Power outlets by the bedside - CPAP machines

gnomie1

I have noticed that there are no power outlets anywhere near the bedside. That is one of the reasons that my parents had to stop cruising on Regent because my Dad used an oxygen concentrator at night and there was no place to plug it in. The battery only provided five hours so that was not the solution. I have an older laptop computer that I travel with that no longer has any battery capability so I like to plug it in and catch up with my journal before falling asleep, which I cannot do while on ship.

I am very curious - what do people do who use CPAP machines? It seems to me that more and more people are using these machines to overcome sleep apnea, so it isn't something that one can really do without.

gnomie :)

I have noticed that there are no power outlets anywhere near the bedside. That is one of the reasons that my parents had to stop cruising on Regent because my Dad used an oxygen concentrator at night and there was no place to plug it in. The battery only provided five hours so that was not the solution. I have an older laptop computer that I travel with that no longer has any battery capability so I like to plug it in and catch up with my journal before falling asleep, which I cannot do while on ship.

I am very curious - what do people do who use CPAP machines? It seems to me that more and more people are using these machines to overcome sleep apnea, so it isn't something that one can really do without.

Pretty simple actually. I use a CPAP and carry an 18ft extension cord with me every place I take my CPAP as this also occurs in Motels. Simply plug it in the closest outlet before going to bed and unplug it in the AM for the day to avoid having the cord on the floor during the day. The end of the cord has three outlets so other things can be plugged in bedside.

I'm actually quite surprised to read these responses because on my very first Regent cruise, which was the summer of 2010, I brought along an extension cord. The second day into our trip I noticed that the cord was missing from the room and upon investigation, was told that no extension cords are allowed in the cabins and have always believed that to be the case.

I'm not sure if they changed the rules or I was provided with incorrect information, but I am glad to know that I can again bring an extension cord without fear of breaking of the rules.

Gnomie:

After getting threatened by The Boss for excessive snoring, I've been on a CPAP for about five years. I and have learned to travel with an extension cord after having had a bad experience trying to get guest services to loan me one during a med cruise with RCCL. As mentioned above, I stow the cord as well as the machine during the daytime to free up some space, etc. At night, I plug it into the outlet located in the vanity desk. No worries.

Z and TB

I've been using a CPAP for over 17 years and taken it everywhere I travel. I always have an extension cord in the carry case. The cabin staff have always been helpful in getting things plugged in. On one cruise, they sent in the electrician who wired me up to the only available outlet (which was in the back of the T.V. set) He carefully taped the cord down the wall and across the carpet to go underneath the bed.

I sometimes travel overnight to Nascar races on a "race ready" bus that converts from dining tables to bunk beds.The power outlets are positioned at every bed level. More and more people now know what sleep apnea is. I have had six friends get tested over the years, and all talk about their better quality of life. (and a happy wife)

Edited by CANDYAPPLE

I carry a 12 ft extension cord with three outlets on it and it has come in handy many times on cruises, hotel rooms, family visits and even camp grounds. I have never had anything taken from my cruise stateroom or hotel room. As others have mentioned, I take the cord up at night but leave it with my machine on the nightstand when I am out during the day.

Take your cord and get a good nights sleep.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently was put on a CPAP machine and the manual explicitly states it should never be used with an extension cord. Are those of you using extension cords just ignoring warnings or perhaps you have a different model?

Edited by Ready for a Cruise
Last word was misspelled

I recently was put on a CPAP machine and the manual explicitly states it should never be used with an extension cord. Are those of you using extension cords just ignoring warnings or perhaps you have a different model?

Probably a better model !! lol

Interestingly, CPAP development started in Australia, spread to England, then Canada and the U.S. Seventeen years ago, I usually had to take the CPAP out of the case and set it up at airport security, since they had no idea what it was. I travel with two bottles of distilled water in the carry case. I have never been refused to take the water on a plane. I labeled the water bottles as "Medical Water". In the past few years, airport security at some airports has a "tester" for the water for security. Two weeks ago in Costa Rica, they simply said, "CPAP?" I said yes, and away I went. Things have become a lot easier.

Edited by CANDYAPPLE