It the cruise ship to Mount Gay Rum Factory walkable?

zdad59

Barbados is the last stop of our 7 night cruise this February. I was planning on making Barbados a casual day. I'd like to head over to the Mount Gay Rum facility for a quick tour. Then take a stroll into town for lunch at Mustor's. No other plans than that. Maybe walk around a bit more, before heading back to the ship. The question is, is it walkable, or should I expect to grab a cab?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

-

If we walked to Mount Gay Barbados Rum Distillery, (as previous posted wanted to do) would Brandons Beach be just up ahead? Can you walk there on sidewalks even though the map shows it as Jen Highway?

You said it was a long walk. Would it be a 1 hour walk (I walk slowly). OK with us.

For just walking along at the edge of the water, would Brandons Beach be good, in your opinion.

Thanks.

-

-

If we walked to Mount Gay Barbados Rum Distillery, (as previous posted wanted to do) would Brandons Beach be just up ahead? Can you walk there on sidewalks even though the map shows it as Jen Highway?

You said it was a long walk. Would it be a 1 hour walk (I walk slowly). OK with us.

For just walking along at the edge of the water, would Brandons Beach be good, in your opinion.

Thanks.

-

I can't answer most of your questions since 1) It's been almost 25 years ago and 2) we weren't aware of the Mount Gay Rum Distillery at that time. I may be able to help you some with your question about Brandon's beach though.

We were on a cruise for our honeymoon in 1992 and were in Barbados from 8AM till 10PM. We did an excursion during the day and had late seating for dinner. We saw the beach, which I now know as Brandon's beach, and decided to walk there for sunset. It wasn't too far of a walk but it was pretty late in the afternoon, so we didn't have the heat and blazing sun of midday to make the walk. I forget how long it took us to walk there, but it wasn't that long. But yes, it was good for just walking at the edge of the water...that's exactly what we did. Since Brandon's beach is on the western side of Barbados, the water is usually calmer, so we didn't have issues with waves.

• 4 weeks later...

It is not the easiest of hikes. As in any Port watch your backside and pockets.

The location is a small distillery and the Gift Shop/Bar which is higher than Ships prices.. you would think it would be lower with no VAT too.

• 2 months later...

The location is a small distillery and the Gift Shop/Bar which is higher than Ships prices.. you would think it would be lower with no VAT too.

Does the distillery have tours? What is the cost? Samples during tour?

Barbados outlets must charge tax and VAT on all purchases outside the "duty free" areas. Think the Barbados VAT is 17.50%, same as the UK.