Private Meet and Greets

cruise2727

Does anyone know if there is a way to pay extra to have private meet and greets with the Disney Princess's? I know you can do tea with Cinderella or whatever that is called but I was looking for something private for my two daughters. Thanks.

Exactly as above--a couple years ago it was $500 for 30 minutes with a furry character. Don't know if they are available with a princess, but I don't know why not. They will be in a "public" room reserved for you, (not in your stateroom) and the character attendant will be present throughout.

Thanks for the info. Ya, I figured it would be around $500 - $1,000. Still waiting to hear back from Disney if we can do it with the Princesses or at least 1 or 2.

I will post what they tell me in case anyone in the future is interested.

Looked into this a little over a year ago.

Cost for face characters was $1000 per 30 mins per character including setup time (so figure 20-25 actual minutes). $550 for costume characters (it takes a lot more time to prep a face character)

Looked into this a little over a year ago.

Cost for face characters was $1000 per 30 mins per character including setup time (so figure 20-25 actual minutes). $550 for costume characters (it takes a lot more time to prep a face character)

A friend of mine is a face character. Depending on which of the two she is playing it takes a bare minimum of 35 minutes to get ready--make up, wig, and clothing--and that's with rushing and someone helping. Disney expects her to be in costuming an hour before it's time to go onstage at the start of each shift. When she gets a break between shows she needs about 20-30 minutes to freshen makeup, re-wig, and get dressed, depending on how hot and humid it is outside. The amount of detail involved is pretty staggering.

Yup. Hence the higher pricing (as opposed to putting on a suit and head). Also while the furry costumes cost more to produce, they are designed for multiple users in a size range, while the princess dresses are fitted to individuals and makeup etc is constantly being used.

A friend of mine is a face character. Depending on which of the two she is playing it takes a bare minimum of 35 minutes to get ready--make up, wig, and clothing--and that's with rushing and someone helping. Disney expects her to be in costuming an hour before it's time to go onstage at the start of each shift. When she gets a break between shows she needs about 20-30 minutes to freshen makeup, re-wig, and get dressed, depending on how hot and humid it is outside. The amount of detail involved is pretty staggering.

Yup. Hence the higher pricing (as opposed to putting on a suit and head). Also while the furry costumes cost more to produce, they are designed for multiple users in a size range, while the princess dresses are fitted to individuals and makeup etc is constantly being used.

Actually the most expensive costume is Belle's gold ball gown.

That is, the one she wears on stage, NOT the one she wears for Meet and Greets. And the second most expensive is Cindy's wedding dress in Twice Charmed.

The Meet and Greet outfits are much less costly and more "wear resistant" as they are constantly exposed to hugs, etc.

That is' date=' the one she wears on stage, NOT the one she wears for Meet and Greets. And the second most expensive is Cindy's wedding dress in Twice Charmed.

The Meet and Greet outfits are much less costly and more "wear resistant" as they are constantly exposed to hugs, etc.[/quote']

Oh definitely! That's why I said the gold gown rather than the yellow one. ;)

Oh definitely! That's why I said the gold gown rather than the yellow one. ;)

That dress is incredible. I've sewn since I was 4 years old and have done some theatrical costumes. I was fortunate to have been able to see the gold gown "up close" once. The skirt is made of (I think) 8 layers of gold silk with exquisite lace work, etc. And of course, they have at least 2 of them on the ship at all times. I was told it is valued at $50K. Of course, I have no idea how they do that valuation--material + time is part of it, but that doesn't explain the amount quoted.

I heard $10K which is believable. $50K seems quite a stretch, even accounting for Disney "inflation." I haven't seen the one on the ship up close, but I have seen the one worn in the Studios stage show and the Castle stage show up close and agree that they are exquisite.

Each person who plays a face character is limited to two characters (or less if they can't fulfill the "look" required for additional characters) and has their own wardrobe tailored exactly to their body.

They are held to very specific weight/height and grooming standards. My friend slathers SPF 50 on daily and covers herself head to toe at the beach. She wears oversized sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat--Princesses can't have tan lines and even a change in skin tone due to tanning is frowned upon. It truly takes over their lives, but the people who play face characters are very high in the Disney cast pecking order, and that experience on a resume will get them dream auditions.

Did you know that face characters need to learn the "voice" as well? Most of them have a very different natural speaking voice than the one you hear when meeting them. the most coveted face character role is Tinkerbell--the one who flies from the castle. Full shift pay for an hour of work! Very few can meet the requirements of a specific weight with only a five pound range, no fear of heights, and the ability to hand over hand back up the wire to the top if they get stuck. Of the ones who even get considered, 99% fail the upper body strength test!

One other thing--they can't play different characters on the same day unless they go to a different park. So Cinderella in the castle show can't play Ariel for a meet and greet later that day. Unless she goes to the Studios. They will cancel a meet and greet or remove a section of the parade rather than break this rule!

Edited by ducklite

My info is from the ships rather than the parks, but is consistent with everything you say. On the ship, they sign a contract where they agree to no change in appearance during the length of the contract and the biggest issue is tanning as they are allowed to hang out at the pools when not working. This is for the theatre actors as well as the characters.

And you are right--Disney on a resume gets at least an interview/audition to almost any other job they want later in life. And for people who have done the college program, even 20 years later, that's the topic of conversation at interviews.

One other thing--they can't play different characters on the same day unless they go to a different park. So Cinderella in the castle show can't play Ariel for a meet and greet later that day. Unless she goes to the Studios. They will cancel a meet and greet or remove a section of the parade rather than break this rule!

We came across what must have been an exception to this rule in 2008. We had breakfast with princesses and Mary Poppins in Norway and saw Belle in the afternoon in France and she remembered us! I cried of course. We couldn't figure it out until we looked at our pictures later. Mary Poppins and Belle were twins! ;)

Though $50,000 does seem a bit overly high perhaps, but about 15 years ago, my DD#1 was in college as a vocal performance major and performed with our local opera company. Phantom of the Opera's MusicBox touring group was in town for several weeks and she was allowed to do a backstage meet/greet. And I was allowed to accompany her. :)

I recall seeing some of the lovely, lovely costumes (Phantom is my VERY favorite broadway play!), and the one Christine Daae' wore in the Don Juan Triumphant scene they stated cost $15,000. And that was 15 years ago, and it certainly was not by any means the most elaborate costume Christine wears in the play. Who knows? Inflation? :eek:

Moki'smommy, I think it is very cool that you have sewn since you were a youngster. Very, very few young women learn this art any more. I myself can sew only quite simple clothing. :(

Disney has some very weird inter-company workings that might explain the inflated costs. DCL is the only division that has always made a profit, so that might be part of it.

Bottom line--DCL can't develop a stage show, have costumes made, etc. all on their own. They have to have the costumes made by the costuming department in the parks and "purchase" them from that department. It happens in all sorts of other situations/departments too. And those departments inflate the prices because that makes their bottom line look better. Odd system, but obviously it works for them. My guess is that's where the figure comes from. And when a cast's contract is up or a show is ended, all the costumes are returned to the costume department in the parks where they might be stored, refitted for another cast member, etc. Similarly, small repairs are done on the ship but for any major work the costume will be returned to the costume department.

I've always had a "jealousy" of Disney costuming. They are so big that they can go to a fabric manufacturer and have amazing stuff custom made for their designs. The rest of us are limited to what we can find to purchase...and those sources keep getting harder to find as stores close, etc. Ah well, my daughter grew up in some totally amazing dresses and costumes.

The biggest cost in a furry costume is the head!

They cost an absolute fortune, and get sent off the ships and replaced with refurbished (if possible) ones periodically.

They cannot have any blemish or imperfection. Obviously cannot be washed, and just have to be disinfected and cleansed after each use.

If the performer has a protein spill in one, all they can really do is clean it as best they can and manifest it off the ship back to shoreside WDW costuming to be refurbished.

ex techie

One of the job functions I had with a previous employer was managing the company mascot costumes. They ran us $3000-7000 each depending on a few factors and there was one company in the entire country who can clean them--at a cost of $300-500 per costume. That didn't include any repairs, just cleaning.

This is correct.

That dress is incredible. I've sewn since I was 4 years old and have done some theatrical costumes. I was fortunate to have been able to see the gold gown "up close" once. The skirt is made of (I think) 8 layers of gold silk with exquisite lace work' date=' etc. And of course, they have at least 2 of them on the ship at all times. I was told it is valued at $50K. Of course, I have no idea how they do that valuation--material + time is part of it, but that doesn't explain the amount quoted.[/quote']

I think moki'smommy was probably told the total cost of the two dresses by mistake by the CM.

It was known to me that Belle's dress was $25k so that would explain the $50k with the understudies dress.

I heard $10K which is believable. $50K seems quite a stretch, even accounting for Disney "inflation." I haven't seen the one on the ship up close, but I have seen the one worn in the Studios stage show and the Castle stage show up close and agree that they are exquisite.

Each person who plays a face character is limited to two characters (or less if they can't fulfill the "look" required for additional characters) and has their own wardrobe tailored exactly to their body.

As this is about DCL, and not WDW or DL, the above does not apply to the ships.

As they have limited cast members, many face Characters appear as different performers during each show.

And you may spot one of them up on deck during a show, or just relaxing, or off out on a port day. The parks have the benefit of the Cast never having to see the Guest when they are off duty, unlike the ships.

Disney has some very weird inter-company workings that might explain the inflated costs. DCL is the only division that has always made a profit' date=' so that might be part of it.

Bottom line--DCL can't develop a stage show, have costumes made, etc. all on their own. They have to have the costumes made by the costuming department in the parks and "purchase" them from that department. It happens in all sorts of other situations/departments too. And those departments inflate the prices because that makes their bottom line look better. Odd system, but obviously it works for them. My guess is that's where the figure comes from. And when a cast's contract is up or a show is ended, all the costumes are returned to the costume department in the parks where they might be stored, refitted for another cast member, etc. Similarly, small repairs are done on the ship but for any major work the costume will be returned to the costume department. [/quote']

This above is totally correct and accurate.

The frisbee in Herc cost $500!

Just for the Herc logo sticker, minus the $1.99 purchase of it.

Each department within Disney basically overcharges each other to booster their profits and bottomline. They are different business units and have no shame about overcharging another.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

One of the job functions I had with a previous employer was managing the company mascot costumes. They ran us $3000-7000 each depending on a few factors and there was one company in the entire country who can clean them--at a cost of $300-500 per costume. That didn't include any repairs, just cleaning.

Furry costumes are cleaned (either washable, or dry cleanable) on the ship.

Manifesting anything off the ship is a major PITA with paperwork and or return times.

Minor repairs are made onboard by the wardrobe Tech's. Anything major has to be manifested off and send shoreside.

I'm sure this head was sent away for repair

ex techie

Great recovery as far as possible IMO by the performer.

No doubt some idiot will have tried to sue them for traumatising their kids, or themselves.

Most likely why they haven't introduced the animatronic mouth heads to the ships. Too labor intensive to keep working with limited crew to service them.

It will happen one day though!

ex techie