Drives from Livorno

seaofwonder

Hello,

We are planning on renting a car and avoiding Florence (have visited before). We would like to see Pisa (super quick stop), but are not sure where else to go.

Lucca?

San Gimignano?

Pisa would be on the way to Lucca, whereas San G is the opposite direction.

Any other suggestions?

We were thinking of stopping early at Pisa for a quick peek and pictures and then heading to another town. We'd like to stroll, eat gelato and pasta and then slowly make our way back to the port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Siena and Lucca are my two favorite towns in Italy. Pisa was a waste of time. San Gimignano is also very nice. I have rented many cars in Italy and the only bad experience (make that terrible experience) I've had is with Hertz.

Fab - thank you! I'm assuming you rented a car?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

actually we hired a tour from Rudys company Rome car tours as I drive as part of my job so last thing I want to do on holiday is drive especially on the "wrong" side of the road LOL

However the route we took could be easily duplicated with a self drive

If we returned to that area would probably head North to Lucca but plenty to recommend area we saw

• 2 weeks later...
Siena and Lucca are my two favorite towns in Italy. Pisa was a waste of time. San Gimignano is also very nice. I have rented many cars in Italy and the only bad experience (make that terrible experience) I've had is with Hertz.

Pisa is definitely not a waste of time. The Sacred Compound with the Leaning Tower is a must see. I do agree that Siena and Lucca are great places to visit. San G is interesting and worth a stop if going to Siena. It might be hard to see Lucca, Pisa, Siena and San G in one day.

We are planning to rent in Livorni and drive to Pisa and Lucca or San Gimiagno. Currently have reservation at Hertz (Livorno Ferry Terminal - Calata Carrara). Who else do you recommend ? And are car rentals easily accessible to cruise ship dock?

We were in Liverno a few weeks ago and took the ship's shuttle into town, then a city bus to the train station, then the train to Pisa and changed to the train to Lucca. Was a great day trip and Lucca was one of the highlights of our cruise.

Easy to do and quite economical. The train station in Lucca is just a couple minutes walk from the gate through the city wall. Lots of helpful people if your Italian is a little rusty (mine is non-existent).

A bit less touristy and very scenic, a drive to the marble quarries of Carrara. There is a underground mine tour and great history. We stopped at the seaside for a view too. The highway went through a few villages, perfect for our morning cappuchino and pastry on the town square. We took a different road back to the ship and had a tasty lunch in a hillside town.

actually we hired a tour from Rudys company Rome car tours as I drive as part of my job so last thing I want to do on holiday is drive especially on the "wrong" side of the road LOL

I'm finding everyone's posts very interesting.................do you have a link to the Rudys company tour? That sounds like a perfect day. I must realize I'm NOT going to see everything on my first trip to Italy and it would be nice to really have a relaxing day, especially visiting a winery.

We are planning to rent in Livorni and drive to Pisa and Lucca or San Gimiagno. Currently have reservation at Hertz (Livorno Ferry Terminal - Calata Carrara). Who else do you recommend ? And are car rentals easily accessible to cruise ship dock?

The local Hertz franchisor is called Sifracar, and they can usually deliver your car to the pier. However, you should make them aware of your actual ship. If this has not been done you can simply e-mail them. Their website is Sifracar.com and they have an English language option.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums