dining in stateroom

quandrea

Is it possible to order from the regular main dining room dinner menu if staying in a regular stateroom? We don't like the dining room experience but the buffet gets tiresome. I know suites allow for complete in room dining.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes you can, or at least you can with Concierge class. I believe it's available with all other cabin classes, as well.

That's good news. When we were on millennium our steward said it was not allowed. How do I arrAnge it? Have you done it in concierge?

You can do it in any class. You request a menu from your steward or go get one from the MDR. BUT the food will be delivered all at once, so it is not a very pleasant experience, the food is not hot, and there is no place to put the giant tray, plate covers, etc. I thought it was a very dissatisfactory experience (NOT Celebrity's fault) and would not repeat it.

Who delivers the food (either from the MDR menu or typical room service menu)? I have seen on some threads that it is the cabin steward which I have not seen on other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Who delivers the food (either from the MDR menu or typical room service menu)? I have seen on some threads that it is the cabin steward which I have not seen on other lines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It was the steward when we did it on Solstice. Lots of extra work for them, we tipped nicely.

Dinner from the MDR can be ordered after approximately 6:00 p.m. Select Dining might actually start a bit earlier than that, but they won't start the room service delivery until around 6. It might be delivered by your room steward or assistant steward, it might be brought by someone else. Both were experienced on the same cruise, so it might have to do with how busy one department or the other is. You can take a look at the MDR menu posted outside the door to the dining room anytime after lunch and make note of your choices or you can ask your room steward to get the night's menu for you.

Of course, you can also order off the regular room service menu.

The tricky thing happens when you try to mix and match -- i.e. an appetizer from the MDR menu, and then a hamburger from the room service menu. They come from different kitchens, and the timing gets a bit iffy. Once they came in the right order, once the burger came before the appetizer. They were also delivered by different people in both cases.

the MDR dinner is available in all classes of staterooms. If you are in a suite, the MDR dinner will be delivered course by course. To the other staterooms it comes all at once on a tray.

That's good news. When we were on millennium our steward said it was not allowed. How do I arrAnge it? Have you done it in concierge?

I have done it in Concierge, and if memory serves, in Verandah class as well. It would not be available the first night if they have not yet had muster drill, but the only other reason I can think of if it would be related to a Noro outbreak. Even then, I'd think it would be safer than the buffet, so I can't fathom what the objection would actually be.

You can do it in any class. You request a menu from your steward or go get one from the MDR. BUT the food will be delivered all at once, so it is not a very pleasant experience, the food is not hot, and there is no place to put the giant tray, plate covers, etc. I thought it was a very dissatisfactory experience (NOT Celebrity's fault) and would not repeat it.

As I recall, for dinner, our steward presented our dinner in a "dress uniform"-- certainly was more classy than his usual garb. All platters were brought into the room and we were served appetizers on the balcony-- table was a little small, but we managed. Appetizers were served, and we were asked to go back to the cabin to get the other courses when we were done, which was fine. The food cooled a little, but it was very romantic and worth the effort.

If you can sail in an aft cabin on an M-class ship, there's a lot more room. DW and I hosted DW and BF for a couple of room service dinners and there was plenty of room, including a full-sized table. A little crowded, but we managed nicely.

This is excellent news. I was prepared to buy a sky suite and a sunset verandah but the cost for our two week cruise is twenty four thousand dollars. Air will run us four. Now I just have to decide between the family verandah or two connecting rooms. The second bath is appealing.

The FV is more than double the size of two staterooms, has a huge living/dining area and two separate bedrooms. To me, the extra bathroom does not outweigh the spaciousness of the FV and the ability t have 'hanging out' space. We had 4 adults and the bathroom was never an issue. We just decided on a shower rotation and t worked great. Plus you can shower in the spa area if needs be and there are public bathrooms everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by CathyCruises

DW and I hosted DW and BF for a couple of room service dinners

You, your wife and her boyfriend? Must have been a very interesting cruise :)

We've done it a couple of times and our steward has always delivered the meal. One time the steward and the assistant delivered because I guess we ordered too much. We didn't do it so much as wanting a romantic meal but really didn't want to go to the dining room on formal night but still wanted lobster. So, we had a complete lobster dinner in our cabin.

enjoy,

The FV is more than double the size of two staterooms, has a huge living/dining area and two separate bedrooms. To me, the extra bathroom does not outweigh the spaciousness of the FV and the ability t have 'hanging out' space. We had 4 adults and the bathroom was never an issue. We just decided on a shower rotation and t worked great. Plus you can shower in the spa area if needs be and there are public bathrooms everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have to agree. The fv staterooms cannot be beat in terms of space and value. We have stayed in them probably four times now. Knowing we can eat the mdr menu ensuite seals the deal for us. Dh dresses daily for work and really doesn't like that aspect of cruising. We do however like the ability to get around the world easily with our family. Looking forward to Russia and Scandinavia again. I'm pretty sure we will be in a fv.

• 1 month later...

If you are not in a suite, the food arrives as a set of covered dishes stacked up on trays. We usually receive two fully stacked trays and sometimes three.

We clear off the coffee table and move it close to the balcony door in advance so that the trays can be placed on the coffee table when they arrive.

If there is a third tray, we ask them to put it on the desk, which we also clear off in advance.

Then it takes us only a few steps between courses to carry dishes from the coffee table out to the table on the balcony as we want them, and to return the empty dishes to the trays on the coffee table when we are through with them.

If there is a dessert that should stay cold, we put it into the mini-fridge until we are ready for it. But if we want ice-cream, we go up to the buffet to get it later.

The hot foods are not going to be right-out-of-the-oven hot, so we do not order anything like egg dishes. But meat and fish dishes and hot or cold soups are usually fine if you leave them covered until you are ready for them.

It can vary somewhat depending on how many other room service dinners they are delivering on the same run and how far away from the galley your cabin is located and whether your cabin is one of the first or one of the last along the delivery route.

As mentioned, the meal is sometimes delivered by our own stateroom attendant and other times by someone else whom we may never see again, which is why we always have a tip ready.

At the end of the meal, we stack the empty dishes back on the trays and usually leave them out on the table on the balcony, being careful to tuck in any napkins or anything else that is loose so it won't blow away.

Please don't put dishes on the floor in the hallway, out of consideration for your fellow passengers as well as for the employees who have to remove them and clean up the spills.

Okay, I confess that we have sometimes preferred to do it that way even when we had a suite just to enjoy a private dinner without the butler hovering around, going in and out.

But it is kind of awkward trying to explain it to them and not hurt their feelings, making them feel unwanted when they are so eager to serve you the dinner course by course.

Edited by fleckle

We enjoy the option of ordering off the mdr menu. We have done it several times. We look at the menu posted at the entrance to the mdr after lunch time and make a note or two of what we want. Call it in at about 6.

We typically have an inside cabin and just clear off the table and desk ahead of service. This was great the day it rained on us for many hours on a tour and did not feel up to the dining room. All food was close to the right temp. Plates were picked up about 30 minutes after we finished.

Try it and see if it works for you.

Who do you call to get the dishes picked up? We have a port intensive cruise coming up in May and this might be an alternative if we are really exhausted some night. I wouldn't put them out in the hall (hate it when others do this!) but also don't like the idea of them sitting around the cabin all night.

I didn't know X did this. How did we miss it? This would be an excellent perk for breakfast & lunch. We enjoy having both on our balcony. A question for those in the know... for dinner is it possible to order room service to a regular, CC or Aqua balcony from a specialty restaurant for dinner? I know the regular fee would be charged, but I'm wondering if it's even possible. DH & I wouldn't take advantage of most of the suite perks, but we're more than willing to pay extra for better food quality.

You, your wife and her boyfriend? Must have been a very interesting cruise : )

Thanks for the laugh. :D DH & I both got a good laugh out of it.