Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

I don't know who at Celebrity had the not so brilliant idea that loud music will equal attracting a younger demographic, but you can't be more wrong. Music volume does seem to be part and parcel of the 16 to 25 year old males who pound music at the highest levels in their automobiles, but you'll not find that with the supposed 30-something people you claim to want to attract. There were a number of younger passengers on our Equinox cruise, and they were complaining about the volume of the music in several venues.

Let's talk honestly here. Whether you like it or not, Celebrity has set it demographics for many years. Just like HAL has the reputation of being for the walker set (and no matter how hard they've tried, they just can't shake that rep), Celebrity attracts the 50-somethings. Loud music will NOT bring on the demographic you seem to covet.

You want a younger demographic? Start by offering entertainment that will attract that group. The musical groups you have on board will not attract the younger passengers because they don't play music from that generation. Face it, the groups you hire play music from the generations of the 50 and 60-somethings. And, while some of your productions shows are good, that kind of entertainment won't attract younger passengers, for the most part.

So, what I'm saying is, stick that idea of super loud music attracting a younger passenger back in the drawer. It won't work. As another thread says, the Carnivalization of Celebrity is a bad idea, and you should continue to work on making Celebrity the best cruise line it can be, regardless of the age of your passengers.

The topic of loud music seems to be a hot topic on CC today. To those of you complaining, I wonder if you have been to a trendy restaurant or bar lately because honestly, it is loud everywhere and not just on cruise ships. The problem is endemic.

Here is a link from the Orlando Sentinel that illustrates the point:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-10-07/business/os-restaurants-too-loud-20131002_1_loud-restaurants-graffiti-junktion-tequila-bar

Edited by wolfpackmom

Loud music does nothing for this almost-30-something year old. Except give me a headache, and limit my hearing.

I've noticed in some higher end steak houses as well (namely Mastros) has added a DJ in the center of its dining room after 8pm. Who in their right mind wants to listen to obnoxiously loud music while trying to have a conversation over dinner? I don't want it in a restaurant at home, and I definitely don't want it what is supposed to be my relaxing vacation.

Ugh, this ridiculous subject again. I would like to thank everyone who speaks on behalf of Generation X (my group) or the Millennials on what we do and don't like when we are going on a cruise. Entertainment is not the reason I select a cruise line.

I believe that for many the complaints is not completely about the levels of music but the type of music. I'm sorry that the soft rock soothings of Celine Dion, Dan Folgelberg and the other soft treacle from the 60s & 70s can't be heard on every venue of the ship. For one, I'm appreciative that there is variety and I support Celebrity's initiative.

The topic of loud music seems to be a hot topic on CC today. To those of you complaining, I wonder if you have been to a trendy restaurant or bar lately because honestly, it is loud everywhere and not just on cruise ships. The problem is endemic.

Here is a link from the Orlando Sentinel that illustrates the point:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2013-10-07/business/os-restaurants-too-loud-20131002_1_loud-restaurants-graffiti-junktion-tequila-bar

I will not disagree with your point but just because LOUD is pervasive doesn't mean that it's enjoyable or right. Misery doesn't necessarily love company. :(

I used to be a poster who rolled her eyes when the topic of music volume came up. I thought it was exaggeration or worse yet, complaints by sticks-in-the-mud who didn't know how to have fun or enjoy a party vibe.

That was until last week when I experienced ear shattering volume on the Reflection that seemed to be designed for the express purpose of torturing the senses. It was noise pollution, not music. And that's what the talk is about--it's decibel level that's the topic du jour. There was a great variety of music on the Reflection, everything from classical piano one afternoon to acoustic guitar to techno to party band--you name it. Something to please everyone had we been allowed to listen without having our ears hurt or our teeth rattle. And by the way, there were people of all ages on the Reflection. It was definitely not a ship full of old Florida retirees, not by any means, so no one can say that everyone talking about this is a cranky old fart. Just in case anyone might think so.

Edited by dln929

I think many agree...but Celebrity management has convinced itself (and talks to itself) that they need to attract the 35-50 YO crowd who, in theory, have lots of money to spend onboard and Celebrity marketing has coined the phrase "modern luxury" which goes undefined but surely must be good. Celebrity has spent millions attracting a customer set, defining their niche....but in an effort to increase profit (I presume), they are now spending millions to redefine their niche....and they are redefining themselves to be like everyone else. I think they want to be RCL....but it seems to me that RCL passengers are migrating to Celebrity. To me, they have lost touch with reality....and are living in a bit of a bubble in Miami.

At the same time they are trying to attract younger folks, they are reducing the quality and musical offerings on board (I think I lost it when I found that they had hired a string trio with an accordianist on one cruise)...reducing staff to the point where you pour your own wine and have to search for a sommelier...or someone to get drinks for you in a bar. I think the food may finally be getting a little better, although desserts remain the low point of most meals....unless of course you like something baked in a sheet cake pan.

Having now completed my bashing, I'll say that our last cruise on the infinity had almost no loud music anywhere...and that included the martini bar. It was not a caribbean 5 day cruise...it was 14 days to the antarctica. Interestingly, it had a younger passenger set than most other cruises and no one missed the loud music...in fact it was applauded. It also was not a cheap cruise. So someone in Celebrity must have given the OK to turn down the music...or someone on board who is actually customer aware made the decision....and I applaud whoever bucked the trend. Unfortunately, they couldn't make up for the sheet cake desserts, but I digress.....

I think we all would agree that loud music might be OK in one bar (martini bar?) and around the pool....but keep the background music low in the restaurants, other bars and so on. Not sure Celebrity actually cares what we prefer....heck, we're the folks they don't want on their ships anymore...the ones who pay for aqua and suites but don't spend all that much above that. I hope that they are successful in this thrust.....for those younger folks who are interested....you can book an A2 cabin from Buenos Aires to Santiago and then B2B from Santiago to Miami for a mere $31000 (for two). I don't know too many 40 YO's who can do that....but hey...go for it Celebrity....perhaps someone will pay that much for "modern luxury"

Ugh, this ridiculous subject again. I would like to thank everyone who speaks on behalf of Generation X (my group) or the Millennials on what we do and don't like when we are going on a cruise. Entertainment is not the reason I select a cruise line.

I believe that for many the complaints is not completely about the levels of music but the type of music. I'm sorry that the soft rock soothings of Celine Dion, Dan Folgelberg and the other soft treacle from the 60s & 70s can't be heard on every venue of the ship. For one, I'm appreciative that there is variety and I support Celebrity's initiative.

And thank you for the stereotype of older people. As someone who grew up on AC/DC, Van Halen, Heavy Metal and the like, I know loud music. The music on Reflection last week was beyond concert loud. It drowned out voices 10 floors above and filtered into staterooms.

Variety is wonderfull, but so are options. If I choose to have a quiet relaxing vacation and Celebrity won't offer that, than I may have to go elsewhere.

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

... Face it, the groups you hire play music from the generations of the 50 and 60-somethings. And, while some of your productions shows are good, that kind of entertainment won't attract younger passengers, for the most part. ...

This is not true.

We are in the 50 to 60 age range and the music on Celebrity lately doesn't appeal to us much as it seems to be targeted at a much older, or more generic, audience than us! Now this doesn't relate the reported shift to DJ's by the pool and lounges as we've not experienced that yet.

When we first started sailing Celebrity, around 10 years ago, they had fantastic party bands from the Caribbean that played great, pop, rock and reggae style island music depending on the situation. We've not cruised this season but it's been years since we've thought a party band was "great" and last year on our Caribbean cruise they had absolutely no Island music at all.

When we started they also had good entertainers in Michael's club (not considering Perry Grant as he is a different sort of unique entertainer all together) as well as great acoustical guitar player/singers playing appropriate soft to medium acoustic rock. Over the years these have been very few and far between and I haven't seen entertainers in Michael's club in years other than Perry Grant on one particular ship each season.

I corresponded a bit via email with the entertainment staff over this as we were planning on sailing the Eclipse 14 night Caribbean again this year although we've since had to cancel. They told us that they thought we'd like some of the music on the Eclipse this year based on similar comments to the above, but also that the music on some of the 7 night sailings was geared toward a different demographic.

As for loud music in the lounges: The martini bar was always a favorite of ours for pre-dinner conversation and meeting new cruise friends. In recent years we've found it is often too loud to converse there and we've often abandoned it for that reason.

Call me old fashioned but I prefer pre-dinner conversation over drinks that is a little deeper than just repeatedly saying: "What?"

Edited by Lsimon

There are plenty of iPhone apps that measure decibels. When readings are consistently above 90 or so, it's too loud for conversation and borders on painful. Yesterday we showed a nearby officer the decibel readings taken during a performance in Sky Lounge. His eyes widened and he headed toward the sound booth. I hope they adjusted the level but we couldn't stand it long enough to stick around to see what happened. Will try to find him again and report back

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

Thank you....at least we are now reassured that celebrity is aware of concerns and is considering it a real issue. Hopefully, the result will be a better mix of venues and sound....offering something for most everyone rather than today's reported all or nothing approach.

Please keep us up to speed on any decisions...if you are allowed to do so.

I don't know who at Celebrity had the not so brilliant idea that loud music will equal attracting a younger demographic, but you can't be more wrong. Music volume does seem to be part and parcel of the 16 to 25 year old males who pound music at the highest levels in their automobiles, but you'll not find that with the supposed 30-something people you claim to want to attract. There were a number of younger passengers on our Equinox cruise, and they were complaining about the volume of the music in several venues.

Let's talk honestly here. Whether you like it or not, Celebrity has set it demographics for many years. Just like HAL has the reputation of being for the walker set (and no matter how hard they've tried, they just can't shake that rep), Celebrity attracts the 50-somethings. Loud music will NOT bring on the demographic you seem to covet.

You want a younger demographic? Start by offering entertainment that will attract that group. The musical groups you have on board will not attract the younger passengers because they don't play music from that generation. Face it, the groups you hire play music from the generations of the 50 and 60-somethings. And, while some of your productions shows are good, that kind of entertainment won't attract younger passengers, for the most part.

So, what I'm saying is, stick that idea of super loud music attracting a younger passenger back in the drawer. It won't work. As another thread says, the Carnivalization of Celebrity is a bad idea, and you should continue to work on making Celebrity the best cruise line it can be, regardless of the age of your passengers.

I hate to break it to all of you people who want to throw the term "Carnivalization" around....

But Carnival's entertainment far exceeds Celebrity's. And almost anyone out there who has traveled both lines will tell you this.

I choose to sail Celebrity and it is my favorite line, but its weakest point when I am comparing is the entertainment......

Carnival's comedy club, sing along piano bar, salsa/latin themed bars and production shows blow Celebrity's out of the water.

Before we start creating words to attack other cruise lines, maybe you should sail them, so that you know what the comparison actually means, and I know you did not coin the term, I read the other thread this morning.....

But given the fact that most people on these threads have been are chiming in with their dissatisfaction with the volume, and I have never experienced outrageously high volumes on Carnival, perhaps its the "Nouveau Celebritization" that you are up set with....don't pull down Carnival to make your point about Celebrity.

Edited by cherylroslyn

What I've been noticing in society in general is the change in what is background music. Growing up it was subtle music barely noticed in the background. These days it seems as if it's loud music that has to be talked over. It's not just the cruise ships, but I notice it in many restaurants as well.

They wonder why out hearing is going

Maybe they should think of sound/music the same as smoke. They very wisely agreed that it was terrible to subject everyone to the smoke of a few, so why subject everyone to the loud music preferred by a few?

People who want to listen to their own thumping sounds can bring their own ipods or whatever they're called, and have a variety of (moderate volume) music in each different venue, so you can seek out what you prefer (like they always used to!) The music on Celebrity used to be one of our favorite things. I'm completely dreading our next cruise.

I just laugh at this thought! My TEENAGERS don't even like loud music!! We have been on many cruises on RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL. Our first Celebrity was last year. Believe it or not my kids told me that it is their favorite cruise line and we are going again in April. It is their cruise line of choice and I can assure it wasn't loud music that wanted them going back for more. If Celebrity can appeal to teenagers with what they are currently doing why would they want to change??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The music in the Martini Bar on Equinox last month was so loud nobody in our group could carry on a conversation. Every night we complained. One night a "supervisor" came to speak to us and assured us the problem would be taken care of. It did; for about 15 minutes. We took turns complaining going down to Customer Relations to complain. They shrugged their shoulders and apologized. I wouldn't mind so much if it was late night. But our group of 15 friends met every single night in the martini bar before dinner. We'd gather around 7 p.m. The loud music was ridiculous! One time when I went to Customer Relations (as it was my turn to go and complain) I asked them if they were aware of all the chatter on Cruise Critic regarding this subject. They assured me they are. But no assurance they will address the problem.

Regardless, we did book the same ship/itinerary again for next February. I'm hoping by then they will rethink their decision to "appeal to a younger demographic."

We're aware. :)

Perhaps as a first step...while you are discussing, you could leave the decision on volume up to the personnel on the ship. Current position by those on the ship is "headquarters tells us what volume to play" and they claim no ability to change it.

It is sad when one speaks to an officer who says..."I can't make any decisions"....if so, you are very much overpaying that officer....and you clearly don't trust the ship personnel to make decisions. Not a good way to run any company.....

I hate to break it to all of you people who want to throw the term "Carnivalization" around....

But Carnival's entertainment far exceeds Celebrity's. And almost anyone out there who has traveled both lines will tell you this.

I choose to sail Celebrity and it is my favorite line, but its weakest point when I am comparing is the entertainment......

Carnival's comedy club, sing along piano bar, salsa/latin themed bars and production shows blow Celebrity's out of the water.

Before we start creating words to attack other cruise lines, maybe you should sail them, so that you know what the comparison actually means, and I know you did not coin the term, I read the other thread this morning.....

But given the fact that most people on these threads have been are chiming in with their dissatisfaction with the volume, and I have never experienced outrageously high volumes on Carnival, perhaps its the "Nouveau Celebritization" that you are up set with....don't pull down Carnival to make your point about Celebrity.

The Carnivalization comment is not meant as a comparison of the lines and their features, but it has become a term that's been used to mean downgrade. I've seen that term used by those who cruise Seabourn, Regent and even Silversea. When Carnival first took over Seabourn, there were many changes that the Seabourn regulars, including me at the time, did not care for and saw as a downgrade of the product, thus Carnivalization. Like I said, it's not meant to compare the two lines, but to indicate what some see as downgrading the Celebrity product. It's not meant to disparage Carnival, no matter how those who like that company feel about it.

And BTW, I've been on more Carnival cruises than I care to admit, along with RCI, Costa, Princess and nearly every other line out there, so please don't assume we don't know from where we speak.

Edited by kitty9

The music in the Martini Bar on Equinox last month was so loud nobody in our group could carry on a conversation. Every night we complained. One night a "supervisor" came to speak to us and assured us the problem would be taken care of. It did; for about 15 minutes. We took turns complaining going down to Customer Relations to complain. They shrugged their shoulders and apologized. I wouldn't mind so much if it was late night. But our group of 15 friends met every single night in the martini bar before dinner. We'd gather around 7 p.m. The loud music was ridiculous! One time when I went to Customer Relations (as it was my turn to go and complain) I asked them if they were aware of all the chatter on Cruise Critic regarding this subject. They assured me they are. But no assurance they will address the problem.

Regardless, we did book the same ship/itinerary again for next February. I'm hoping by then they will rethink their decision to "appeal to a younger demographic."

At the Martini Bar last week on the Reflection, we had the great satisfaction of absolutely shutting down the loud music because of our loud cheering for Edgar, the bartender, as he gave us a show of pouring 30 martinis at one time. The band could not compete with our loud cheers and clapping for about 30 seconds and fell silent. It was a great moment ;-))

At the Martini Bar last week on the Reflection, we had the great satisfaction of absolutely shutting down the loud music because of our loud cheering for Edgar, the bartender, as he gave us a show of pouring 30 martinis at one time. The band could not compete with our loud cheers and clapping for about 30 seconds and fell silent. It was a great moment ;-))

It's not a live band. It was piped in music.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app