Currency

angeleyes27

When I travel for work or leisure, I always use local ATMs for any cash I need. Buying foreign currency at home is too difficult and expensive (given my local options) and I have a money market acct specifically used for travel - no ATM fees (for the acct - some machines have them, that's fine - it's still a better exchange rate and I can figure out on-site how much money I'll need)

I also use ATM's to obtain local currency rather than getting money at home at very unfavorable exchange rates. If your arriving at Narita in Japan there are a couple of ATM's when you exit customs and immigration on the right hand side. If your arriving at another airport in Japan go to the airport site and find the map of the airport and it should indicate where the ATM's are. For China, I exchanged a small amount of money on the ship and then got more at an ATM. If your arriving at the Beijing airport (and I assume at Shanghai) there are two or three PRC sponsored banks in the arrival hall that you might use. I think they all use the same exchange rate since the RMB is a controlled currency.

Use ATM's from major banks and not the ones from companies that specialize in exchanging money. They typically have exchange rate booths located in most US airports and major airports in foreign countries. I would also check with your bank to see what system they belong to and if there are ATM's in China and Japan that you can use.

Get your local currency before you go. Banks, money exchange or on line. The amounts I take, unfortunately, do not create any worry about exchange rates, it is part of holiday costs.

Some ships will have currency exchange on board either through ATM or at pursers desk.

Let your bank know where and when you are going or they may freeze or block your cards.

Use local ATMs most, especially in Japan will have English translations.

Be prepared for a different culture and take it all in. That's part of travelling. Enjoy

• 1 month later...

If you don't need a lot of money just get it at your local bank which most banks can arrange. You will pay more for it then using your ATM in country but in the scheme of things it's not a big difference. You can then supplement it by using the in country ATM. We do use Credit Cards for purchases in Japan and find them widely accepted.

For China we've gotten money ahead of time at home and often just at a money exchange store at the ports.

Keith

Just remember in Japan that not all ATMs will take North American debit cards -- you'll need to use the ones in post offices or 7-11s.......there may be a few other places, but it's just something to be aware of.

Personally, when traveling I like to take just enough of the local currency to get me into town and maybe buy lunch, just in case the ATMs at airports aren't working or too busy, etc. After that, I get currency at ATMs.

Just remember in Japan that not all ATMs will take North American debit cards -- you'll need to use the ones in post offices or 7-11s.......there may be a few other places, but it's just something to be aware of.

Personally, when traveling I like to take just enough of the local currency to get me into town and maybe buy lunch, just in case the ATMs at airports aren't working or too busy, etc. After that, I get currency at ATMs.

Yes, we visited Japan in 2015 and had read on cc that the only ATMs in Japan that take US debit cards are at Post Offices and 7/11. Because of that, we exchanged in the USA with Bank of America that has descent rates. We took about $900 worth of yen.

• 3 weeks later...

In recent years I have never had a problem finding an ATM machine that will accept my debit card in Japan or China. Some bank ATM machines do not accept our cards--but in Japan 7/11 is every where--and international banks like HSBC and Bank of China are easy to find,

I would never take currency from a USA bank--I might decide later on a different amout to need--and their rates of exchange are much greater.,

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, we visited Japan in 2015 and had read on cc that the only ATMs in Japan that take US debit cards are at Post Offices and 7/11. Because of that, we exchanged in the USA with Bank of America that has descent rates. We took about $900 worth of yen.

Can you order currency from BOA online or did you do it in a local branch? And were you able to specify the denominations? I'm a BOA customer, but only have their credit cards.

My local credit union will order Yen for me fee-free. Don't know what exchange rate they get. It takes about 2 weeks for them to order, and I believe I can specify how many of which denomination notes I get. They won't order coins, but I don't think any bank will. Given the vending machine culture of Japan, I'm sure coins will appear soon enough just as they do on super mario brothers. :-)

I had and used Japanese coins a lot, since the smallest bill is 1000 Yen.

Now that I've done my 4 days in Tokyo, I highly recommend getting a Suica card and adding value as needed. It can be used easily for transit on any line, and also used in a lot of stores.....so at the end of your visit you can use up the last of the value charged to the card on a drink etc. I found it really convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I guess it depends where you live. We live about fifteen minutes from one of the Chinese hubs in Sydney where there are several money changers.We shop around for currency, not just Chinese, when our dollar is high. We were just on a four week tour in China and people who needed ATMs would often have to get a guide to go with them. The pace of the trip was hectic and we constantly needed cash. Most but not all hotels would change currency and it was much easier to have the bulk of what we needed in cash. We needed it for compulsory service charges, extra drinks, extra sightseeing, any purchases in markets or small local shops.

I guess it depends where you live. We live about fifteen minutes from one of the Chinese hubs in Sydney where there are several money changers.We shop around for currency, not just Chinese, when our dollar is high. We were just on a four week tour in China and people who needed ATMs would often have to get a guide to go with them. The pace of the trip was hectic and we constantly needed cash. Most but not all hotels would change currency and it was much easier to have the bulk of what we needed in cash. We needed it for compulsory service charges, extra drinks, extra sightseeing, any purchases in markets or small local shops.

The OP was asking about Japan; and although a little yen is nice to have in advance for taxis or snacks, credit cards are now welcomed in most venues and ATMs are readily available to get additional yen as needed.