Arriving at Narita International Airport - Japan - questions

dog

What can I expect upon arrival at NRT regarding immigration/customs, forms to fill in, documents required, what cannot be brought in?

I am coming from Vancouver B.C. on a Canadian Passport, staying in hotels 8 nights and will be on an 8 night cruise with all Japanese ports and one stop in Busan, S. Korea. The cruise begins and ends in Yokohama.

Thanks

dog:)

These might help you. The first one, check out the "Information Guide" should help in what is allowed into Japan and the second one discusses some things to consider. Depending on the number of planes arriving, it should not take you more than 30 minutes to get through customs and immigration.

http://www.customs.go.jp/english/passenger/

This is only one of many youtube videos on Narita

The cabin crew on your flight will give you a foreigner immigration form and a customs form. You should complete these before you land in Japan.

The immigration form has 2 parts, entry and departure. Fill out and sign both.

There are also a few items on the back of this form that must be completed.

The Customs form is very simple and can be completed in about 2 minutes.

After getting off the plane, you will need to walk about 5 minutes to the immigration area. There will be 3 different lines to choose; foreigners, special entry, and Japanese citizens.

The foreigners line is always the longest.

When you get to the head of the queue, there will be a person checking your forms to ensure that you have completed them correctly.

Then you face the Immigration officer - just like I do when entering Canada.

You will need to place your index fingers on a small module in front of you, and smile for the camera. Very simple, very quick, and very easy.

After he stamps your passport, you need to take the escalator down to the next level to pick up your bags. As you go down the escalator, a large video screen lists the baggage carousel assigned to your flight.

At the bottom of the escalator, pick up a luggage trolley, and go the assigned carousel. Your bags will probably be waiting for you.

Load the bags on the trolley and head for the Green Customs desks.

At the desk, present your customs form and passport.

The Officer may ask you a casual question, but probably not. The entire process will take less than a minute.

Next, go through the sliding glass doors to the arrival hall.

There you will find desks for transportation, foreign exchange, trains, buses, luggage delivery, etc.

If you are taking the limousine bus or taxi, the stops are just outside on this floor.

If you are taking the train, you must take the escalator or elevator to B2 level. You can purchase Narita Express train tickets via a vending machine, or from a service desk.

Your luggage trolley is designed to ride the escalator, so no problem.

If you have a JR Rail Pass, the JR "View" Office where you validate the pass is located on B2 as well.

Welcome to Japan.

Thank you both for being so thorough! I am purchasing the JR Pass and will exchange my voucher for a Pass at Narita. Very helpful.

Can I purchase the Wifi Pocket thing at the airport or do I need to order it before arrival?

I will take the Narita Express to Tokyo Station and my hotel is arranging to have someone meet me at the train platform.

Thanks

dog:)

I think you can purchase the wifi devise at the airport - we didn't use this, but there is another video that also recommended purchasing one, but if you are going to be outside the major cities. Most hotels have free wifi and many of the coffee shop have free wifi so you may not need it.\

• 2 months later...

All went well. Good signage in English. Train office downstairs to exchange JR pass vouchers for Passes. Line ups. Easy to find way to Narita Expess. 2 forms and passports checked at long line for fingerprinting, customs but all went well thanks for help. Had a perfect view of Mt Fuiji on right side of train. Tokyo to Kyoto.

Narita is a beautiful airport...ended up spending 4 hours there due to a delayed connection flight from LAX-SIN. Also just an FYI....they have the cleanest and most hi-tech restrooms you can imagine ;)

Yes restrooms in the airport and train stations I've been in here in Tokyo and Kyoto, Yokohama are clean. But in the ladies at train stations there was no soap or dryer/ paper towels to dry hands Yokohama had soap.

All went well. Good signage in English. Train office downstairs to exchange JR pass vouchers for Passes. Line ups. Easy to find way to Narita Expess. 2 forms and passports checked at long line for fingerprinting, customs but all went well thanks for help. Had a perfect view of Mt Fuiji on right side of train. Tokyo to Kyoto.

Just wanted to thank you for coming back and relaying your experience after the advice that was given. It is always helpful to know how things went and what worked and didn't for a person. I appreciated it.

I am inboard the ship now using the Pocket wifi I ordered online. It was delivered d to my hotel and works great! I will return it at the airport in 9 days. The help I've received on this Asia forum has made my experiences flawless. This cruise was a bit of a mystery. It appears to be mostly Japanese passengers but the staff are giving announcements in bot languages.

thanks for all the help..

In most ports we will have face to face immigration to get off the ship. Celebrity has provided excellent info once on board. In English.

Dog:)

Excuse typos, lost one lens in reading glasses!

Ahhh now that is something I would be interested to hear more - your experience with your pocket wifi - what site? how much? when you return it, if you could please relay your experiences, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to decide if I should go that route, or just purchase through Verizon like I did last time, but something didn't gel and I got an extra charge. I was also using WIFI on land but that was hit or miss. I am able to use my mintues on board ship but I think my problem was when I was exploring on land and using internet apps and such.

Thanks and enjoy!

If you Google something like "free WI-FI for tourists in Japan", you will find information on a free App from the Japanese government that overseas visitors can download. When you arrive in Japan, tourist information at the airport will give you a password that will allow you to use the app to receive free WI-FI anywhere in Japan for a few weeks.

If you Google something like "free WI-FI for tourists in Japan", you will find information on a free App from the Japanese government that overseas visitors can download. When you arrive in Japan, tourist information at the airport will give you a password that will allow you to use the app to receive free WI-FI anywhere in Japan for a few weeks.

YES!!! this is even better cuz then I don't have to worry about losing the other device. I can put this right on my phone...will check it out! thanks.

YES!!! this is even better cuz then I don't have to worry about losing the other device. I can put this right on my phone...will check it out! thanks.

I believe this is the link for the app on the Free Wifi http://flets.com/freewifi/spot.html

Although I have been reading and doing lots of research and not sure this will working everywhere in Japan. I plan to download this and get this but the more research I have done I am thinking the that I will also get the Pocket Wifi. The problem with the App is you have to be in a Hot Spot or keep trying to find a Hot Spot. Where it appears this pocket wifi works really well and may also work on the ship. It is basically providing you with you mobile hotspot. It can be used for multiple devices.

I will be there a total for 12 days, so for $72.00 this seems like a bargain especially if I can use on the ship. My Mobile service is with Verizon and we now have wifi calling and texting so I will be able to have unlimited service.

I too will be very interested in hearing a review back from dog on his Celebrity cruise.

https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/pocket-wifi

Thanks for the information! I have Verizon and thought I took the international plan but still ended up getting an additional charge and I am not sure where/how. I use airplane mode on the ship or the ship internet since I have minutes.

Will keep looking ....thank you!

NARITA AIRPORT QUESTION....we are thinking of purchasing our body wash and shampoo when we get to Japan rather than bringing it. Is there one of those drugstores in the airport? We may not get to the mall or shopping until late in the evening.

On the JR pass website I saw pocket wifi and that is where I ordered it. Paid Canadian $. Hotel had it on arrival. I will give to hotel to mail it back to them. It is wonderful. Not in Korea but in Japan ports and at sea when close enough to shore.

On the JR pass website I saw pocket wifi and that is where I ordered it. Paid Canadian $. Hotel had it on arrival. I will give to hotel to mail it back to them. It is wonderful. Not in Korea but in Japan ports and at sea when close enough to shore.

Dog, thanks, that is great to hear. I plan to order from the JR pass website as well, although I will have to mail out probably from Narita when we leave Japan.

Were you able to use it rather than the ship wifi?

Dog, thanks, that is great to hear. I plan to order from the JR pass website as well, although I will have to mail out probably from Narita when we leave Japan.

Were you able to use it rather than the ship wifi?

sometimes works on board like now 2-3 hours prior to docking, but is am pleased for the price. You can probably return at airport. Details good when you go online to order. I am very impressed. I can post photos on facebook, view my security system at home most of the time and get to stay on longer then I have with ship wifi. It did not work near Korea.

sometimes works on board like now 2-3 hours prior to docking, but is am pleased for the price. You can probably return at airport. Details good when you go online to order. I am very impressed. I can post photos on facebook, view my security system at home most of the time and get to stay on longer then I have with ship wifi. It did not work near Korea.

Thanks :), I kind of figured with So Korea, I have a small wifi package with cruise line so both will work perfect.

Thanks again for reporting back!!

In a nutshell, how big of a deal are carrying medications when arriving at NRT? Assuming any checks would be done at customs. Seems there's a whole *huge* thread on this topic. Is bringing meds home the issue? Never once have I brought a letter from a doctor in all my travels, I don't carry medications in their original bottles (I use a pill holder), and never once have I had an issue traveling to Europe multiple times. Strange that they are so strict about even things like ibuprofen. I use a prescription drug for lower back pain (diclofenac). Do I really need a doctor's letter for that? Wife always brings ibuprofen for potential migraine headaches. Sounds crazy. But I don't want to be detained or be without required meds. Lots of walking to do, so I'll need my anti-inflammatories.

Also wondering, what's a reliable web site for U.S. citizens to purchase a JR Pass from? Definitely need one. Hate that you have to wait for 3 months to purchase before you exchange the voucher for the pass, or it will be invalid. We're not traveling to Japan until late September.

You fill in immigration cards , asking about drugs at arrival in Japan airport. No one asked us about meds. But the forms have drug questions.

Also, we went fromYokohama to Nagasaki on ship. More immigration, questions and forms there.

Returning to Japan. At Niigata more immigration to get off ship. With fingerprinting, face recognition. They came inboard with face masks and equipment to take our temperature. Many quarantine signs.

Just tell the truth re. Meds.

I went to a travel agency which deals mainly with Japanese tourism in Toronto and bought JR Pass from them. No mailing required. I just searched online for a travel agency in my area.