River cruise app for iOS

ingo_e

Actually Apple surprised me, they did not need two weeks to review my app. Though this is great news, the problem is - I do not have any PR text yet ;)

Basically it does two things:

- Provide large scale offline maps as downloads for every city that has been used by any cruise line since 2011.

- Give you river levels to go. Yeah, we can't do anything about them, but I thought it might be assuring if you have the information available :)

As for March 10th it still has 1-2 minor bugs (like showing empty stations or showing graphs with a totally wrong scale when river levels drop a lot).

That's why I decided to give it away for free at the beginning. Please download, check & review it :)

Spoiler: Next version of the app review will have a currency converter + gps location as well. Oh yeah, and the bugs fixed :)

You'll get some more descriptions + the iTunes link at http://rivercruiseinfo.com/content/app

Enjoy, Ingo

Ingo_e,

The app looks good. I have a few questions.

1. Are the "waterlevels" depths in cm?

2. I assume that the maps do not work with an iPhone's GPS function. Is that right?

3. If I've downloaded a map and decide that I want to delete it to save memory, how do I do that?

Thanks for all your hard work and for putting this out for FREE!!

George

1. Are the "waterlevels" depths in cm?

2. I assume that the maps do not work with an iPhone's GPS function. Is that right?

3. If I've downloaded a map and decide that I want to delete it to save memory, how do I do that?

1.) Yes

2.) Showing your GPS position is implemented for the next version. I just wanted to get it out asap for this season :)

3.) swipe horizontally over a map, a delete button appears :)

Great job and there is a lot of great information here all in one place. Just downloaded the app and was busily loading maps of the cities we will visit on our upcoming cruise. Several times, it would indicate that the map had downloaded but had not downloaded all of the data. When I touched on the map, the app would lock up and I could not even delete it. Eventually, I deleted the app, reloaded it and after every map download, I "killed" the app and restarted it and did not have any problem.

Again, great job and I look forward to using it in a couple of months!!

Congrats, I'm going to give it a try, even though its a while before we cruise! Are you considering an ipad app too? I usually dont' take the iphone 5 to Europe, since I don't have a plan, and I just use the ipad.

I am getting a message:

ix.applicationnotcompatible.sftwareupdatedescription

Hope one day I will be able to use it!

Thanks so much for the feedback..

Great job and there is a lot of great information here all in one place. Just downloaded the app and was busily loading maps of the cities we will visit on our upcoming cruise. Several times, it would indicate that the map had downloaded but had not downloaded all of the data. When I touched on the map, the app would lock up and I could not even delete it. Eventually, I deleted the app, reloaded it and after every map download, I "killed" the app and restarted it and did not have any problem.

Thats fixed in the upcoming version, I just downloaded like 30 maps on an iphone 4s - worked fine.

Congrats, I'm going to give it a try, even though its a while before we cruise! Are you considering an ipad app too? I usually dont' take the iphone 5 to Europe, since I don't have a plan, and I just use the ipad.

well, ipad emulates the iphone, so it should work but does not use the large retina screen.. but no, it is not a genuine ipad version ..

Then: As I am working as a guide for a few years now and consider myself to be a bit of a tech freak - you don't need a data plan. Actually I designed it exactly for the river cruise situation where you have daily wifi available on board :)

- Maps can be downloaded while still @home_country via 3G (don't recommend, but possible). Once they are on the device they do not generate any traffic at all.

- GPS (coming in the new version) does not need a data plan - thanks to the us army. They built it without a backchannel to the satellite so that no 3rd party could track the position..

- Updating river levels via 3G is disabled by default in order to avoid roaming costs :)

Btw, new version submitted today, offers GPS position IF you are on the map (like on the ios map app). And a currency calculator is added, every european curreny + AUD, CAD, NZD, USD :)

Thanks so much for the feedback..

- GPS (coming in the new version) does not need a data plan - thanks to the us army. They built it without a backchannel to the satellite so that no 3rd party could track the position..

Btw, new version submitted today, offers GPS position IF you are on the map (like on the ios map app). And a currency calculator is added, every european curreny + AUD, CAD, NZD, USD :)

The present version is good. The new one sounds fantastic! The new features are the ones I was planning to request.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to push this up once again, as the version for smartphones and tablets with Android OS is available now.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.appdream.rivercruise

same features as the iphone version: maps, waterlevels, currency calculator.

Please report any bugs to: ingo@rivercruiseinfo.com

Are there any other features you'll consider useful? E.g. I thought of placing markers on the maps or maybe a compass on the maps?

Enjoy!

Archived