Brazil Visa Application Form

hpeabody

I need a little assistance, please. I am beginning the process of applying for a visa for Brazil. I am a US citizen. I have started filling out the on-line form and I have some questions. On the application form after I provide my passport information the form requires "OTHER DOCUMENT" What is appropriate? My drivers license? I will be entering Brazil at multiple entry points between Feb 27, 2017 and Mar 10, 2017. First entry will be at the Brazil/Argentina border at Iguacu Falls (I will be in a hotel in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, not in Brazil) I will then board a cruise ship in Buenos Aires and continue along the coast visiting Brazil. There is an area for CONTACT IN BRAZIL that seems to be required. What is appropriate there? I know there can be absolutely NO ERRORS OR OMISSIONS, so I want to get it right. It would be nice if they had a little pop up with instructions for specific data.

I emailed the consulate, but I really do not expect any response.

I need a little assistance, please. I am beginning the process of applying for a visa for Brazil. I am a US citizen. I have started filling out the on-line form and I have some questions. On the application form after I provide my passport information the form requires "OTHER DOCUMENT" What is appropriate? My drivers license? I will be entering Brazil at multiple entry points between Feb 27, 2017 and Mar 10, 2017. First entry will be at the Brazil/Argentina border at Iguacu Falls (I will be in a hotel in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, not in Brazil) I will then board a cruise ship in Buenos Aires and continue along the coast visiting Brazil. There is an area for CONTACT IN BRAZIL that seems to be required. What is appropriate there? I know there can be absolutely NO ERRORS OR OMISSIONS, so I want to get it right. It would be nice if they had a little pop up with instructions for specific data.

I emailed the consulate, but I really do not expect any response.

The online application is used for visa types other than tourist, visas which may require another document in addition to the passport.

Your drivers license is a US state issued document, not a national/federal one like a passport (i.e. not internationally recognized unless alongside an international license, in this case the one specifically for Brazil) of no more value as a legal document in Brazil than a piece of toilet paper.

Contact can be any hotel in Brazil in which you are staying. They aren't going to check, ever.

From the Boston Brazilian Consulate's site:

"In the CONTACTS tab, please include your hotel/airbnb/relative/friend/company in Brazil information."

and

"c) UPLOAD (BIOMETRIC DATA AND SCANNED DOCUMENTS)

When you are done filling out the e-form, please upload a recent 2x2 photo. In order to expedite your visa application, please upload all other required electronic files, such as signature, passport information + signature pages, itinerary, business letter , proof of legal immigration status etc. Please refrain from uploading your driver's license unless otherwise required. "

and

And from the Chicago Brazilian Consulate's site, instructions for filling out the form.

Scroll down to where it says: "If you are experiencing difficulty,.......":

http://chicago.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/vitur_(tourist_visa).xml

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Thank You so much VidaNaPraia I am still a little unsure

"Your drivers license is a US state issued document, not a national/federal one like a passport (i.e. not internationally recognized unless alongside an international license, in this case the one specifically for Brazil) of no more value as a legal document in Brazil than a piece of toilet paper."

I have no type of other document other than birth certificate, which has no expiration date, that is why I ask about drivers license. If that is not acceptable, what kind of document is acceptable? Is a US passport alone sufficient without completing the OTHER DOCUMENT area of the application form?

I am not staying anywhere on land in Brazil. I have seen somewhere I can use the cruise ship, but it does not have all the information the form requires. I guess I can try and fill in as much as I can there.

Thank You so much VidaNaPraia I am still a little unsure

Your drivers license is a US state issued document, not a national/federal one like a passport (i.e. not internationally recognized unless alongside an international license, in this case the one specifically for Brazil) of no more value as a legal document in Brazil than a piece of toilet paper."

I have no type of other document other than birth certificate, which has no expiration date, that is why I ask about drivers license. If that is not acceptable, what kind of document is acceptable? Is a US passport alone sufficient without completing the OTHER DOCUMENT area of the application form?

I am not staying anywhere on land in Brazil. I have seen somewhere I can use the cruise ship, but it does not have all the information the form requires. I guess I can try and fill in as much as I can there.

You're overthinking.

Keep in mind that they really aren't trying to torpedo your application.

What other document do you need for a tourist visa?

Does the online form require that info or can you go to Next? (I haven't filled out the form in a while.)

On the "If you, etc..." page, the items 8,9, & 10 are types of "other " documents that could be required. If they don't apply to you, they don't apply to you..

Contact the cruise line. They have to have an address they use in/for Brazil (and the accompanying info).

Edited by VidaNaPraia

VidaNaPraia, thanks again for responding. Below is what I see on my screen while trying again to complete the visa application (without their website frames, they do not copy)

Other Document

Name* The completion of the field 'Name' is mandatory.

Number* The completion of the field 'Name' is mandatory. The completion of the field 'Number' is mandatory.

Date Of Expiry (mm/dd/yyyy)

I can not proceed with the red areas. This is what prompted me to post. I can't get past that without entering data. I did look at the link to Chicago, but their form is nothing like the one for Los Angeles. I have a Global Entry card, might that be acceptable? I doubt there is any way to get an LA consulate person's help. I understand they do not respond to email or answer phones.

I am really stuck here. UGH!

Hi, we just filled out our applications and had some of the same questions. For "other document" we used our drivers licenses. And we checked the "not informed" box where they wanted the Brazilian address since we are just going to Iguazu Falls for the day.

We had our appointments at the consulate (LA) last week and they said it would take a week to process the visa. So I'm assuming I filled everything out OK but I guess I will know for sure on Thursday when I go back to pick up my passport. Good luck.

Hi, we just filled out our applications and had some of the same questions. For "other document" we used our drivers licenses. And we checked the "not informed" box where they wanted the Brazilian address since we are just going to Iguazu Falls for the day.

We had our appointments at the consulate (LA) last week and they said it would take a week to process the visa. So I'm assuming I filled everything out OK but I guess I will know for sure on Thursday when I go back to pick up my passport. Good luck.

Thank You, I was hoping someone else had the same issues and used the LA Consulate. I tried my drivers license too and it was accepted on the form, but was advised above not to. Then I later realized I have Global Entry and tried that, it also was accepted on the form. I was just about to try the little not informed box about the contact. That area looks like it is for folks visiting friends or family, I am going to be on a cruise ship with 2 stops in Brazil (but also visiting Iguazu Falls from Buenos Aires first) My passport photo is now just over a year old, I guess I have to go get passport photos made again. Did you have to get a new passport photo? I am glad to hear it is taking a week, sounds good.

Did you have to get a new passport photo? I am glad to hear it is taking a week, sounds good.

Yes we just went to Costco and had them done. Mine too is just over a year old. Oh, and double-check to make sure you have enough room in your passport. I thought my husband did but the agent said he didn't, so now he has to get a new passport first. I also found out they don't let you just add pages anymore.

I did look at the link to Chicago, but their form is nothing like the one for Los Angeles.

The application form on this site:

https://formulario-mre.serpro.gov.br/

is a Federal Government of Brazil form, not a consular form, and all Brazilian Consulate sites should send applicants to that same site.

If Chicago is using something else for their example photos, that seems strange. (?????)

Anyway, you seem to have figured out something that works.

It does sound, though, that people are using their drivers license because it is not possible to move on through the application without filling in those "other document" fields, and then uploading a copy of it with all the other documents. That seems not to be correct, since the instructions above are emphatically not to upload the drivers license copy. (But logically, if they require a second document, then it should be uploaded.) Ah, Brazilian bureaucracy.......

OK, I got a new passport photo today. I uploaded the photo and signature. Then I see there is another DOCUMENTS place to upload copies. I saw drivers license there so I did that and changed the application back to drivers license. I have spent the last hour unsuccessfully trying to find out if there are any other DOCUMENTS they require to be uploaded to the application form. Really, I am not stupid, but they really need detail instructions for the actual application form. UGH!!!!!

Documents to bring? Do they require proof of exit, Itinerary or anything like that.

Edited by hpeabody

Hi, I agree with you about the application. The only things we uploaded were our photos and signatures.

I was just coming here to tell you to bring a copy of your itinerary. The instructions didn't say to bring one, but we did, and they asked for it. I just had the printout from the airline about our flights (none of which actually involve Brazil) and they seemed to be satisfied with that.

Hi, I agree with you about the application. The only things we uploaded were our photos and signatures.

I was just coming here to tell you to bring a copy of your itinerary. The instructions didn't say to bring one, but we did, and they asked for it. I just had the printout from the airline about our flights (none of which actually involve Brazil) and they seemed to be satisfied with that.

Thank you again. LOL, The photo and signature look so distorted with their mandatory sizes. Oh well, I did it. I may be ready to go in. :)

Documents to bring? Do they require proof of exit, Itinerary or anything like that.

You want to bring Xerox copies of your passport, and leave the original on the ship or in the hotel safe, except when crossing from Argentina to Brazil at the falls. That crossing is usually pretty fast/superficial.

Usually, as at any border in the world, immigration might ask some raggedy backpacker for proof of exit or funds to stay for the time stated, but not likely in the case of middle-class looking tourists. You would of course have a credit card or two to flash if required to prove funds.

I have never in 20 years of regular visits been asked for a printed itinerary at Brazilian immigration on entry. But then I can explain about my trip in Portuguese. Usually they just ask basic questions like 'purpose of trip' and 'staying how long'. Maybe the itinerary helps them with non-Portuguese speakers. Don't expect anyone, even those in the tourism sector, to speak English, although a few do.

Good luck with your interview and happy travels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I willed out the form no problems when I got to the photo and signature it told me I need to send it with 431x513 pixels who knows what a pixel is. I must of done this a dozen times and, still can't get it . I got my picture from costco mine are regular passport pictures what am I doing wrong??? I think I'm just going to use a service but, it kills me because I have an office right her in Miami:mad:

I willed out the form no problems when I got to the photo and signature it told me I need to send it with 431x513 pixels who knows what a pixel is. I must of done this a dozen times and, still can't get it . I got my picture from costco mine are regular passport pictures what am I doing wrong??? I think I'm just going to use a service but, it kills me because I have an office right her in Miami:mad:

Since my scan to computer function wasn't working on my printer, I just scanned my passport photo into an email, sent it to myself, and saved it on my drive. I was given the option of a variety of sizes and just picked the middle size. When I saved it to my drive it looked like the normal size passport picture on a blank sheet of paper. When I saved it to the on-line form an outline appeared of a face and shoulders with the ability to crop the picture to fit the outline. Since my picture was smaller I just ignored it and saved it as is. I had no problem adding it to the on line documentation and successfully processing the application and getting an official receipt. Don't forget to glue your passport photo onto the official receipt.

The process was similar for the signature. I signed the middle of a blank page and when you save it to the on-line form there is the ability to crop it down to size. Don't forget to sign the official receipt and add your printed name and phone number as a last step.

I hope this helps and you don't have to spend lots more money!

This might help too if you do apply at the consulate in person - I just posted it on another thread yesterday:

We applied for our Brazilian visas yesterday at the Miami consulate. Here are my impressions and some suggestions if you live in Florida and are planning to apply in person:

• The on-line application is much more complex than the one we completed in 2009. Make sure you make copies of everything you attach on line (visa photo, signature, passport, drivers license, letter of credit, arrival/departure reservations, hotel reservations, etc.) and bring them with you. The consulate's on-line instructions were thorough and the step by step instruction on completing the on-line application were sufficient.
    • You also need to bring your completed on-line receipt signed and with photo attached, your passport (duh!), a $160 US Postal Money order (we saw 3 people turned away for not having that), and a signed letter requesting a visa. We also brought a Priority Mail envelope for returning the visas by mail since one trip of 1 hour each way is enough for us!
    • The consulate is open for visa processing from 2 pm to 4 pm but we heard the guard say he opens the doors at 1:30 so people don't need to wait outside in the heat. You are given a number denoting visa application or visa pickup. We arrived at 2 pm and had number 14 for visa applications. We waited a half hour and the interview took 10 minutes (5 minutes each). The staffer said they would mail us our passports in 14 days. We were done by 2:45.
    • There is little public parking nearby but the building has valet parking for $8 up to 4 hours.
    • We made a day of it and spent the morning and early afternoon at Vizcaya Museum and Gardens - a 100 year old house on Biscayne Bay (and only 4 miles from the consulate) with lovely gardens. I highly recommend it if you are driving some distance to get to the consulate!

A pixel is one of the dots that make up the image of the photo.

You have not really given enough information about what you have already done (the steps you followed to see exactly what you have done) to allow anyone to help you with technical information.

Ask yourself if it is worth about an extra hundred dollars each to be rid of the frustration you seem to have worked yourself up into or, if you calm down and listen rationally, what you could do with that money on the trip.

Edited by VidaNaPraia