Full transit by ferry, ship berthed at Colon

John Bull

Searched this forum for info, apols if I missed it.

On Thomson Dream, January 2015.

Our ship doesn't transit the canal but is berthed for a full day at Colon, sat 10 Jan, 8am to 5pm

We understand that we can do a full transit by ferry and then return by car or van.

Be grateful for any advice, names, links

- to get from ship to ferry

- ferry timetables

- to buy ferry tickets (advance purchase worthwhile?)

- to get back to Colon from the Pacific end of the canal.

- any reliable operator who can provide the package?

- any other advice welcomed too.

Many thanks

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

John, first let me say that "if" things operate the way they normally operate whenever there is a cruise ship in port the ferry operators assets are usually devoted to the cruise line on that day. What that means is there is little chance you could purchase tickets independently. The following link is the company that provides for Canal transits along with the vessel often used and their schedule for 2014... nothing out for 2015 yet.

https://www.pmatours.net/pacific_queen/index.html#

I would be surprised that Thomson would not offer a Canal transit excursion. Even if it is possible to book a Canal transit independently your port times are rather tight particularly when you consider the transit and transportation times to and from the ferry. Also your port times I don't believe are long enough for a full transit and more than likely this excursion would be a partial transit. While that may sound disappointing, this partial transit will take you from the Pacific, through Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks, then through Gaillard Cut ending in Gamboa. This would be the "Partial Northbound Transit" in the pmatours schedule. If you only see part of the Canal, this is the best part to see. The tour can also run in reverse from Gamboa.

I know that many cruisers like to avoid ship sponsored excursions, however this would be one excursion to make an exception and book through the ship. Not only are your port times too tight for a full transit, but they are also rather close for a partial transit. Allowing 4.5 to 5 hours for the actual transit on the ferry, plus 1.5 hours vehicle transportation to and from the ferry... your 9 hours of port time are fairly well spoken for. Times and schedules for Canal operations are always just a best guess as there are just way too many variables that causes things to slip from minutes to hours.

Hope you can work something out!

Thanks for the response, Bill.

OK, seems like a full transit isn't possible in this timescale.

Yes, Thomson are offering a partial transit - similar to what you've anticipated.

The ferry operator only selling to cruise lines? We've come across similar connivance between operator and cruise line before, such as the St Kitts sugar train. I can understand the commercial advantages to both, but it still grieves me. :(

We avoid ships tours because we prefer the spirit of adventure and the freedom to do our own thing at our own pace - and usually a great deal cheaper too.

But in this case, because you say the timing is tight (and Thomson are quoting their offering at 8 hours out of this 9 hour port-of-call) I agree it's the only sensible option.

And at least Thomson tours, exactly the same tours and the same operators as other cruise lines, are usually significantly better value than the others.

As you say, one of those times to bite the bullet.

I would only book this tour with your cruise line. I was on Celebrity and there was a delay with a similar tour and hundreds of passengers were several hours late getting back to the ship. There was a long delay for them to get into the lock. The ship waited for the them as it was a ship tour.

Thanks for the response, Bill.

OK, seems like a full transit isn't possible in this timescale.

Yes, Thomson are offering a partial transit - similar to what you've anticipated.

The ferry operator only selling to cruise lines? We've come across similar connivance between operator and cruise line before, such as the St Kitts sugar train. I can understand the commercial advantages to both, but it still grieves me. :(

We avoid ships tours because we prefer the spirit of adventure and the freedom to do our own thing at our own pace - and usually a great deal cheaper too.

But in this case, because you say the timing is tight (and Thomson are quoting their offering at 8 hours out of this 9 hour port-of-call) I agree it's the only sensible option.

And at least Thomson tours, exactly the same tours and the same operators as other cruise lines, are usually significantly better value than the others.

As you say, one of those times to bite the bullet.