Does my hubby really have to purchase a tux?

Painter

My husband has a dark suite and a sports coat. Does he have to buy a tux to wear to be let into the dining rooms on a formal night?

This is in regard to a cruise on Queen Victoria.

Any dark suit and tie will be fine (dark jacket and tie is the general rule). You will not be turned away from any of the dining rooms or treated any differently. Also other passengers will not be offended or make any issue with it.

There is the point, however that most other gentlemen will be in dinner suits/tuxs so he may feel a little like the odd one out.

I do not know about Cunard, but other lines have rental tuxedoes (and ladies formalwear, too) He rent a tuxedo on the ship. This way, he'll have all of the accessories he would need (ties, shirts, cummerbund, etc.) and wouldn't have to pack it. Although, you may find that purchasing a tuxedo can be a very good investment.

On our QM2 trip a few weeks back there were more men wearing tuxedos than not.

--Judy

Although I went ahead and bought a tux and was pleasantly surprised at the number of tuxes on my recent QM2 sailing, I don't think its an absolute. A dark suit is fine and I've seen many with those as well. I know the money adds up everytime you go and make a purchase and if you don't think he'll be wearing the tux ever again it may be an expensive purchase.

In addition a sports jacket and dark pants with a tie is also fine for the semi-formal nights.

I think your husband will be okay.

David

My DH brought 2 tuxes but on the 3rd formal night he wore a dark jacket and a tie because he just didn't feel like getting that dressed up again. So, although they look so nice, it isn't necessary to go to the expense if you don't want to.:cool:

I confess I just love seeing my husband in a tux when I am in a long gown. There is something magical about strolling the ship with others similarly dressed that just adds to the experience. But, will he feel out of place? I doubt it. It's too early to know how much the dress codes will be adhered to on QV but on QM2, 2 weeks ago, it was far more tuxes than suits. I've heard the rentals can be quite costly so if you plan on cruising again, a purchase of one might be more cost effective, and truly, you will LOVE seeing him in it and he will probably secretly think he looks like James Bond!;)

Cheers, Penny...still wishfully "Live from the QM2"

Painter, when we were on QM2, DH rented a tuxedo and brought it with him (we drove to the pier so didn't have the issue of packing a tux). He paid about $100 for an 11 day rental and it came with 2 shirts and all accessories. A tux is not mandatory on formal nights - only suggested - but you will find that Cunard ships tend to be a bit more formal than some of the other lines (especially on the longer voyages). If your DH has a nice dark suit that would work as well.

Have a wonderful trip on QV...please promise to come back and tell us all about it!

This is just my personal opinion, and others may not agree, but I say spend the money and buy a tux. I bought one for our Dec. 9th QM2 cruise, and am very glad I did. On the one formal night where I opted to wear my business suit instead, I felt very uncomfortable. Of course, it is a personal thing. I saw several other men who were also in regular suits and they seemed perfectly fine. I did notice that on the two other formal nights when I wore the dress suit, I was very comfortable in it. I would not have thought that dressing up could make one feel that way, but it did. Why not give it a try?

Sincerely,

Don

Does he have to buy a tux to wear to be let into the dining rooms on a formal night?

No, of course not. But, given the chance, I'll bet he will enjoy dressing up as much as you do. And you can buy a tux, shirts, etc. for the cost of two or three rentals. Don't rent on board, I've read somewhere on these boards that you can buy for less than it costs to rent once on the QM2.

A dark suit is certainly alright. When I see a man in a tux I think wow isn't that nice and when I see a man in a nice dark suit I think that he obviously doesn't own a tux but I APPRECIATE the fact he has made the effort to show respect to his fellow travellers. Same goes for women, you don't have to be dressed to the nines in an expensive outfit. Please just do your best and smile and have a good time.

If this type of trip has appeal for you, it may be worth your while to invest in owning a tux. I bought one from our local tux rental store (they sell either new or used) for under $200. Not every one will have patent leather shoes, black oxfords seem to work fine. I think tux rental on QM 2 will cost at least this much; perhaps someone else can verify that. It's a lot of fun and you will enjoy yourself

Rick J

My husband has a dark suite and a sports coat. Does he have to buy a tux to wear to be let into the dining rooms on a formal night?

The answer is no.

But, in common with others, I think he will regret it if you don't. As only the Maiden Voyages have been booked so far, my guess is that they'll be dressier than the norm.

You'll find a lot on men on QE2 wear a dark suit for informal nights - I certainly do and I'm far from the only one. On "Casual" nights you'll find a lot of men in jacket and tie. As QV is supposed to replace the QE2 in the Cunard fleet, one presupposes that the dress codes will tend to replicate those on QE2.

Having said that, Casual/Elegant Casual has been announced for the QE2 transatlantic next month, so levels of formality have definitely lowered themselves. At least, officially!

Since you have some time, tell your DH to check out purchasing a tux on e-bay. When our son was to be married my DH needed to purchase a new suit which he knew he wouldn't wear much. He looked on e-bay and purchased a classic Ralph Lauren tux for a very reasonable price from a tailor in NYC. He was also able to purchase additional shirts in Marshalls. It was certainly a great investment.

To be fair, there will be some people who will look down at you for not wearing a tux. Cunard is a great line in terms of amenties, food and service. However, there is a decent minority of snobs aboard who make snide comments about people not wearing tuxes in dining rooms as well as wearing jeans during the day.

We ran into a couple of them at our table and luckily I was able to make some very nice comebacks. Its not a big deal for me, but if you don't have a thick skin, it is something you should consider

ONLY IF HE WANTS TO GET LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, there will be some people who will look down at you for not wearing a tux. Cunard is a great line in terms of amenties, food and service. However, there is a decent minority of snobs aboard who make snide comments about people not wearing tuxes in dining rooms as well as wearing jeans during the day.

We ran into a couple of them at our table and luckily I was able to make some very nice comebacks. Its not a big deal for me, but if you don't have a thick skin, it is something you should consider

I have to say that at no time did I ever get any sense of this kind of behavior anywhere on the ship...and we were EVERYWHERE.

Cheers, penny

• 2 weeks later...
However, there is a decent minority of snobs aboard who make snide comments about people not wearing tuxes in dining rooms as well as wearing jeans during the day.

I'm another one who has never heard those "snide" comments:confused: Could you be mistaking mild humour for them?

DH and I went looking at tuxes this weekend. Found some decent (not marvelous, not horrible) ones at a men's discount warehouse marked down to $119. Add a shirt, tie, vest and you can probably get out under $175. And be able to wear it again. Perhaps they'll put them on sale even more now that it's after New Year's!

M

No, hubby doesn't have to buy a tux...doesn't have to wear one, either. And I'll bet you'd like him to look as good as you will on his arm in your evening finery - so get him the tux.

If cost is an issue, I bought a 100% wool tux with accessories for $119 at Uniformalwearhouse.com that is highly satisfactory. You couldn't rent for that. Extra shirts are also inexpensive, and I took enough to avoid laundering. They were very fast in sending my order, and extremely helpful with an exchange.

A few suggestions: Get a simple BLACK tux. Wear a plain or pleated white shirt - avoid the Tom Jones pastel and ruffle "wedding costume" look. A vest adds a special touch. And no cravats or neckties - just a nice black bow tie.

If hubby's just balking at getting dressed for dinner, tell him he can stay home and shovel snow comfortably in his bowling shirt. Honestly, make it part of the fun. I hate suits, but I love to get dressed aboard ship.

Quote from R'man: If hubby's just balking at getting dressed for dinner, tell him he can stay home and shovel snow comfortably in his bowling shirt.

I had to smile at this comment...hubby shovelling snow in tropical Queensland, Australia would really mean he needs a holiday. *giggle*

However I get what you are all saying. A tux is not required but it would be nice.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived