SS United States: Crystal Halts Conversion

Crystal Cruises Concludes Technical Feasibility Study

Following an intensive, six-month evaluation, Crystal Cruises today determined that while the SS United States is structurally sound, the technical and commercial challenges associated with returning the historic liner to service as a modern cruise ship have unfortunately proven insurmountable. As a show of support for the vessel, Crystal Cruises will be making a significant donation of $350,000 to aid in the Conservancy's ongoing mission to save the ship. The Conservancy intends to resume its pursuit of stationary redevelopment opportunities for America's Flagship.

The full text of the press release issued jointly by Crystal and the Conservancy is available here.

A Message from the Executive Director

Dear Conservancy Supporters:

Today the SS United States Conservancy is sharing with our supporters that our option agreement with Crystal Cruises will not advance. As you know, in February of this year the Conservancy signed an exclusive option agreement with Crystal with the goal of returning the SS United States to seagoing service. Unfortunately, transforming America's Flagship into a modern, commercial cruise ship in compliance with current international regulations proved too challenging and would have imposed major changes to the ship's historic design well beyond those initially envisioned.

To our members and supporters from across the country and around the world: we vow to do everything in our power to never "give up the ship." We remain deeply committed to saving this unique and powerful symbol of the nation's strength, history, and innovation. Crystal's comprehensive assessments of the SS United States determined that the vessel remains in remarkably strong structural condition, as the Conservancy has long contended. That means America's Flagship still has enormous potential as a stationary mixed-use development and museum in New York or another urban waterfront setting. We will immediately resume our aggressive outreach to qualified developers and investors to secure the ship's future.

During the option period, Crystal's technical team invested significant resources and conducted a comprehensive evaluation of the vessel. These assessments included: underwater inspections of the hull by divers, examinations of her fuel and salt water ballasting tanks, three-dimensional scans of the entire vessel, preparation of a vessel tow plan, and a series of intensive engineering and technical studies. Crystal has generously provided many of these materials to the Conservancy, and these will be invaluable to us as we advance redevelopment alternatives.

We are also grateful to Crystal for providing a significant $350,000 donation to the Conservancy. Thanks to this contribution - and to our members - the SS United States is not in immediate danger.

The Conservancy acquired the SS United States five years ago, and together with our generous supporters we saved America's Flagship from certain destruction. Today more people than ever before are aware of the ship's plight and potential and they are adamant that we preserve this ship, an iconic national symbol and our sole remaining ocean liner, for generations to come. The next chapter of the SS United States' story has yet to be written, and I assure you that we are nowhere near ready to turn the final page. With your continued support, we will continue to advance our historic mission, full speed ahead!

The Conservancy was founded in 2004 to educate the public about the historic significance of the SS United States and protect and promote the great liner's legacy. We are continuing to build our major museum collection and archives to fulfill our curatorial mission. Earlier this year, we announced important acquisitions to our future museum collection, including a rare panel from the ship by artist Charles Tissot and hundreds of artifacts from The Mariners' Museum of Newport News. Our past partnerships with the Independence Seaport Museum, the Forbes Galleries, and the RMS Queen Mary as well as our planned collaborations with the Norman Rockwell Museum and the Virginia Museum of Transportation will help us share the ship's historic legacy with a growing audience.

We are busy planning a national reunion of former crewmembers and passengers (also open to Conservancy members and the public!) to take place in Philadelphia on September 17. Together, we have built a global movement, and while our job is not yet finished, we have a great deal to celebrate. For more information about the event, please click here.

Thanks to you, our dedicated and determined supporters, the SS United States remains afloat today. You are the reason she is still with us. We can't thank you enough for enabling us to preserve and protect the rich history of America's Flagship. Together, we will continue to work tirelessly to save the SS United States.

In profound gratitude for your continued support,

Susan Gibbs signature

Susan Gibbs

Executive Director

Although not unexpected, this was a disappointing turn. As recently as yesterday I received a bulk mailing brochure from Crystal which asked for a reply indicating what interest I had in future cruises.

In the list was cruises on the SS United States which I ticked and mailed back the coupon.

Hopefully the $1/3 million will restore her to permit treatment similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

Although not unexpected, this was a disappointing turn. As recently as yesterday I received a bulk mailing brochure from Crystal which asked for a reply indicating what interest I had in future cruises.

In the list was cruises on the SS United States which I ticked and mailed back the coupon.

Hopefully the $1/3 million will restore her to permit treatment similar to the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA.

Walt, you're kidding, right? There is no comparison between the current Big U and Queen Mary. She's a rusting, gutted ship. No interiors, no nothing. $3 million will not even restore the exterior, never mind the interior.

I hate to say it, but the scrappers await.

Walt, you're kidding, right? There is no comparison between the current Big U and Queen Mary. She's a rusting, gutted ship. No interiors, no nothing. $3 million will not even restore the exterior, never mind the interior.

I hate to say it, but the scrappers await.

Oh, hold it, Walt, you meant $350,000! I forgot the gift Crystal was giving them. That just pays docking fees for several months, while clueless Susan and the Conservancy await another knight in shining armor. It's not going to happen.

If you want the Big U to be another stationary Queen Mary, figure on $300-400 million.

Sorry, Susan, you cannot save grandpa's' legacy. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

Just my opinion, folks:

I am not surprised by Crystal's decision to pull out of this. I am always hopeful that the S. S. United States could be re-utilized or put back into service.

With the change of ownership of Crystal Cruises, I am of the opinion that their grand expansion plans for the Brand is going to become a financial issue. I expect further retrenchment of their plans.

• 2 months later...