Hurtigruten sales presentations

tring

We are considering Hurigruten and are booked into a presentation by them at a British hotel in the near future. The timing is going to be difficult for us given other commitments, so I am wondering if anyone else has been to one?

I would like to know if there is any real advantage in going to the presentation vs reading the brochure carefully and asking any other specific questions on this site. They also say "We will have exclusive offers on the day"- can anyone fill me in with what sort of offers may be available?

Edited by tring

We've been to a couple and both, despite free coffee and biscuits, have turned out to be very expensive as we booked trips once we had had our questions answered!

The 'exclusive' offers were a 5% discount if we booked direct with Hurtigruten within a couple of weeks of the presentation but that removes the opportunity for a discount through your travel agent.

See your point there!!! We have quite a bit planned for the next year as well, but perhaps we may be tempted by them at some stage. We have had to cancel our plans to go to the presentation this year anyway, (things have moved on over the last 24 hours). We may keep our eyes out to go to a presentation next year though.

Did you benefit from info gained from the presentation and chance to talk to their staff though? I know it is not possible now to get the discounts that used to be given by agents on the major cruise lines, but are some discounts still available through agents with Hurtigruten bookings, or were your bookings a while ago?

Hope you enjoyed the trips you had booked, so all was not completely lost.

Cheers

Edited by tring

We did get the information that we wanted but it only confirmed what our (excellent) travel agent had told us. Part of the reason for going was to see what the offers might be but they were more than matched by our travel agent. If you're interested, let me have your email address and I'll let you have contact details.

You don't say which Hurtigruten trip(s) you're looking at. If you're thinking of a coastal trip and an expedition, you should take the coastal trip first. That will give you 5% off the expedition trip which is worth much more in cash than 5% off a coastal trip!

Thanks for the replies. We were thinking coastal trip first for the reason you give and it would also give us a feel for the company.

We are unlikely to book until next year now because of family commitments.

Cheers

Try to bear in mind that Hurtigruten a operate 'fluid pricing' policy: the first cabins (perhaps just one!) are at a low(er) price and the others change, usually on an upward trajectory, to reflect sales. For that reason it's a good idea to keep an eye open for when they launch a new brochure if you intend booking a trip on Fram.

Also bear in mind that the price they quote on the phone is only applicable during that phone call. Say you'll think about it, and then call back later, and the price may well have gone up.

Great info from all, thank you.

I am considering the coastal round trip in December 2015 as my daughter turns 21 that year and I have a big birthday myself! We would be combining it with a trip to the UK to see my family.

I noticed on the website that there is a student discount. I have a British and Australian passport but at this point my daughter only has an Aussie one, although she is entitled to a British one. Does the student discount apply to overseas students?

Also the prices I see quoted are in euros, does anyone know if it is cheaper to book through US, UK or elsewhere?