B--- with all that is going on and I know cruisehips and hotels are working very hard to keep this under control but Im sorry there is no way to exclude this 100% and I realize alot of these bites look like other bug bites. Like I said I referred to it as a mosquito bite as that is exactly what it looks like. For me I chose to not report it, Im now trying to decide if I should inform corporate so they can do with it what they may. I think maybe we should all just write letters to corporate.

As a nurse Im sorry that your medical issue was dismissed. Im sure they are on edge by the BB word...it could tank the industry

That is awful..... BB happen, why did they not try to fix the issue instead of being in denial? What room were you in? I am doing a B2B on the glory in Feb

We were in 7341. It was sad because we reported the problem so Carnival could treat the room and no one else would have to sleep in bed bugs. I know bed bugs happen. We weren't upset until the experience with the miserable nurse. It was that encounter that makes me compelled to tell people. I have no idea if Carnival found any bugs when they checked our room or what they did to treat the room. We never heard...

The situtation described above is rather unfortunate. Bed Bugs, as well as Lice and Scabies are currently epidemic in the United States (as well as in much of the world). It has very little to do with the socioeconomic conditions of the individual (family) or their hygiene.

It one reports bed bugs, Carnival should certainly do everything to fumigate the room. I question whether the situtation described above should have been handled by the ship's physician, or whether the Pursers Desk should have been the place to lodge complaints and for the ship's staff to take the necessary action.

I do feel that Carnival and all the other cruise lines should have an established policy as to how to handle any type of infection whether it be bed bugs, lice, scapies or the Norovirus.

The situtation described above is rather unfortunate. Bed Bugs, as well as Lice and Scabies are currently epidemic in the United States (as well as in much of the world). It has very little to do with the socioeconomic conditions of the individual (family) or their hygiene.

It one reports bed bugs, Carnival should certainly do everything to fumigate the room. I question whether the situtation described above should have been handled by the ship's physician, or whether the Pursers Desk should have been the place to lodge complaints and for the ship's staff to take the necessary action.

I do feel that Carnival and all the other cruise lines should have an established policy as to how to handle any type of infection whether it be bed bugs, lice, scapies or the Norovirus.

I would agree. Our first stop was to Guest Services. At the time they had a line. One of the officers stepped out from the counter to try to assist people more quickly. He was very professional and courteous and asked us to go down to the medical office to be seen.

We are going with Halya50 on the Glory ( well one of the trips) and are 7225 OMG I hope the blood suckers stay down there...I got what I thought was bites when we were on the independance of the seas in march of 10. I know what a mosquitoe bite feels like.. they are our provincial bird ( lol) and this was nothing like it at all. Bendryl and cortisone creme were the only things that seemed to help the itching.

For what it is worth Carnival didn't handle the SARS outbreak a few years ago very well either. They exposed hundreds of people that were low risk to hundred of people that were high risk and had no place to quaratine us...I hope they straighten up ther act soon.

Just some info, they do not always bite in a 3 pattern but if you do have a pattern of 3 it probably is BBs. They usually do just just bite 1 person. 40 percent of people do not show signs at all of bb bites which is why it is important to once a month check your beds the seams etc.

Report them do not blame hotels and cruiselines I read where people want to suit etc. how very stupid. They can be picked up in movie theatres, restaurants buses etc. I have read where someone would make a comment like, I was on such and such ship and i didn[t see any or get bitten, They may only be in one room or two that is why it is important to make any ship hotel etc know so they can treat the area and hopefully prevent a larger outbreak.

Read info so you know what do look for I always search hotels and my cabin pull back the sheets examine the seams the headboards etc you are looking for black marks fecal stains etc.

Travelling you have to educate yourself and be proactive

we found a bug in our room on inspiration on nov 16th after that ship was in dry dock for 2 weeks,we took pictures of the bed bug and had the portrer remove the bed bug from the room, i had bites on my head and carnival refused to help us treat our luggage or compensate for troubles we encountered.

you can search forums for "bed bug inspiration" and read our posts on this site.

my lawyer larry just wrote a letter to carnival to handle my problem, i will talk to him about your situation to see if it helps my case.

Carnival has to change there "Its your problem" attitude, "call the carnival 800 number" response.

after talking to larry about sending a letter to carnival now he is going on a royal cruise with me out of tampa on the 13th of january for 4 nites.

i just got back today on a new years eve cruise out of port canaveral with royal that was great, the monarch an older ship that was great.

i had bed bug bites on my head and didnt even know they were there untill the tv guy asked us if we had bites and we should inspect each other for bites.

go read our thread started on november 17th on this site, i dont want to talk about my situation any more than i have to, people are not very nice to people with these problems, they want to point there fingers at you, at least that how it has happend to me.

I wish you luck, i wish i would have gotten my lawyer involved right away, carnival dosnt respond to the BBB or consumer justice or the media.

we found a bug in our room on inspiration on nov 16th after that ship was in dry dock for 2 weeks,we took pictures of the bed bug and had the portrer remove the bed bug from the room, i had bites on my head and carnival refused to help us treat our luggage or compensate for troubles we encountered.

you can search forums for "bed bug inspiration" and read our posts on this site.

my lawyer larry just wrote a letter to carnival to handle my problem, i will talk to him about your situation to see if it helps my case.

Carnival has to change there "Its your problem" attitude, "call the carnival 800 number" response.

after talking to larry about sending a letter to carnival now he is going on a royal cruise with me out of tampa on the 13th of january for 4 nites.

i just got back today on a new years eve cruise out of port canaveral with royal that was great, the monarch an older ship that was great.

i had bed bug bites on my head and didnt even know they were there untill the tv guy asked us if we had bites and we should inspect each other for bites.

go read our thread started on november 17th on this site, i dont want to talk about my situation any more than i have to, people are not very nice to people with these problems, they want to point there fingers at you, at least that how it has happend to me.

I wish you luck, i wish i would have gotten my lawyer involved right away, carnival dosnt respond to the BBB or consumer justice or the media.

Will you ever go away?

We were in 7341. It was sad because we reported the problem so Carnival could treat the room and no one else would have to sleep in bed bugs. I know bed bugs happen. We weren't upset until the experience with the miserable nurse. It was that encounter that makes me compelled to tell people. I have no idea if Carnival found any bugs when they checked our room or what they did to treat the room. We never heard...

:eek: I have the 2 cabins right next door and my mom and MIL are (were?) booking 7341!! We don't sail til May, but the FIRST thing we're doing is checking for BB.

:eek: I have the 2 cabins right next door and my mom and MIL are (were?) booking 7341!! We don't sail til May, but the FIRST thing we're doing is checking for BB.

We are going to be a few rooms down from 7341 and are cruising in may as well... Im a little unease about this. Hopefully carnival is being proactive about fumigating *crosses fingers* because bringing BB in my home would be devastating!!

Yes, one person can be bitten more than the other or not at all. Same with mosquitos, not everyone gets bitten by them, some folks never do.

Take along a huge trash bag and keep your suitcase wrapped in that and tied at the top while on the ship, this will ensure you won't bring any home in the seams of the luggage.

We leave on our cruise in just 12 short days! The Legend! Yippeee. Our first cruise.

Tom please make sure you tell everyone you saw 1 bug and have a crappy video. Also the bite you didn't even notice until someone pointed it out to you. You are cruising with a lawyer? I am guessing he is a friend who happens to be a lawyer. And threads on message boards can not be used as evidence because it is all hearsay and it could all be made up.people could make numerous threads under different names with the same topic to help there cause Unless you get the person to testify in person, this or any thread like this is useless.

Oh thank-you for the tip about the garbage bags for my suitcase, that's an easy thing to do. I am terrified of bringing home bedbugs. I don't think people realize how costly it can be to get rid of them if you bring them home. I would rather spend the money on another crusie LOL. Thanks again :)

Thank you everyone for your responses. It makes me feel a little better. Honestly, my complaint is not about the bed bugs, but only Carnival's response. I am very disappointed with the attitude they took. I just got a response from Carnival's corporate office today after the email I sent several weeks ago. Carnival assured me that they fumigate between every sailing and they apologized for our experience. They of course denied that there was evidence that bed bugs were in our stateroom. They then seemed to miss the point of my email by telling me that I should have payed for cruise insurance to cover any medical fees I incurred. That was confusing. I understand my experience was just my experience and could have happened on any cruise line, but I don't expect I will cruise Carnival again. I would rather give my money to a company that has not disappointed me. I will be cruising again and often if I can.

If it is true that bed bugs bite in a pattern of three, then this is exactly what we experienced. Regardless of whether it was bed bugs or something else, we still were covered with bites by the end of our cruise. Perhaps I will post the pictures later. We took the pictures with the idea that we would want proof if we later had to fumigate our home. Of course, even a month later if I found a bed bug in my home, there would be no way to prove it came from Carnival and I cannot prove that Carnival is negligent in any way.

I hope no one has our experience, but I hope you use my information to check your room and fix the problem early.

Happy Cruising.

Wow, I'm very impressed at how civil this thread is! No one has come out to claim there is no way Carnival could have bed bugs or whatever people usually say to get the Bed Bugs debates so heated. The fact is- they are EVERYWHERE! In 5 star hotels, your own bed, where you shop, where you work... it's an infestation and Carnival is making a big mistake by denying they could be on their ships.

Yes, it's possible you brought on the bugs yourself (someone had to, it's not like they just magically appear) but having even a few bugs in a few cabins can quickly turn into a huge problem for Carnival and I think the better strategy would be to act as concerned as possible and create a protocol for suspected bed bugs. I'm at least happy to hear people were going in and out of your cabin so it doesn't seem like it was being ignored- just denied.

Whenever I go to hotels now the first thing I do is pull back the covers and inspect the sheets for signs of bed bugs. I've gotten lucky so far but still keep my luggage off the ground (I usually put it up on a table or where the life jackets are) and zipped when I'm not getting something out. It's helped to keep me bug free so far! At the last hotel I stayed at my room had a bit of a beetle infestation and I managed to make it home without a single beetle tag-along!

Archived