ATN out of LAX...HELP PLEASE!!!

IslandRetrievers

Booked our PG cruise through a travel agent and have yet to get an itinerary. In the meantime, I was just talking to the couple that is traveling with us (also booked through the same travel agent). We're leaving on the April 28, 7 night sailing and our travel agent booked all of us on a red eye leaving LAX on FRIDAY, April 27!!!!! I had assumed that we'd be leaving on the day of our cruise, getting into Tahiti in the evening and going directly to the ship. Now, through our friends, I learn we leave the night before and arrive at 5AM. I'm in a bit of a panic...I have childcare arranged for the dates of the cruise..April 28 through May 6. My husband can't take that Friday (27th) off of work and we already have our childcare arranged as if we were leaving on Saturday. I'm just really frustrated!!! Is leaving LAX on that Saturday, the day of the cruise no longer an option for PG cruisers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Booked our PG cruise through a travel agent and have yet to get an itinerary. In the meantime, I was just talking to the couple that is traveling with us (also booked through the same travel agent). We're leaving on the April 28, 7 night sailing and our travel agent booked all of us on a red eye leaving LAX on FRIDAY, April 27!!!!! I had assumed that we'd be leaving on the day of our cruise, getting into Tahiti in the evening and going directly to the ship. Now, through our friends, I learn we leave the night before and arrive at 5AM. I'm in a bit of a panic...I have childcare arranged for the dates of the cruise..April 28 through May 6. My husband can't take that Friday (27th) off of work and we already have our childcare arranged as if we were leaving on Saturday. I'm just really frustrated!!! Is leaving LAX on that Saturday, the day of the cruise no longer an option for PG cruisers? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The only flight I see leaving on 4/28 on ATN leaves LAX at 4:30PM and arrives at 10PM. Seems like that might be cutting things close?

The only flight I see leaving on 4/28 on ATN leaves LAX at 4:30PM and arrives at 10PM. Seems like that might be cutting things close?

We came in from Hawaii on the weekly Hawaiian Airlines flight from Honolulu to Papeete on a Saturday night, and we were assured the ship would be held for us (?!) We coordinated with our travel agent (and got everything in writing), and thus was so even though we didn't get to the ship until midnight. DO take the package from PG that includes transfers to the ship and back to the airport. We were met at the airport in Papeete and whisked to the ship. Would undoubtedly have been a problem trying to do that on our own late at night.

If all else fails and PG has not reserved any seats on the LAX/Papeete flight on April 28th, check if there is still time to refuse the air portion of the trip and use the air credit to book your own flight on the 28th ( if space provides). Your travel agent should be able to help you on this. It may cost a bit more, but your schedule seems more important at this point.

They obviously can't take this flight as PG leaves in the afternoon. So, it appears their flight the day before is their only option.

They obviously can't take this flight as PG leaves in the afternoon. So, it appears their flight the day before is their only option.

We based our observations on the PG cruise we took last year, which only started boarding at 3 p.m. and wasn't due to depart until 10 p.m.

In rethinking things though, if PG is booking their passengers strictly on the ATN flight the night before, it obviously sounds like they don't want to wait for late passengers any more. In any event, and if you haven't since last you wrote, get with your travel agent and iron out every detail so there are no more surprises.

I wasn't sure what was or was not possible; I had assumed that the ship actually left Tahiti later in the evening, so I thought it might be physcially possible for them to make the ship before it left. Seems to me I recall reading some older posts on here where people arrived at PPT nearly immediately before the ship departed. Not how I would plan my trip though.

Hello,

In the latter part of last year, Air Tahiti Nui suspended the long-standing 1pm departure originating in Los Angeles on Saturdays. As a result the only flight operating on Saturday is a flight that originates in Paris and on which Air Tahiti Nui does not make cruise guest space available. They do offer an overnight flight from Los Angeles late Friday night that arrives in Papeete early Saturday morning. Paul Gauguin Cruises had no choice but to reschedule the flight times for the air/sea program which includes a hotel room upon arrival for air/sea guests prior to their transfer to the ship for embarkation. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Paul Gauguin Cruises.

Hello,

In the latter part of last year, Air Tahiti Nui suspended the long-standing 1pm departure originating in Los Angeles on Saturdays. As a result the only flight operating on Saturday is a flight that originates in Paris and on which Air Tahiti Nui does not make cruise guest space available. They do offer an overnight flight from Los Angeles late Friday night that arrives in Papeete early Saturday morning. Paul Gauguin Cruises had no choice but to reschedule the flight times for the air/sea program which includes a hotel room upon arrival for air/sea guests prior to their transfer to the ship for embarkation. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Paul Gauguin Cruises.

Sounds like a PERFECTLY reasonable accommodation to me! We flew in last summer on an overnight and really liked the time to decompress before boarding in the afternoon:cool: (instead of late at night).

We booked our air through the PG in Dec. Were on the overnight also..The PG booked us into the Intercontinental until boarding....and included a buffet breakfast at no extra cost ...which was really great as the bkfst ATN served before landing was not very good. I was going to enjoy the pool but fell asleep instead..( I don't sleep well on planes) . It worked out great as we were rested & ready to board at 3. So unless you are spending a few pre cruise days in the islands this is the best way to go.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the insight! We contacted our travel agent and she assured us that the red eye was the only option. Luckily, our babysitter (my mother-in-law) hadn't booked her flights yet so she's now coming in a few days earlier. Since the flight doesn't leave until almost midnight, my husband will be able to work an almost full day so I think we're set. I don't sleep on planes so I imagine I'll be tired once we get there but I can nap at the hotel until boarding! Yay! Honestly, I'm going to Tahiti...I have zero reason to complain about anything! :) Thanks again!

Archived