What to do in Portland, ME and Halifax, NS

awestover89

Am I correct in assuming that this is all done by walking from where the ship stops? (if that's a dumb question, please excuse me..)

The Halifax Town Clock is next to the Citadel and is less than ¾ miles from where the cruise ship docks unfortunately it is an uphill walk from there. You could take a taxi or maybe there is public transportation available.

SBtS

Depending on the walking route you take, it is not uphill. I suggest walking to Barrington Street (about five minutes from the Port) and Spring Garden Road; proceed along Spring Garden to the Public Gardens then find your way to the Citadel. Start your return walk (all downhill) toward the Waterfront for lunch. Then you can proceed back to the Ship along the waterfront boardwalk in the afternoon.

Depending on the walking route you take, it is not uphill. I suggest walking to Barrington Street (about five minutes from the Port) and Spring Garden Road; proceed along Spring Garden to the Public Gardens then find your way to the Citadel. Start your return walk (all downhill) toward the Waterfront for lunch. Then you can proceed back to the Ship along the waterfront boardwalk in the afternoon.

Since the Citadel is 64 m above sea level and the Old Town Clock, 54 m, if you depart the cruise ship terminal which is close to sea level to walk to either, you will be walking up hill. Going by the most direct route will be steeper than by going the less direct route, but both are up hill.

SBtS

Tour the Maritime museum, it's a nice little collection, within easy walk o f wherre the ships dock. They have a wonder rful xolletion of ships' bell s and some memorabilia of items from titanic.

We have been To Halifaxa number of times and really enjoy this porrt.. We always walk ed down the boardwalk and have a good steamed lobster lunch along the way. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Since the Citadel is 64 m above sea level and the Old Town Clock, 54 m, if you depart the cruise ship terminal which is close to sea level to walk to either, you will be walking up hill. Going by the most direct route will be steeper than by going the less direct route, but both are up hill.

SBtS

I was suggesting a good round trip that would be a gradual climb for a Walking Tour. So many folk who come to Halifax do the Peggy's Cove trip and as a result miss many of the great sights and attractions that a good walking tour accomplishes.

• 1 month later...

We have been to Halifax and St. J a few times. Not "really" interested in going back, but we do want to cruise from our homeport of Manhattan again before Carnival pulls out. So we are thinking of the Portland/Boston/Canada cruise. I went to college in Beverly, MA so know Boston pretty well. LOVE all these suggestions for Portland and it is really pushing me to book this cruise! ;) Thanks to you all!

I was suggesting a good round trip that would be a gradual climb for a Walking Tour. So many folk who come to Halifax do the Peggy's Cove trip and as a result miss many of the great sights and attractions that a good walking tour accomplishes.

We did both. Walked all over in Halifax, including Citadel in the first half of the day, then had ship's tour to Peggy's Cove and Fairlawn cemetery after lunch.

• 1 month later...

Hi, I am having a difficult time deciding whether to stay in Halifax or go to Peggy's Cove. On my list for sure is to go to the Cemetery where members of the Titanic are buried. Is it easy to get the cemetery is we just stay in port without a car?

In your opinion, is Peggy's Cove worth a visit if we have never been to Novia Scotia?

Thank you,

LTTT

Stay in Halifax and take a tour to the cemetery. Call the hotel and ask them if they have any guides that can do this for you. If not, post on the Canada board, separate post, and ask for recommendations for a guided tour.

Hi, I am having a difficult time deciding whether to stay in Halifax or go to Peggy's Cove. On my list for sure is to go to the Cemetery where members of the Titanic are buried. Is it easy to get the cemetery is we just stay in port without a car?

In your opinion, is Peggy's Cove worth a visit if we have never been to Novia Scotia?

Thank you,

LTTT