Help! How to Keep Gear Dry?

bruceg

Greetings,

My wife and I are headed for Alaska in August, and I understand it's the rainy time of year. Any suggestions on how to keep camera gear dry while out and about? I just purchased a Canon SX50 HS for many reasons: it's compact in size, 50x optical zoom (no need to carry additional lenses), and gread video capabilities (no need to carry a video camera).

I was thinking maybe a small, water-tight bag or pouch. I'll most likely be carrying a daypack as well (for additional clothing, shopping, etc.), so maybe suggestions on waterproof packs?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Bruce

Greetings,

My wife and I are headed for Alaska in August, and I understand it's the rainy time of year. Any suggestions on how to keep camera gear dry while out and about? I just purchased a Canon SX50 HS for many reasons: it's compact in size, 50x optical zoom (no need to carry additional lenses), and gread video capabilities (no need to carry a video camera).

I was thinking maybe a small, water-tight bag or pouch. I'll most likely be carrying a daypack as well (for additional clothing, shopping, etc.), so maybe suggestions on waterproof packs?

Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Bruce

I have a Canon SX40 HS IS . I just carry it under my coat when ashore regardless of weather.:cool: In Alaska you won't have time to keep it covered. Too many good photographic opportunities.

I've been using a Sea to Summit dry bag. I got mine at REI several years ago for about 20 bucks. Works great. There are several sizes. You might also consider getting a rain sleeve for the camera. I agree with Kamloops, my camera is only in the bag a short time as the photo opportunities are all over the place. Still nice to have.

Yeah, you're both right about keeping it on my person. I'll keep it under my rain jacket, if I happen to be wearing it. My daypack should fit under it as well.

Thanks for the wake-up!

Archived