Azores

urlaub

Ponta Delegada depends on the type of wheelchair. Is it manual or electric? If it is manual, you should be able to get into the center of town where you would see São Sebastião Main Church, Portas da Cidade, and the Town Hall Building Building. Going up the hill would be a challenge for a manual chair. On the hill side, we are going to visit José do Canto Garden again (it is beautiful) and then stop at the Sant`Ana or Jácome Correia Palace and Centurion de Matriz, both of which we did not see on our previous trip. On the return we will stop at Padre Sena de Freitas Garden and the Caloura Monastery, we have not been to these two sights either. I am not aware of any accessible tours. We both use mobility scooters and see things on our own.

Cannot offer any suggestions for Horta.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

We were in Ponta Delgada two years ago on a transatlantic. It is a beautiful island. Some folks that we met through the roll call here on CC had arranged for an all day tour of the island that included a traditional meal in someone's home. We decided to join them. Although I use an electric scooter, I can transfer into a van and my husband was able to fold my scooter up and put it in the back of the van.

I can not say enough good things about this tour operator. The driver went out of his way to make my trip easy and fun. When we arrived at the private home for lunch, it turned out that the dining room was up a flight of stairs. No problem. The homeowner had set up a private dining room in the garden for us that was gorgeous. We were ready to eat there but several folks with the tour begged us to eat with them and to let me be carried up the stairs. This embarrassed me but I relented and I was very happy that I did. The house was gorgeous and the hospitality could not be surpassed.

Here is the contact information for the tour operator.

AVA- Agencia de Viagens dos Azores, Lda

http://www.avaviptours.com

Lisa Ringelberg, AVA Tour consultant (American speaker)

email is ring7lisa@hotmail.com

or: lisarigh7@hotmail.com

Tele: 966773286

Have a great time.

Kate

• 3 weeks later...